ADSL USB modem + Wireless router - basic question

Old December 29th 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Noble

Default ADSL USB modem + Wireless router - basic question

I'm a little light on info here, but I have a very basic query I'd
like suggestions on.

My son and his house mates have recently gained broadband access via a
package that came with a USB ADSL modem (BT Voyager 105), which is
connected to my son's machine, and shared to the rest of the house via
a Belkin wireless router of some description. He's getting frustrated
about both the need to leave his machine permanently turned on, and
the effect that through-traffic has on his system's performance when
other people are using the connection. Whilst visiting over Christmas
(to be exact, and with the usual impeccable timing, in the car on the
way to take him to the station for his trip home), he asked whether
there was any way he could change his setup to get around his problem.

Now - as I understand it, a USB modem is a one-machine device, and in
the case of the Voyager draws its power from the host machine as well,
so there's no way I can see that he's going to manage this without
either (a) just connecting it to a different machine, or (b) replacing
it with a new router or gateway.

Is that correct? If it is, are there possibilities I haven't thought
of? What would be the simplest (or, alternatively, the cheapest -
we're talking impoverished students here) option? And are there any
common pitfalls lurking that he needs to be aware of?

Advice gratefully received.

Cheers - Ian
Old December 29th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Is that correct? If it is, are there possibilities I haven't thought of?
What would be the simplest (or, alternatively, the cheapest - we're
talking impoverished students here) option? And are there any common
pitfalls lurking that he needs to be aware of?

Advice gratefully received.

Cheers - Ian

Dump the USB modem, buy a router and if the pc needs it, a network card.
Leave the router on all the time, switch the pc on only when he needs to
do something. Router = less hassle. Google on this group for USB modems
and see what problems they cause.

Dave

Old December 29th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Stanton pretended :
Dump the USB modem, buy a router and if the pc needs it, a network card.
Leave the router on all the time, switch the pc on only when he needs to
do something. Router = less hassle. Google on this group for USB modems
and see what problems they cause.

He will need a combined dsl modem/router at least and it would be even
better if it also included a wireless access point.

The Netgear DG834G combines all of the above plus a decent hardware
firewall.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old December 29th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Harry Bloomfield
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:03:16 writes

Dave Stanton pretended :
Dump the USB modem, buy a router and if the pc needs it, a network card.
Leave the router on all the time, switch the pc on only when he needs to
do something. Router = less hassle. Google on this group for USB modems
and see what problems they cause.

He will need a combined dsl modem/router at least and it would be even
better if it also included a wireless access point.

The Netgear DG834G combines all of the above plus a decent hardware
firewall.

Agreed, except that they already have a wireless AP so a DG834 should do
- though I think I saw somewhere that PC world was giving away the
DG834G for 45! I normally pay about 52+VAT for the DG834.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old December 30th 04, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Les Desser wrote:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:03:16 writes

Dave Stanton pretended :
Dump the USB modem, buy a router and if the pc needs it, a network
card. Leave the router on all the time, switch the pc on only when
he needs to do something. Router = less hassle. Google on this
group for USB modems and see what problems they cause.

He will need a combined dsl modem/router at least and it would be
even better if it also included a wireless access point.

The Netgear DG834G combines all of the above plus a decent hardware
firewall.

Agreed, except that they already have a wireless AP so a DG834 should
do - though I think I saw somewhere that PC world was giving away the
DG834G for 45! I normally pay about 52+VAT for the DG834.

But if they're running P2P apps they could have problems. They're well
documented but Netgear appear to be ignoring the issue at the moment...

Old December 30th 04, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

kraftee was thinking very hard :
Les Desser wrote:
[...]

I have not noticed any P2P problems so far on my DG834G, where are the
problems documented?