Anyone got a 5V 2A PSU (4 Belkin Router) please?.

Old December 24th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default Anyone got a 5V 2A PSU (4 Belkin Router) please?.

Hi all,

I just thought I'd ask here ... it being Xmyth eve n all g .. if
anyone might have a spare 240V AC - 5V @ 2A DC PSU that I could use
on this Belkin F5D7230-4 DSL Router I have been given (it was bought
in error then the PSU lost along with a 802.11g PCI card .. ????). I
thought someone might have had the router swapped (lifetime gtee etc)
and ended up with a spare PSU ..? I don't have a use for the router
such but thought it might be handy for doing WiFi tests or as a switch
/ hub or AP / Bridge?

I'd be happy to swap it for some drinking vouchers etc?

Maplin's website is down at the moment and although you can get them
out there in Google land it get's more difficult / expensive once you
go over 1.5 A or so.

I *do* have a nice 6V 2.1A unit here (with the wrong size DC plug but
that can be changed easily) .. anyone know if there is an internal
reg on this router (I wouldn't think so if the unit calls for 5V DC
?).

All the best ..

T i m
Old December 24th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

T i m wrote:

I *do* have a nice 6V 2.1A unit here (with the wrong size DC plug but
that can be changed easily) .. anyone know if there is an internal
reg on this router (I wouldn't think so if the unit calls for 5V DC
?).

You'd be very unlucky if any damage resulted from feeding 6v to a 5v router.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 24th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:20:06 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"

T i m wrote:

I *do* have a nice 6V 2.1A unit here (with the wrong size DC plug but
that can be changed easily) .. anyone know if there is an internal
reg on this router (I wouldn't think so if the unit calls for 5V DC
?).

You'd be very unlucky if any damage resulted from feeding 6v to a 5v router.

Yup, that's me ...

My mate bought a new MP3 player and I bought his old (faulty) one off
him cheap (Archos Studio Jukebox 20) for my daughter (after repairing
it). ;-)

He couldn' find (or couldn't be bothered to look) for the right PSU /
charger to go with it so I checked it up on the net and found the
requirements were met via one of those 'universal' PSU's I had
already. I set (and measured) the voltage, chose the correct plug and
set the polarity. Plugged it all in and it displayed 'Charging' ..
result! My (14yr old) daughter wanted to test it straight away so I
let her ..

A couple of days later my daughter mentioned that 'it wasn't charging'
and after some basic tests I came to the conclusion that the player
had been damaged .. because my daughter had pulled out the power plug
and the 'universal' end had come off and she had simply plugged it
back together .. but it's not polarized ... (that's how you set the
polarity) .. ;-(

That's how lucky I am ... find a penny then loose a pound .. ;-(

Thanks anyway .... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

"The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncomming train"

Old December 24th 04, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

T i m wrote:

[...]

Use super glue next time, if nothing else to glue her hands together....

Old December 24th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:17:28 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

A couple of days later my daughter mentioned that 'it wasn't charging'
and after some basic tests I came to the conclusion that the player
had been damaged .. because my daughter had pulled out the power plug
and the 'universal' end had come off and she had simply plugged it
back together .. but it's not polarized ... (that's how you set the
polarity) .. ;-(

Use super glue next time, if nothing else to glue her hands together....

I had considered that .. (her hands) but it wasn't her fault ..
sigh

I did ask why she she didn't bring it to me when it became unplugged
and she said she "didn't think it would be a problem" ..( if only she
had realised or if *I* had said "Make sure if this plug comes apart
....") had it been AC ... ;-)

I was really only testing it and would have soldered the proper plug
to the lead (and hot-melt glued the voltage selector switch in
position) as soon as I was sure it was all working ok... ;-(

Ho hum .. one step forward ....

All the best ..

T i m

Old December 24th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

You'd be very unlucky if any damage resulted from feeding 6v to a 5v
router.

Yup, that's me ...

I never said anything about *polarity*!

I still maintain that you wouldn't damage it by feeding it with 6v as long
as the polarity was correct.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 25th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"

wrote:

You'd be very unlucky if any damage resulted from feeding 6v to a 5v
router.

Yup, that's me ...

I never said anything about *polarity*!

I know ... and I didn't even consider it an issue .. ;-)

I still maintain that you wouldn't damage it by feeding it with 6v as long
as the polarity was correct.

You could be right .. ;-)

My thinking though is that iff it was supplied with say a 9V
unregulated supply it could well have a 5V regulator inside to do the
... em regulation (like a 7805).

As it says 5V DC @ 2A on the back of the unit (and shows the parity
g) it would suggest that the 5V might be used directly (otherwise
they would have to fit a 5V 2A reg and they are less common) ?

I can't remember the tolerances for devices rated for 5V use but I
think 6V *is* within tollerance but what if this PSU (marked as 6V)
actually puts out 6.75 or 7V ?

And knowing my luck ... ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Old January 10th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Turnbull

wrote:

You'd be very unlucky if any damage resulted from feeding 6v to a 5v
router.

I still maintain that you wouldn't damage it by feeding it with 6v as long
as the polarity was correct.

My thinking though is that iff it was supplied with say a 9V
unregulated supply it could well have a 5V regulator inside to do the
.. em regulation (like a 7805).

As it says 5V DC @ 2A on the back of the unit (and shows the parity
g) it would suggest that the 5V might be used directly (otherwise
they would have to fit a 5V 2A reg and they are less common) ?

I can't remember the tolerances for devices rated for 5V use but I
think 6V *is* within tollerance but what if this PSU (marked as 6V)
actually puts out 6.75 or 7V ?

It depends on what type of logic chips are in it. The tolerance for TTL
and related families which use 5V, for example, is about 5% for proper
operation. TTL will withstand about +10%, but 6V is 20% and would almost
certainly damage it. On the other hand, most CMOS won't mind a bit.

Also important (for reliability rather than not letting the magic smoke out)
is the ripple or noise on the supply. An unregulated supply will have lots
of both.

--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Network Manager