Linksys bundle (WAG54G / WUSB54G) problems?

Old December 28th 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

Default Linksys bundle (WAG54G / WUSB54G) problems?

I bought the Linksys bundle - WAG54G (Gateway) / WUSB54G (Wireless Adapter).
I had no problems getting into the configuration for the Gateway and
connecting to the Internet through the cable connection.

I then attached the WUSB54G Wireless Adapter to my PC but keep getting the
following message in the Device Manager - "The device cannot start (code
10)".

I have done the obvious of uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling and
downloading the latest driver and trying again but the error remains the
same. I have tried different USB ports and different cables, still the
error remains. Other USB devices continue to work in the same ports.

The power light comes on the Wireless Adapter and twice out of about 20
attempts, the new network indicator appeared on my PC but the error very
quickly appeared.

I am using XP Home SP1 on a Dell PIV 2.6Ghz, 512Mb RAM.

Has anyone else experienced the same with this Linksys kit and managed to
resolve the problem? If so, a pointer in the right direction would be
appreciated.

Has anyone got this Linksys kit and had no problems with it? I ask this in
case I should be considereing returning the complete package and looking for
an alternative - maybe some could recommend a good alternative?

Linksys support advise that I try the unit on another computer but I am
unable to do that at the moment.

Thank you.

Old December 28th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:
I bought the Linksys bundle - WAG54G (Gateway) / WUSB54G (Wireless
Adapter). I had no problems getting into the configuration for the
Gateway and connecting to the Internet through the cable connection.

Has anyone got this Linksys kit and had no problems with it? I ask
this in case I should be considereing returning the complete package
and looking for an alternative - maybe some could recommend a good
alternative?

Yes, no problems at all with the kit here. I don't know if you've done it
already, but maybe do a full registry scan for any linksys reference, delete
them, reboot and try again?

Old December 28th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Have you tried
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...user/entry.php

Old December 29th 04, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

wrote:
Have you tried
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...user/entry.php

....and look for answer 288 or search on code 10 where it is top of the list.
Seems to require a driver update (answer is for WUSB11) so you will need to
know which version of the WUSB54G you have. This is an old Linksys trick -
bringing out different versions of the same product that are almost
impossible to tell apart. I've got the T shirt for that one.

Old December 29th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

Thank you all. Yes, I had tried answer 288 and I tried cleaning the
registry before reinstalling.

A replacement bundle is on its way to me to try. Fingers crossed.

Luckily, the cable across the room is keeping me going for the moment.....

Old January 4th 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:

Has anyone got this Linksys kit and had no problems with it? I ask this in
case I should be considereing returning the complete package and looking for
an alternative - maybe some could recommend a good alternative?

I sent my "bundle" back becuase DSL connectivity was dropping all the
time but it was still "connected.". Plus they still havn't fixed thier
dyndns implementation after 7 months. - I didn't get as far as testing
out all the other stuff the connectivity flaw annoyed me too much. There
are unpublished firmare updates on thier ftp site that they don't tell
you about too. I don't have much confedence in the linksys brand.

Old January 4th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

"Spacen Jasset" wrote in message
NewsGroupQuestion wrote:

Has anyone got this Linksys kit and had no problems with it? I ask this

in
case I should be considereing returning the complete package and looking

for
an alternative - maybe some could recommend a good alternative?

I sent my "bundle" back becuase DSL connectivity was dropping all the
time but it was still "connected.". Plus they still havn't fixed thier
dyndns implementation after 7 months. - I didn't get as far as testing
out all the other stuff the connectivity flaw annoyed me too much. There
are unpublished firmare updates on thier ftp site that they don't tell
you about too. I don't have much confedence in the linksys brand.

Out of interest, what are you using instead? I had to send both items back
even if the gateway appeared okay and now I'm told there will be no gateways
in stock until February.

Old January 5th 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:
"Spacen Jasset" wrote in message

Out of interest, what are you using instead? I had to send both items back
even if the gateway appeared okay and now I'm told there will be no gateways
in stock until February.

I am using a usb modem at the momment, a speedtouch 330. But I expect I
will look into the d-link and netgear brands. The Draytek seem good;
people often comment on the vigor, but they are, ofcourse, more
expensive and perhaps have features I don't need.

The linksys stuff seems popular in many high street stores. Presumably
they work well for some peopple but not too well for others.
Old January 5th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:
"Spacen Jasset" wrote in message

Out of interest, what are you using instead? I had to send both items

back
even if the gateway appeared okay and now I'm told there will be no

gateways
in stock until February.

I am using a usb modem at the momment, a speedtouch 330. But I expect I
will look into the d-link and netgear brands. The Draytek seem good;
people often comment on the vigor, but they are, ofcourse, more
expensive and perhaps have features I don't need.

The linksys stuff seems popular in many high street stores. Presumably
they work well for some peopple but not too well for others.

I just received my replacement Linksys kit and I have it up and running in a
few minutes!! The fact that the first adapter didn't work doesn't intill
confidence. I guess the fun starts now with the configuration and the drop
outs.

I was using the Speedtouch 330 as well. I have had to change though as when
I upgraded from 512k to 1Mb, my connection was terrible and I cannot be
bothered with rewiring all extensions.

Fingers crossed that I'm sorted now.

Old January 29th 05, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Kelly

On 4 Jan 2005 14:45:58 +0100, Spacen Jasset
wrote:

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:

Has anyone got this Linksys kit and had no problems with it? I ask this in
case I should be considereing returning the complete package and looking for
an alternative - maybe some could recommend a good alternative?

I sent my "bundle" back becuase DSL connectivity was dropping all the
time but it was still "connected.". Plus they still havn't fixed thier
dyndns implementation after 7 months. - I didn't get as far as testing
out all the other stuff the connectivity flaw annoyed me too much. There
are unpublished firmare updates on thier ftp site that they don't tell
you about too. I don't have much confedence in the linksys brand.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.