IP Cameras?

Old December 26th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default IP Cameras?

Anyone got first hand experience of these? I am considering the Hawking
HNC300 from Ebuyer. Suggestions for alternatives or more appropriate NGs for
queries would be welcome

Peter Crosland

Old December 26th 04, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Peter Crosland wrote:
Anyone got first hand experience of these? I am considering the Hawking
HNC300 from Ebuyer. Suggestions for alternatives or more appropriate NGs for
queries would be welcome

Peter Crosland

you could consider the following by checking quality via these google links:

Axis
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ame.shtml+Axis

Cannon http://www.google.com/search?q=intit...inurl%3ALvAppl

Evocam
http://www.google.com/search?q=intit...%22webcam.html

Toshiba
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...a+-+User+Login

Hours of fun!!
Old December 26th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

you could consider the following by checking quality via these google
links:

Thanks for the links but most are overkill for my needs. I just need a fixed
camera accessible over IP. USB cameras are of no use.

Old December 26th 04, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I've got a USB camera plugged into an Asus WL500g.

Thanks for that Nigel. I was not aware of the Asus product. It sounds
interesting though I would prefer to hardwire it for security reasons which
is not a problem in the site I have in mind. If you have any suggestions for
doing this I would welcome them. TIA.

Old December 27th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

No prob - it was really just an awareness of how accessible webcams can be
over the internet if not properly secured

Your contribution most welcome.

Old January 1st 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
VW2REG

Peter,

I just purchased a HNC300 after running another web server with a
Logitech Cam for a while. I have a Logitech Cam mounted on a X10 Pan &
Tilt unit, programmed 4 positions, and it cycles between those. That
has been working well for about 14 months after the Pan & Tilt gave up.
This was the 2nd Pan & Tilt from X10 that I burned. The 1st one lasted
12months only, 3 days short of the warranty, so I got a 2nd Pan & Tilt
for free.

Back to the HNC300 - my appology for the distraction:
I was looking for a hard wired Web Cam solution too as I figured the
wireless stuff isn't all that reliable as of yet. I ordered the HNC300
in the US, put a 240V - 110V A/C adapter in front of it to make it
work at my parents home in Austria. The installation was as easy as
anybody could imagine. MS Office is more complicate to install than the
Hawking HNC300. I plugged it in and found the web interface at
192.168.0.20. Note: Most routers that you purchase are setup for
192.168.1.x, so if you went with the default settings, you will have to
change that once to grab the cam's web interface and change the IP.
Other than that, everything works really smooth. The cam is mounted in
the attic and works absolutely great. The mounting "tri-pod" that comes
with the cam is absolutely slick - simple, but slick!
If you'd like to see the web interface and take a look at the real
install, please post back and we can setup a web conference, if you'd
like. I know of how much I'd like to see some of those things before I
purchase. I wasn't sure with the HNC300 either since I never have heard
of it before, but I will most likely purchase another one soon.
Hope that helps,
Wolfgang

Old January 1st 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:31 -0800, "VW2REG" wrote:

Peter,

I just purchased a HNC300 after running another web server with a
Logitech Cam for a while. I have a Logitech Cam mounted on a X10 Pan &
Tilt unit, programmed 4 positions, and it cycles between those. That
has been working well for about 14 months after the Pan & Tilt gave up.
This was the 2nd Pan & Tilt from X10 that I burned. The 1st one lasted
12months only, 3 days short of the warranty, so I got a 2nd Pan & Tilt
for free.

Back to the HNC300 - my appology for the distraction:
I was looking for a hard wired Web Cam solution too as I figured the
wireless stuff isn't all that reliable as of yet. I ordered the HNC300
in the US, put a 240V - 110V A/C adapter in front of it to make it
work at my parents home in Austria.

Is there an option to remotely turn the camera on and off?

I'm looking for something like this to use remotely, but don't want
the camera continuously broadcasting images when not needed.

I'd actually prefer a wireless version of one of these, but perhaps
we're not quite at the point where these are available cheaply enough
yet.

Chris

Old January 1st 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
VW2REG

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:31 -0800, "VW2REG" wrote:

[...]
Is there an option to remotely turn the camera on and off?

I'm looking for something like this to use remotely, but don't want
the camera continuously broadcasting images when not needed.

I'd actually prefer a wireless version of one of these, but perhaps
we're not quite at the point where these are available cheaply enough
yet.

Chris

You can remotely turn on/off the image upload to an ftp site as well as
the e-mailing of images. Regarding the live stream, if somebody
requests the live stream, you are on, unless you change the port
temporarily.

Hope that helped,
Wolfgang

Old January 7th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Nigel. Please could you contact me off group re ASUS settings. g6jns at
gmail will find me. Thanks.

Peter Crosland

Old January 7th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Thanks for that Wolfgang. My main problem at the moment is that I just
cannot get the ASUS to talk to my Draytek 2600. I am sure the answer is
quite simple if you understand the detail of TCP/IP but it is just beyond my
comprehension. What need first is someone who can tell me their ASUS
settings so I c an get that working. I am sure the camera part will be easy!
Right now I am about to attack it with a large hammer!

--
Peter Crosland