One modem works on my line, others don't. Why?

Old December 29th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

Default One modem works on my line, others don't. Why?

I have been using a Speedtouch 330 modem which has been, and still is,
totally reliable since BT gave me an adequate BB connection. I only
became BB capable since the extension of the distance restriction.
Wanadoo is my ISP. I use WinME which is fully up to date with patches
etc.

I tried an Zoom PCI modem but it refused to synch in two different
PC's. The Zoom helpdesk eventually concluded it was faulty and I
returned it.

Now I have bought a Belkin kit which includes an F5D 7632-4 combined
ADSL Modem, Wireless G Router. It too will not connect to my line. The
Belkin helpdesk has concluded it is faulty and asked me to return it
to the vendor. The only checks they conducted were to get me to reset
the modem a couple of times and re-input my username and password
details.

Am I just unlucky that I have had 2 duff modems? Are different brands
of modems likely to have different "sensitivities" which would cause
some to connect easily and others to sit and wink one green light at
me, or is there some obscure parameter on my system which needs to be
changed?
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old December 29th 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Dennis Reynolds" wrote in message
I have been using a Speedtouch 330 modem which has been, and still is,
totally reliable since BT gave me an adequate BB connection. I only
became BB capable since the extension of the distance restriction.
Wanadoo is my ISP. I use WinME which is fully up to date with patches
etc.

I tried an Zoom PCI modem but it refused to synch in two different
PC's. The Zoom helpdesk eventually concluded it was faulty and I
returned it.

Now I have bought a Belkin kit which includes an F5D 7632-4 combined
ADSL Modem, Wireless G Router. It too will not connect to my line. The
Belkin helpdesk has concluded it is faulty and asked me to return it
to the vendor. The only checks they conducted were to get me to reset
the modem a couple of times and re-input my username and password
details.

If you are in the "extended reach" category then you will have a high
line attenuation and probably a low SNR. In these circumstances it is
very likely that some modems/routers will perform better than others,
even to the extent of some of them not syncing at all. The Speedtouch
modems do seem to work well on marginal lines.

Old December 29th 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Dennis Reynolds
writes
Are different brands of modems likely to have different "sensitivities"
which would cause some to connect easily and others to sit and wink one
green light at me, or is there some obscure parameter on my system
which needs to be
changed?

I had one which would only connect if I selected ANSI T1413. Strange as
all the others connected using G.dmt. Might be worth a try. Just
reminded me that that particular one was the access runner as asked
about in a different thread - I'll let him know!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old December 29th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

You need to buy a Zyxel 660HW, currently using one on 10KM plus with 65Db
att.

Old December 29th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:56:48 -0000, "Alastair"
wrote:

"Dennis Reynolds" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Interesting that a strong theme running through this group is that
modem/routers end your troubles. Looks like it isn't accurate for
those in extended reach areas :-(

Is there any software I can use to check things like line attenuation
and SNR? I've googled but could only find DUMeter and Net Meter.
Old December 29th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

wrote:

"Dennis Reynolds" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Routers often give this info in their web config screens. Some modems
give the info from their drivers. Is there a little icon representing
the SpeedTouch in the SysTray? If you click on it does it open up with
any useful info? Someone who actually has a SpeedTouch could probably
help you more here - I've encountered them on client sites but don't
have access to one here.

Old December 29th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

wrote:

[...]

Sorry about my brain fade. I've found the data for the Speedtouch. I
suspect I will need a line test to find the line attenuation and SNR.
I should have noted them when the BT engineer was here.
Old December 29th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:16:00 +0000, Dennis Reynolds
wrote:

If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.

OT: but how will this help?

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old January 1st 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Dennis Reynolds
writes
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:48:43 -0000, "Alastair"
wrote:

snip

Is there any software I can use to check things like line attenuation
and SNR? I've googled but could only find DUMeter and Net Meter.

Routers often give this info in their web config screens. Some modems
give the info from their drivers. Is there a little icon representing
the SpeedTouch in the SysTray? If you click on it does it open up with
any useful info? Someone who actually has a SpeedTouch could probably
help you more here - I've encountered them on client sites but don't
have access to one here.

Don't think you'll get this info from a speedtouch 330 (though the
firmware seems to carry appropriate text strings, indicating the data
_might_ be available)
IMHO it's worth buying eg a bewan pci modem (from aria.com for a
tenner), and bring up into showtime just to get the good diagnostics
(including bits/channel, which is always fun). Mind you, it still has to
sync first, I think...

--
robert w hall
Old January 1st 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 13:03:30 +0000, robert w hall
wrote:

Don't think you'll get this info from a speedtouch 330 (though the
firmware seems to carry appropriate text strings, indicating the data
_might_ be available)
IMHO it's worth buying eg a bewan pci modem (from aria.com for a
tenner), and bring up into showtime just to get the good diagnostics
(including bits/channel, which is always fun). Mind you, it still has to
sync first, I think...

Thanks Bob. When I try to look up aria.com I get a financial site
-Providian, and Google seems to point to the same site.

Dennis Reynolds