Line fault - pair swap?

Old December 29th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default Line fault - pair swap?

An ADSL engineer identified a problem with my line - a fault with an
underground cable that wasn't apparent to the non ADSL trained engineer.

As a solution he swapped my line for another line. The result is that my
line attenuation and line noise readings are much improved (and I don't lose
synch on phone ring or phone use so far but it is early hours).

But isn't the implication that someone else may now have my ADSL problem -
if not immediately then in the future?

Actually, now I think about it my problems started almost over night - it's
possible I suppose that I suffered as a result of someone else having their
line swapped for mine...

Gareth.

Old December 29th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gareth wrote:
An ADSL engineer identified a problem with my line - a fault with an
underground cable that wasn't apparent to the non ADSL trained
engineer.
As a solution he swapped my line for another line. The result is that
my line attenuation and line noise readings are much improved (and I
don't lose synch on phone ring or phone use so far but it is early
hours).
But isn't the implication that someone else may now have my ADSL
problem - if not immediately then in the future?

Actually, now I think about it my problems started almost over night
- it's possible I suppose that I suffered as a result of someone else
having their line swapped for mine...

Gareth.

The chances are you've not just had a pair swap, but you've been swapped to
another cable as well & despite what certain other posters are trying to
insinuate they don't swap workers, they look for spare pairs....

As to whether it may affect somebody in the future, that will depend on
whether your old pair is marked up as unsuitable for digital services or
not...

Old December 29th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

But isn't the implication that someone else may now have my ADSL problem -
if not immediately then in the future?

Actually, now I think about it my problems started almost over night -

it's
possible I suppose that I suffered as a result of someone else having

their
line swapped for mine...

Gareth.

Keeps Kraftee and his colleagues gainfully employed though. ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 30th 04, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message
Gareth wrote:
[...]

Yes, he did mention that the cable had been swapped and that the cable I was
on was known to be problematic for ADSL.

As to whether it may affect somebody in the future, that will depend on
whether your old pair is marked up as unsuitable for digital services or
not...

He explained that there would be no real problem using the old line for
voice calls but only for "digital services" (that was actually the term he
used).

Gareth.

Old December 30th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Gareth wrote:
[...]

Hi,

It'll be likely that you were given an unused pair and that the old one is
now not being used. Maybe in the future someone will be allocated this
pair, but hopefully BT will have noted somewhere that if that person wants
ADSL to swap it.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old December 30th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gareth wrote:
[...]

Well it'll most probably be the DSL engineer who swaps....

There is one problem with this scenario & that is that with some PCP's there
is only 1, maybe 2 cables which are DSL suitable, once they get filled
what's BT going to do. In fact there are 2 small local rural exchanges
where this has happened on some of their PCP's already ........

& off course if there is a cable fault, all the eggs are in the one
basket.....

Old December 30th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

How do you get noise/attenuation data?

Old December 30th 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you get noise/attenuation data?

Some modems provide the data as part of their firmware functionality. Other
than that I don't think it's possible to get it as an end user but I'm
probably wrong.

Gareth.

Old December 30th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:15:09 -0000, Gareth wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you get noise/attenuation data?

Some modems provide the data as part of their firmware functionality.
Other
than that I don't think it's possible to get it as an end user but I'm
probably wrong.

Gareth.

Hi,

Your ISP may be able to do a Woosh test to determine the loss figures, but
unfortunately not the SNR.