Netgear DG834G (PC World)

Old December 26th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Netgear DG834G (PC World)

Hi,

For those who were disappointed trying to order one of these units via
their web site, they are also selling them in their stores at the same
price 44.99 today and tomorrow (27th). This is contrary to what
talking to their staff on the enquiry number seemed to indicate. When
I rang I was told if the web site indicated sold out, then they would
only be available in store at the usual price.

They had a pile of about 200 when I arrived there shortly after they
opened this morning at the Leeds PC World.

Combined 54Mb wireless access point, 4 port router, ADSL modem and
decent firewall in one box for 44.99... Can't be bad :-)

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old December 26th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

--

It is when they spontaneously reboot/reset themselves every 36 hours or
so....

Old December 26th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message

"It is when they spontaneously reboot/reset themselves every 36 hours or "

And when you try to log into admin interface to find it won't respond and
you have to reset it........ Still not as bad as their PCI wireless card.
The loop goes like this, boot up, XP starts, tries to launch the netgear
app, blue screen of death... repeat til fade......

Old December 26th 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ed Start wrote:
"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message

"It is when they spontaneously reboot/reset themselves every 36 hours
or "
And when you try to log into admin interface to find it won't respond
and you have to reset it........ Still not as bad as their PCI
wireless card. The loop goes like this, boot up, XP starts, tries to
launch the netgear app, blue screen of death... repeat til fade......

I've actually got to say that I've never had that one & I'm very glad about
it as well...

Old December 26th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message
"I've actually got to say that I've never had that one & I'm very glad about
it as well... "

The comment - re blue screen of death refers to:
Netgear WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card

Read what "Emotional" people say about that...
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...50127&offset=0

Old December 26th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Ed Start formulated the question :
The comment - re blue screen of death refers to:
Netgear WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card

Which would seem to be an entirely different product to the DG834G.

Old December 26th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

Well Done - thats why I pointed it out :-)
Give yourself a gold star!

Old December 26th 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ed Start formulated the question :
The comment - re blue screen of death refers to:
Netgear WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card

Which would seem to be an entirely different product to the DG834G.

Still doesn't detract from the fact that a largish number of owners are
having problems with their DG834G's & Netgear doesn't appear to want to do
anything about it.

So far I'm on my third ticket as all do is close them down after asking me
the same question......what do I mean by reboot/soft boot, which mine is
doing at intermitent intervals. After answering their email it all goes
very quiet until I raise another ticket, it's been going on since
September....

Old December 26th 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ed Start formulated the question :
The comment - re blue screen of death refers to:
Netgear WG311 54mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card

Which would seem to be an entirely different product to the DG834G.

Still doesn't detract from the fact that a largish number of owners are
having problems with their DG834G's & Netgear doesn't appear to want to do
anything about it.

So far I'm on my third ticket as all do is close them down after asking me
the same question......what do I mean by reboot/soft boot, which mine is
doing at intermitent intervals. After answering their email it all goes
very quiet until I raise another ticket, it's been going on since
September....

Nah...mighty fine bit of kit...once you upgrade the firmware!
Snip at the PC World price for sure....

Old December 27th 04, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:00:53 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Which would seem to be an entirely different product to the DG834G.

I have the DG834 and have not had any problems with it using the
latest firmware (the 'G' uses the same).

I think I heard somewhere the rebooting problem can be cured by giving
each PC a fixed IP addy.

It's been a fine bit of kit here.

73's de G4DWV ex-4X1LT

--