Should uPNP be enabled on my router

Old December 24th 04, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

Default Should uPNP be enabled on my router

I have a D-Link G604T router with the latest firmware. My son has just come
home for Christmas from University and started to use MSN Messenger on the
computer in his room. On several occasion the router has crashed needing a
reset. As it never crashed whilst he was away I relate it his usage. Nothing
else he does on his computer seems to affect the router. Searching on Google
seem to suggest it is related to file transfers using MSN between him and
his friends and suggest enabling Universal Plug and Play on the router - it
is disabled by default.

The question is, is this likely to help with this router and does enabling
uPNP on the router leave me open to any internet nasty.

Old December 24th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article Kimball K Kinnison says...
I have a D-Link G604T router with the latest firmware. My son has just come
home for Christmas from University and started to use MSN Messenger on the
computer in his room. On several occasion the router has crashed needing a
reset. As it never crashed whilst he was away I relate it his usage. Nothing
else he does on his computer seems to affect the router. Searching on Google
seem to suggest it is related to file transfers using MSN between him and
his friends and suggest enabling Universal Plug and Play on the router - it
is disabled by default.

The question is, is this likely to help with this router and does enabling
uPNP on the router leave me open to any internet nasty.

I have the DSL 604+ and have UPnP eabled. No nasties here. It just
allows a UPnP app to open up ports as required. Can't understand why it
crashed though as it shouldn't make a difference apart from him not
being able to file transfer.

--
Conor

-- George Patton