NETGEAR DG834G 54Mbps ADSL Wireless Modem Router Question

Old December 27th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LondonLad

Default NETGEAR DG834G 54Mbps ADSL Wireless Modem Router Question

I bought one of these today from PC World for 45.

I've been using ADSL at home for about 3 years now using a MRi ADSL
Modem with Router that has a single Ethernet port and 1 USB port. I
also have a Belkin 4 Port Router that also has a wireless facility.

So far I've been unable to to get SIP (VoIP) to work with this
configuration except by plugging my main PC into the USB port of the
MRi ADSL Modem whilst the rest of the PC's inthe house work through
the Belkin (2 through Ethernet and 2 downstairs via WiFi and Sitecom
cards)

The New Netgear is in a sealed plastic cover and the staff have told
me I have 28 days to return it as long as it's unopened, so I thought
I'd buy it and do the research on the net. Can anyone confirm if I
replace my existing setup with this single box is SIP Voice over IP
going to work through the Ethernet ports and through the WiFi ?

I want SIP in particular because of a service I've signed up to that
allows peopel to ring an 0845 number which in turn rings on my PC. I
also have problem seeing the two PC's in my room on windows network as
they are on different subnets, one through the USb and one through the
Belkin Ethernet, 'm hoping an all in one solution will solve all
problems and just work better then a seperate modem and router
solution I've had up until now.
Old December 28th 04, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

LondonLad expressed precisely :
I bought one of these today from PC World for 45.

I've been using ADSL at home for about 3 years now using a MRi ADSL
Modem with Router that has a single Ethernet port and 1 USB port. I
also have a Belkin 4 Port Router that also has a wireless facility.

I had a similar problem with two routers in series, VoIP just needed
too many ports to be opened.

The New Netgear is in a sealed plastic cover and the staff have told
me I have 28 days to return it as long as it's unopened, so I thought
I'd buy it and do the research on the net. Can anyone confirm if I
replace my existing setup with this single box is SIP Voice over IP
going to work through the Ethernet ports and through the WiFi ?

I got the same yesterday from the same source and I'm very pleased with
it :-)

I want SIP in particular because of a service I've signed up to that
allows peopel to ring an 0845 number which in turn rings on my PC. I
also have problem seeing the two PC's in my room on windows network as
they are on different subnets, one through the USb and one through the
Belkin Ethernet, 'm hoping an all in one solution will solve all
problems and just work better then a seperate modem and router
solution I've had up until now.

I've not tried that side yet, but what I can say is that you will have
a wide range of ways to open ports either individually, or a range of
port numbers. Some the more common ports are preconfigured and you just
select them from a drop down list. One of them is VoIP, which seems to
suggest it should work.

Take a look on the Netgear website at the various fixes to each
firmware upgrade, it might offer some clues. The version installed in
the 45 unit is the latest (1.05.00 ?)

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old December 28th 04, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
LondonLad expressed precisely :
I bought one of these today from PC World for 45.

I've been using ADSL at home for about 3 years now using a MRi ADSL
Modem with Router that has a single Ethernet port and 1 USB port. I
also have a Belkin 4 Port Router that also has a wireless facility.

I had a similar problem with two routers in series, VoIP just needed too
many ports to be opened.

The New Netgear is in a sealed plastic cover and the staff have told
me I have 28 days to return it as long as it's unopened, so I thought
I'd buy it and do the research on the net. Can anyone confirm if I
replace my existing setup with this single box is SIP Voice over IP
going to work through the Ethernet ports and through the WiFi ?

I got the same yesterday from the same source and I'm very pleased with it
:-)

[...]

You need to open incoming ports 5060, 8000 - 8012