BA: Netgear DG834G for £45

Old December 24th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

Default BA: Netgear DG834G for £45

Yep, paid over £90 for mine at the time!!!

Half price in the PCWorld Sale (now on but ends 27 Dec !)

www.pcworld.co.uk

Just checked and they were "temporarily out of stock" on the website - maybe
stores have them at this price too?

Andy

Old December 24th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

Default Netgear DG834G for £45

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message
"Yep, paid over £90 for mine at the time!!!"

"Half price in the PCWorld Sale (now on but ends 27 Dec !)"

PC Worlds idea of half price is that -

Old December 24th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:11:12 -0000, "Ed Start"
wrote:

PC Worlds idea of half price is that -

wrong ! the thing you posted doesn't have a G on the end of its model
number, its the wired-only version whereas the thread is about the
802.11g version

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 24th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

PC Worlds idea of half price is that -

wrong ! the thing you posted doesn't have a G on the end of its model
number, its the wired-only version whereas the thread is about the
802.11g version

Ebuyer have the DG834G for £68.54, so for once PC World is cheaper.

Russell

Old December 24th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Russell wrote:
PC Worlds idea of half price is that -

wrong ! the thing you posted doesn't have a G on the end of its model
number, its the wired-only version whereas the thread is about the
802.11g version

Ebuyer have the DG834G for £68.54, so for once PC World is cheaper.

PC World is often cheaper as it clears the boxes for the next lot of
(supposedly) killer gadgets...

Old December 25th 04, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message

Russell wrote:
PC Worlds idea of half price is that -

wrong ! the thing you posted doesn't have a G on the end of its
model number, its the wired-only version whereas the thread is
about the 802.11g version

Ebuyer have the DG834G for £68.54, so for once PC World is cheaper.

PC World is often cheaper as it clears the boxes for the next lot of
(supposedly) killer gadgets...

I presume the DG834GT in this case... which seems to be the same as the
DG834G but with 108Mbps wireless networking supported rather than just 54G

Regards
Sunil

Old December 25th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

snip
I managed to get the DG834G from ebuyer for £60 a while ago, and It's
utterly awful. Has a mind of it's own.

The link I posted was the non-wireless version (oopppss).

In any respect Ebuyers price is better than PC Worlds normal price, but
granted, not half price. That said, If I knew then what I know now, I'd not
give a tenner for one.

In ebuyers favour are the reviews from real users (take a look at the
wireless PCI card from netgear - the great return of the blue screen of
death to XP) this information is worth a packet when buying - or would you
prefer to trust the moron in PC World "Yes it's great, sold bucket loads of
these...." If only I had read them before buying.....

Old December 25th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Ed Start" wrote in message
snip
I managed to get the DG834G from ebuyer for £60 a while ago, and It's
utterly awful. Has a mind of it's own.

The link I posted was the non-wireless version (oopppss).

In any respect Ebuyers price is better than PC Worlds normal price, but
granted, not half price. That said, If I knew then what I know now, I'd
not give a tenner for one.

In ebuyers favour are the reviews from real users (take a look at the
wireless PCI card from netgear - the great return of the blue screen of
death to XP) this information is worth a packet when buying - or would you
prefer to trust the moron in PC World "Yes it's great, sold bucket loads
of these...." If only I had read them before buying.....

Yep, cockup with your reasoning. I was posting about the DG834G - anyway, no
harm done ...

I have a DG834G and I have had problems, granted, but then I had a Linksys
WAG54G and I had different types of problems with that wireless router.
Personally I reckon its the wireless "bits" - I still feel they are pretty
flaky and the technology has yet to mature.

One thing I've found with my DG834G though is be VERY careful when
performing the firmware updates - this is when I believe I lot of the
problems that people experience start to happen. I ended up doing the latest
(1.05.00) firmware update using the "recovery" utility from Netgear and I
have to say, its been perfect ever since. Definitely one to keep in mind.

Andy

Old December 25th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message

"Ed Start" wrote in message
[...]

There are stability issues with 1.05 (for example router reboots can still
be apparent in P2P use when connecting to a large number of peers).

There are reports that Netgear tends to ditch firmware upgrade support for
"old" models pretty quickly after or even before the new model is released.
If true then this is one serious consideration. The after sales
support/fault repair isn't good either.

The KCorp LifeStyle Wireless Gateway Router Gold Series as reviewed on the
PCPro website (A List) sounds very good - only £79 too.

Gareth.

Old December 26th 04, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Andy Pandy:
I have a DG834G and I have had problems, granted, but then I had a Linksys
WAG54G and I had different types of problems with that wireless router.
Personally I reckon its the wireless "bits" - I still feel they are pretty
flaky and the technology has yet to mature.

NO it's not the technology, its Netgear !
Back in spring 03 I bought Netgear router and it just didn't work and after
wasting a week I managed to return it.

I then bought Draytek Vigor 2600We (wireless), installed it in May 2003 in
the attic and I haven't even seen it until this November
when I had to upgrade the firmware (5 mins) in order to make VoIP work. I
get excellent signal in another building 70m away.
Grant you Draytek is lot more then £45, but how much is a weeks worth of
wasted time ?
Regards,
Martin