PlusNet posts

Old December 28th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default PlusNet posts

Every company has problems from time to time, but if Plusnet really is that
bad, stop bitching about it and change supplier for christ sakes.

I love the way everyone expects people to be on hand 24/7 regardless of how much
they paid for their service! It's a bank holiday remember, you're not paying for
a business service are you? Are you??
Old December 28th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:51:51 +0000, Simon wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:46:55 +0000, Steve wrote:

Every company has problems from time to time, but if Plusnet really is that
bad, stop bitching about it and change supplier for christ sakes.

Bitching is part of the recovery process.

Okay.

I love the way everyone expects people to be on hand 24/7 regardless of how much
they paid for their service!

Especially when you pay a lot.

Really? I doubt it.

It's a bank holiday remember, you're not paying for
a business service are you? Are you??

More free advice from some **** who doesn't even know the facts!

Oh, you mean its not a bank holiday? Or are you paying for a business
connection?

Old December 28th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:08:54 +0000, Simon wrote:

Just how much attention do you want?

LOL. No more than the people posting endless Plusnet posts.

I'm assuming Plusnet isn't on the bloody telephone then?

Old December 28th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

If a broadband customer, you are tied in for a set period so can't just
up sticks..which is what many of us would like to do.

They have previously ranked well in ISP ratings but will drop down
considerably

Old December 28th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Graham in Melton" wrote

I think you'll probably find that there is only one truly dissatisfied
Plusnet customer out there generating most of the complaints - using
several
fake names to try and give them bad press.

Graham,

Alas in this case it's probably not true. This major service outage is
occurring for many plusnet customers. I'm surprised so few have been vocal
so far.

The reason more will migrate here to complain is their email is down and the
plusnet support forum and ticketing system is going so slow as to be
unusable.

Jc.

Old December 28th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PzychoBilly

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:08:34 -0000, "Josey"
wrote:

"Graham in Melton" wrote

I think you'll probably find that there is only one truly dissatisfied
Plusnet customer out there generating most of the complaints - using
several
fake names to try and give them bad press.

Graham,

Alas in this case it's probably not true. This major service outage is
occurring for many plusnet customers. I'm surprised so few have been vocal
so far.

Too busy trying to complain via the website I guess.

The reason more will migrate here to complain is their email is down and the
plusnet support forum and ticketing system is going so slow as to be
unusable.

That would be the complaints flooding in thick and fast to the drunk
caretaker fiddling while Rome burns.

Ought not to be allowed.
Old December 28th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Steve wrote in
:

I love the way everyone expects people to be on hand 24/7 regardless
of how much they paid for their service! It's a bank holiday remember,
you're not paying for a business service are you? Are you??

PlusNet CS is staffed 24/7 even over bank holidays. There will be on call
network engineers as well however there will only be one or two people in
the building so it is impossible to expect them to be able to handle the
suddent deluge of calls and tickets that will be raised by this.

From what I can tell, the issue was that one of the parts of the database
was rebuilt and caused an error. An automated fix script was set to run
and this took quite a while (as would any script on such a large
database). Unfortunately the automated script didn't fix everything - I
have several accounts lying around and all but one are now working.

As a result this morning the on call engineer will either be going
through the remaining accounts manually or figuring out why the initial
script didn't sort out everything and writing another script.

Either way, the time of fix is not specifically down to the response time
of the engineers. Some people fail to comprehend the sheer amount of data
that is involved in an ISP.

It is unfortunate that the initial script did not fix everything, so from
that point I would hope a review into the troubleshooting process would
ocurr so they could prevent such partial fixes in the future.

--
Colin
Old December 28th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
PzychoBilly

Default PlusNet posts RIPieces PlusNet

On 28 Dec 2004 12:34:57 GMT, cw wrote:

Steve wrote in
:

I love the way everyone expects people to be on hand 24/7 regardless
of how much they paid for their service! It's a bank holiday remember,
you're not paying for a business service are you? Are you??

PlusNet CS is staffed 24/7 even over bank holidays. There will be on call
network engineers as well however there will only be one or two people in
the building so it is impossible to expect them to be able to handle the
suddent deluge of calls and tickets that will be raised by this.

From what I can tell, the issue was that one of the parts of the database
was rebuilt and caused an error. An automated fix script was set to run
and this took quite a while (as would any script on such a large
database). Unfortunately the automated script didn't fix everything - I
have several accounts lying around and all but one are now working.

As a result this morning the on call engineer will either be going
through the remaining accounts manually or figuring out why the initial
script didn't sort out everything and writing another script.

Either way, the time of fix is not specifically down to the response time
of the engineers. Some people fail to comprehend the sheer amount of data
that is involved in an ISP.

It is unfortunate that the initial script did not fix everything, so from
that point I would hope a review into the troubleshooting process would
ocurr so they could prevent such partial fixes in the future.

Which is why we have backups and in any decent ISP's case backups of
machinery as well as software/database and this enables you to switch
to the backup almost instantly, you did do a backup didn't you? I DONT
think so.

What's the odds on Plus Net LOSING all the mail as well! Just to admit
you ****ed up bigtime would go some way to appeasing those who want
your heads to roll.

Not much.