Talk Talk DOES restrict P2P

Old December 29th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

Default Talk Talk DOES restrict P2P

In et within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Tx2' wrote:

You *are* being a pedant cummins, it is you who has his fingers in ears
as you know *exactly* in which context P2P was originally being referred
to, yet you chose to "nitpick", and have purposely constructed an
argument for arguments sake.

The real point isn't the true definition of P2P, it is the use of what is
called 'p2p software'. Filesharing.

People objecting to 'p2p software' are in fact objecting to file transfer.
They are objecting to the very purpose of the internet.

Paul is in fact (loath though I am to admit it) right in saying that all
data transfer over the internet is peer to peer, but then most data
transfer over the internet is file transfer, and it is file transfer that
people are objecting to. I know not why, it's like designing a postal
system and then complaining because people are using it.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 30th 04, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:34:01 +0000, Dave J wrote:

People objecting to 'p2p software' are in fact objecting to file transfer.

Actually, they're not. They're generally objecting to the gratuitous
use of vast amounts of bandwidth for sharing illegal, stolen, or
pointless material. At least thats what /I/ object to, and most of hte
people I know who have any opinion.

They are objecting to the very purpose of the internet.

Sure about that? The internet was essentially created to allow
military personnel to email each other over long distances reliably.
I'm not aware that DARPA were planning to perform large-scale
copyright infringement as part of that. YMMV, ICBW.

Old December 30th 04, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:59:05 GMT, Mark McIntyre
strung together this:

People objecting to 'p2p software' are in fact objecting to file transfer.

Actually, they're not. They're generally objecting to the gratuitous
use of vast amounts of bandwidth for sharing illegal, stolen, or
pointless material. At least thats what /I/ object to, and most of hte
people I know who have any opinion.

I think you're in a minority on that one. Most people object to the
legalaties of P2P, and have no idea what 'bandwidth' is.
--

SJW
Old December 30th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In et within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Tx2' wrote:

it's like designing a postal
system and then complaining because people are using it.

No, it's like designing a postal system and then preventing those who
use fake stamps from using it, but mixing up and preventing some genuine
ones along the way.

Not quite, it's more like designing a postal system and then objecting
(supposedly) because you don't like the contents of most of the packages,
even though they've all had legal stamps bought for them.

In reality, what they mean is that they don't like the fact that the
postal system is more popular than they can cope with, and rather than
looking to expansion they prefer to look for excuses to reduce the
popularity.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 30th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Mark McIntyre' wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:34:01 +0000, Dave J wrote:

People objecting to 'p2p software' are in fact objecting to file transfer.

Actually, they're not. They're generally objecting to the gratuitous
use of vast amounts of bandwidth for sharing illegal, stolen, or

pointless material.

"Pointless material"?? Who made you god then?

"Illegal material" - Perhaps the proliferation of the sharing of
copyrighted files is a sign that we badly need a new way to pay authors, a
new way of collecting the money, and a new way to gauge popularity in
order to discover how much to pay them.

I would happily pay a hundred quid more next year than I paid last year
for _legal_ access to the stuff I have taped from the radio and downloaded
from the internet. However, the brainless stuffed shirts would rather
continue a battle that they will undoubtedly lose. As I said, the only way
for them to win would be to obviate the very purpose of the internet -
filesharing.

At least thats what /I/ object to, and most of hte
people I know who have any opinion.

Those stuffed shirts i mention have much assistance (for what little it's
worth) from the people without a desire to listen to music and/or with
enough money to buy an overpriced copy of anything they feel like
listening to or watching, and thus pay for those shirts, even though very
little ever makes it to the artists.

They are objecting to the very purpose of the internet.

Sure about that? The internet was essentially created to allow
military personnel to email each other over long distances reliably.

AKA (small) file transfer.

I'm not aware that DARPA were planning to perform large-scale
copyright infringement as part of that. YMMV, ICBW.

It doesn't matter what the files are, they are all files that millions of
people want to send each other.

As I said, the very purpose of the internet.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 30th 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In et within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Tx2' wrote:

[..]

In reality, what they mean is that they don't like the fact that the
postal system is more popular than they can cope with, and rather than
looking to expansion they prefer to look for excuses to reduce the
popularity

Moving on ...

I take it that the 'moving on' involves improving the 'postal system' so
that it can cope with the popularity?

Or was it just a statement that because I have highlighted the real
problem you no longer wish to persue the discussion?

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 30th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In et within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Tx2' wrote:

Or was it just a statement that because I have highlighted the real
problem you no longer wish to persue the discussion?

Yes, you've highlighted the real problem via an analogy; an ISP blocking
P2P traffic (in the context I clearly highlighted earlier) and as I
have, and never have had, any argument to the contrary, is their further
discussion to pursue?

Fair enough.

As a side benefit, you successfully pushed me along to presenting the
problem in a way that I like. Thank you.

The only other point, is the pedant interpretation of P2P so far as this
thread is concerned, but as I've made it perfectly clear from which
viewpoint i'm discussing it, there again seems little else to continue
with.

Oh, I've made my point over that, you seem to agree with it (and its
irrelevance), and PC is just attention seeking as always.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 30th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:43:31 +0000, Dave J wrote:

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Mark McIntyre' wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:34:01 +0000, Dave J wrote:

People objecting to 'p2p software' are in fact objecting to file transfer.

Actually, they're not. They're generally objecting to the gratuitous
use of vast amounts of bandwidth for sharing illegal, stolen, or

pointless material.

"Pointless material"?? Who made you god then?

When did I say I was? Reread what I wrote, this time without trying to
be a smartalec.

"Illegal material" - Perhaps the proliferation of the sharing of

yada

I'm not remotely interested in debating the finer points of copyright
law with you. If you want to do that, go over to one of hte legal
groups.