BT modem/router interferes with cordless phone

Old December 27th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default BT modem/router interferes with cordless phone

My BT wireless modem/router interferes with my (BT!) cordless phone. In
fact, I get no signal on the phone at all if the router is on. But it works
fine when the router is off.

I've tried changing the channel on the handset but that did not help. Any
suggestions?

As things stand, I have broadband but can't use my phone when I'm online!

I thought phones and modem/routers used different signals?

Bobby

Old December 27th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed Start

"Bobby" wrote in message
"My BT wireless modem/router interferes with my (BT!) cordless phone."

You have the cordless plugged in via a filter? yes?

What type of cordless is this, a DECT or one of those old 30mhz things

Old December 27th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My BT wireless modem/router interferes with my (BT!) cordless phone. In
fact, I get no signal on the phone at all if the router is on. But it works
fine when the router is off.

How many phones have you got in the house ? (REN totals ?)

Old December 27th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:51 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

I thought phones and modem/routers used different signals?

True, but if a bit of kit is badly designed (it does not have to be
cheap to be so) a strong signal from one can break through and
overwhelm the circuitry of another.

The bad design can either be allowing a strong field to radiate out or
to break in.

If that is the problem, moving the phone's base station and not using
the handset near the router *may* help.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old December 27th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dr Teeth wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:51 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

I thought phones and modem/routers used different signals?

True, but if a bit of kit is badly designed (it does not have to be
cheap to be so) a strong signal from one can break through and
overwhelm the circuitry of another.

The bad design can either be allowing a strong field to radiate out or
to break in.

If that is the problem, moving the phone's base station and not using
the handset near the router *may* help.

Using good quality filters may help as well, but not to good as at least one
of the BT ADSL wireless solutions use the telephone extensions to carry the
signal & by using a good filter (such as a SSFP) you will stop this from
happening......

Good design or what, I don't think....

Old December 28th 04, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article Bobby says...
My BT wireless modem/router interferes with my (BT!) cordless phone. In
fact, I get no signal on the phone at all if the router is on. But it works
fine when the router is off.

It will...

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old December 28th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donald Monkshabit

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:51 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

My BT wireless modem/router interferes with my (BT!) cordless phone. In
fact, I get no signal on the phone at all if the router is on. But it works
fine when the router is off.

I've tried changing the channel on the handset but that did not help. Any
suggestions?

As things stand, I have broadband but can't use my phone when I'm online!

I thought phones and modem/routers used different signals?

Not quite the same but most radios are affected by mobile phones, some
quite badly and others not at all, anyone know why?

Old December 28th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Donald Monkshabit used his keyboard to write :
Not quite the same but most radios are affected by mobile phones, some
quite badly and others not at all, anyone know why?

Not just radio, TV's and even amplified speakers suffer similarly.

AFIK The mobile signal gets directly into the audio circuits, rather
than via the RF circuits.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old December 28th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:01:37 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

at least one
of the BT ADSL wireless solutions use the telephone extensions to carry the
signal

there's a contradiction trying to escape there somethere :-)

that's be the 1250 or whatever that includes HomePNA netowrking over
the extension wiring I guess (as well as wireless)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !