TalkTalk Broadband + Talk 2 Package

Old December 27th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

Default TalkTalk Broadband + Talk 2 Package

I've noticed that TalkTalk's Broadband + Talk 2 Package is cheaper than just
getting broadband from them.

A lot of people have joined TalkTalk around the middle of this year.

At a guess, if TalkTalk continue to supply this offer mid-next year, there
will be a LOT of migrations to TalkTalk.

Places like PlusNet and Pipex cost over 20 / month for just 512K broadband.

TalkTalk are offering free modem plus throwing in an upgraded phone package
for the same price. Also, unlike PlusNet which charge unsubsidised prices
for anything outside of the standard service (e.g. upgrading a line etc).

Anyone see any downsides to TalkTalk? I noticed a thread recently regarding
P2P issues, but that seems to have been resolved.

I get the feeling that places like PlusNet (unlike Pipex which have a large
portion of business customers) are going to find it tough going next year
onwards.

AMO

Old December 27th 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian M Shepherd

"AMO" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure where you've got your prices, but I have 1M PlusNet BB for 14.99.
The main drawback with talk-talk is the high cost of calls not included in
the package. I make a lot of international calls, and talk talk prices are
far higher than other operators - so it makes sense to be able to pick and
choose carriers on a call by call basis.

Old December 27th 04, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:26:07 -0000, "AMO"
wrote:

Anyone see any downsides to TalkTalk? I noticed a thread recently regarding
P2P issues, but that seems to have been resolved.

I get the feeling that places like PlusNet (unlike Pipex which have a large
portion of business customers) are going to find it tough going next year
onwards.

The question many will ask is, what is ISP-side contention like at
peak time? If heavy downloaders start migrating to sub-20 unlimited
packages then increasing contention will be the only way to keep it
sustainable (Plusnet have been criticised for being open about their
policy, but I doubt they were the first, and they certainly won't be
the last).

Oliver.
Old December 27th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:46:21 -0000, "Ian M Shepherd"
wrote:

Not sure where you've got your prices, but I have 1M PlusNet BB for 14.99.

With a 1GB limit per month. Talktalk 512Kb is 19.99 with no limit.

The main drawback with talk-talk is the high cost of calls not included in
the package. I make a lot of international calls, and talk talk prices are
far higher than other operators - so it makes sense to be able to pick and
choose carriers on a call by call basis.

You can still dial a prefix after you join Talktalk telephone service.

Oliver.
Old December 27th 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian M Shepherd

wrote:

Not sure where you've got your prices, but I have 1M PlusNet BB for
14.99.

With a 1GB limit per month. Talktalk 512Kb is 19.99 with no limit.

True - but it's OK for me - and 5 cheaper

The main drawback with talk-talk is the high cost of calls not included in
the package. I make a lot of international calls, and talk talk prices
are
far higher than other operators - so it makes sense to be able to pick and
choose carriers on a call by call basis.

You can still dial a prefix after you join Talktalk telephone service.

Only if you break the terms and conditions of their service. With some
carriers charging UK calls just 1p per call fixed cost- you'd have to make a
lot of off-peak calls to justify call inclusive packages. Having said that,
I know talk talk is popular - I just think personally it's not the best for
my situation, and that of many others.

Old December 27th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Oliver" wrote in message
The question many will ask is, what is ISP-side contention like at
peak time? If heavy downloaders start migrating to sub-20 unlimited
packages then increasing contention will be the only way to keep it
sustainable (Plusnet have been criticised for being open about their
policy, but I doubt they were the first, and they certainly won't be
the last).

Oliver.

Good point. I was actually just thinking from a telephone perspective. I
got the free upgrade to Talk2 when I joined TalkTalk. That expires sometime
next year. I will have joined PlusNet for 1 year by then and for me, it is
better to switch over completely to TalkTalk to maintain the free Talk2. I
also get a 1 discount, as I pay 21.99 for a 512K line to PlusNet. Also
with CarPhoneWarehouse there won't be any upgrade costs to go to 1Mb which I
have to pay if I wished to upgrade on PlusNet.

Support can't really be worse. Whilst I do like PlusNet over Pipex in its
infrastructure - just email them and they'll get back to you and the way you
can pretty much manage your account on PlusNet very easily, PlusNet goes up
and down like a yoyo compared to Pipex (I am more than happy to list the
issues for anyone that is interested - I am not going out of my way to slag
off PlusNet).

Finally, I think that CarPhoneWarehouse have the capacity - don't they do
something different to other ISPs in the way they buy capcity en masse so it
works out cheap for them?

Thanx.

AMO

Old December 27th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:55:53 -0000, "Ian M Shepherd"
wrote:

You can still dial a prefix after you join Talktalk telephone service.

Only if you break the terms and conditions of their service.

That's not true.

Oliver.
Old December 27th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

wrote:

You can still dial a prefix after you join Talktalk telephone service.

Only if you break the terms and conditions of their service.

That's not true.

Oliver.

No problems here, using 18866 and 1899 and Talk Talk for the free calls, and a
few premium rate ones too!

My Talk Talk broadband did spring back into life, as what had happened was, so
many people had joined Talk Talk broadband, when they hadn't even advertised
the product except online, hoping not to get inundated until they could get
the new pipe put in, well the network guys had blocked some ports and
'managed' P2P and FTP traffic without informing anyone in support, they got
their back sides got kicked and they opened up the ports in time for
Christmas, and are just balancing the traffic as a whole at the moment,
waiting for the new pipe in the new year.

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
New Forum: http://www.bextech.org.uk

Old December 27th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian M Shepherd

wrote:

You can still dial a prefix after you join Talktalk telephone service.

Only if you break the terms and conditions of their service.

That's not true.

Oliver.

From their web site :-

11.4 Free Calls are only available to UK residential customers who use
TalkTalk as their sole call provider (as far as is possible under the
TalkTalk service)

Old December 27th 04, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:04:38 -0000, "Ian M Shepherd"
wrote:

From their web site :-

11.4 Free Calls are only available to UK residential customers who use
TalkTalk as their sole call provider (as far as is possible under the
TalkTalk service)

Oh ok, I was looking at the page:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...S&NODE_ID=6901

Either way, I know many people are using prefixes with TalkTalk, I'd
be very interested to know if any have been contacted by Talktalk
about this.

Oliver.