POP3 and SMTP prob with BT

Old December 26th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Brown

Default POP3 and SMTP prob with BT

Hi all,

my niece has just signed up with the BT broadband basic service.......

all is working fine except she cant find the right settings for her POP3 and
SMTP for bt......i've guessed a load of time but when she tries to
send/receive.......it generates an error saying........cannot connect...

Can some kind person put us out of our misery and tell us exactly what the
settings are....

The help CD isnt much help to be honest..

Thanks in Advance...

DB

Old December 26th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Try
http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/ads...ll_guide.shtml
though you'd need to modify for BT.

{you may need to log in; use guest as user name+
password].
BT website probably has similar page on its website

Old December 26th 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron S

David Brown blurted on Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:07:52 GMT:

Hi all,

my niece has just signed up with the BT broadband basic service.......

all is working fine except she cant find the right settings for her POP3 and
SMTP for bt......i've guessed a load of time but when she tries to
send/receive.......it generates an error saying........cannot connect...

Can some kind person put us out of our misery and tell us exactly what the
settings are....

The help CD isnt much help to be honest..

Thanks in Advance...

DB

If you mean the BT BB no Frills then it doesn't come with Email or News
Service, you have to find a 3rd party Pop Server...

--
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
*Clifford Stoll*
Old December 26th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

David Brown wrote:
Hi all,

my niece has just signed up with the BT broadband basic service.......

all is working fine except she cant find the right settings for her POP3 and
SMTP for bt......i've guessed a load of time but when she tries to
send/receive.......it generates an error saying........cannot connect...

Can some kind person put us out of our misery and tell us exactly what the
settings are....

Isn't the basic service the one that doesn't include a POP3 and SMTP
service as standard - hence the name basic and the cheap price?
Old December 26th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:39:55 +0000, Hiram Hackenbacker
strung together this:

Isn't the basic service the one that doesn't include a POP3 and SMTP
service as standard - hence the name basic and the cheap price?

That's what I was going to say. You don't get mail with the basic
service AFAIK.
--

SJW
Old December 27th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dfrog

"David Brown" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all,

my niece has just signed up with the BT broadband basic service.......

all is working fine except she cant find the right settings for her POP3
and
SMTP for bt......i've guessed a load of time but when she tries to
send/receive.......it generates an error saying........cannot connect...

Can some kind person put us out of our misery and tell us exactly what the
settings are....

The help CD isnt much help to be honest..

Thanks in Advance...

DB

David,

I'm on BT BBBasic, and use my original (pre BTBBBasic) ISP's pop3 server
address, and for the smtp server (the sending bit) I use -
smtp.btopenworld.com - which has worked successfully for me best part of
this year.

hope this helps

dfrog

Old December 27th 04, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

Thanks all for the info.......

i didnt have anything todo with how she signed up......( my sis. did
it...nuff said)

i'll try the BTopenworld method tomorrow and see what happens....

but then again i havent seen alll the bumph that came with the installation
cd.........but email would seem an absolute basic option.

Dave

Old December 27th 04, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:35:30 GMT, "DB"
strung together this:

but then again i havent seen alll the bumph that came with the installation
cd.........but email would seem an absolute basic option.

You'd have thought so wouldn't you, BT have different ideas..
--

SJW
Old December 27th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

DB wrote:

but then again i havent seen alll the bumph that came with the installation
cd.........but email would seem an absolute basic option.

Email, in the form of webmail, is available and all described on the BT
website. You did specify a POP3 account which isn't available as standard.

Visit BTBroadband.com and look at the options available.
Old December 27th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Thanks all for the info.......

i didnt have anything todo with how she signed up......( my sis. did
it...nuff said)

i'll try the BTopenworld method tomorrow and see what happens....

but then again i havent seen alll the bumph that came with the installation
cd.........but email would seem an absolute basic option.

If you look at the details of the BTbroadband package she has bought
(see BT web site) you will find it recommends a different package if
an email service is required). To correct the problem, see, *for
example* http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/ at UKP9.99 per annum
to get you what she wants.

--
Angelo