Router for Wanadoo Broadband

Old December 30th 04, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paladin

Default Router for Wanadoo Broadband

Some friends recently signed up for Wanadoo broadband. They want to replace
the supplied USB modem with a router-modem in order to share the connection
with other networked machines. We're looking at both wired and wireless
solutions.

Can anyone recommend a router that has proven to work well with Wanadoo?
(Personally I use a Vigor 2600g on BT,but that's beyond their budget.) Also,
can anyone suggest where I might find an faq for router settings on the
Wanadoo service?

Many thanks.
--
Paladin

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply:

Old December 30th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Paladin" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a router that has proven to work well with
Wanadoo?

Wanadoo still use BT Wholesale's equipment at the exchanges - so anything
which works with that will be fine.

For wireless adsl modem/routers look at (among others)

Belkin 7630
Netgear 834G
USR 9106

For wired only - ebuyer do a cheap 1 port for under 25 (Quickfind code:
48448) and a 4 port one for 27..

Also, can anyone suggest where I might find an faq for
router settings on the Wanadoo service?

It will be the same as any other ISP - VPI and VCI settings of 0 and 38
etc..

Regards
Sunil

Old December 30th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Nigel M" wrote in message

In uk.telecom.broadband, Sunil Sood wrote:

VPI and VCI settings of 0 and 38

I don't have BB yet, but I've helped a few friends set it up. I
wondered what these settings were, can you suggest where to get more
info?

BT's ADSL network runs over ATM..

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/V/VCI.html
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/V/VPI.html

Regards
Sunil

Old December 30th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:53:17 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Sunil Sood wrote:

VPI and VCI settings of 0 and 38

I don't have BB yet, but I've helped a few friends set it up. I wondered
what these settings were, can you suggest where to get more info?

They are set out in a page within the Wanadoo help/faq pages
accessible from the Wanadoo home page.
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old December 30th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:45:37 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Paladin" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a router that has proven to work well with
Wanadoo?

Wanadoo still use BT Wholesale's equipment at the exchanges - so anything
which works with that will be fine.

For wireless adsl modem/routers look at (among others)

Belkin 7630
Netgear 834G
USR 9106

For wired only - ebuyer do a cheap 1 port for under 25 (Quickfind code:
48448) and a 4 port one for 27..

Also, can anyone suggest where I might find an faq for
router settings on the Wanadoo service?

It will be the same as any other ISP - VPI and VCI settings of 0 and 38
etc..

Regards
Sunil

From my own experience, I suggest you take care with the Belkin
product if you are some distance from your exchange. The little silver
Speedtouch modem works fine for me but a Belkin 7632 modem/router
didn't.
Old December 30th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Paladin wrote:
Some friends recently signed up for Wanadoo broadband. They want to
replace the supplied USB modem with a router-modem in order to share
the connection with other networked machines. We're looking at both
wired and wireless solutions.

Can anyone recommend a router that has proven to work well with
Wanadoo? (Personally I use a Vigor 2600g on BT,but that's beyond
their budget.) Also, can anyone suggest where I might find an faq for
router settings on the Wanadoo service?

Many thanks.

The one I wouldn't recommend is Wannadoo's own branded one as I've yet to
meet up with one which works fully (well I suppose I wouldn't in my line of
work, but you get my drift). The remote units are to small to contain any
meaningful aeriel size whilst the base unit appears to be all style & no
guts (that's if you want a pulsating W of course) & if my memory serves me
well it only has the one ethernet port.

Any 'named' router should do but bare in mind that some do have problems
coping with P2P traffic...

Old December 30th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message

The one I wouldn't recommend is Wannadoo's own branded one as I've
yet to meet up with one which works fully

Yes, I would avoid these - they are locked down and can only be used with
Wanadoo's service..

Regards
Sunil

Old December 30th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Nigel M" wrote in message

I get the idea, but from memory, these settings are stored in the
phone number field. Is this simply a convenient place to send them
from?

Ethernet routers generally store these details themselves.

By "phone number field" it sounds like your friends are using USB modems.

These are basically just dumb units and the Windows (assuming thats what
they use) drivers has to provide the the username and VCI/VPI information.

How they do this depends on the modem/manufacturer.

Most I have seen include the VPI/VCI information within the drivers
somewhere .

For instance, the Alcatel Speedtouch range have a special file called
phonebook.ini - and the one you would use differs depending on if you are
connected via BT Wholesale or via Kingston Communications (who use different
VPI/VCI settings from BT)

However, some seem to require you to put it in the phone number field - this
originally came up when some ISP's switched from giving the Alcatel free to
a Fujitsu USB modem. Its possble that other modems based on the same chipset
require the same.

BTW, I remember you have been on Usenet since my early days on "Pipex
Dial" (the first Local Call ISP) - back in 1995. Doesn't time fly!

Now you're making me feel old - but yes it does suprise me sometimes just
how long I have been online.. just a couple of years before you

Regards
Sunil

Old December 30th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJY

The 4-port router at
http://www.viewcon.biz/catalog/produ...products_id=32
claims to work with all ISPs.

I bought one for my brother's home network and it worked first time out of
the box on Pipex. However it didn't work on standard BT broadband -
presumably because BT configure things to only allow their routers to work.
He was much happier after I'd helped him migrate to another ISP when all was
fine.

Chris

Old December 30th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Sunil Sood wrote:
"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message

The one I wouldn't recommend is Wannadoo's own branded one as I've
yet to meet up with one which works fully

Yes, I would avoid these - they are locked down and can only be used
with Wanadoo's service..

Regards
Sunil

That means they're an even bigger pile of cows manurer than I previously
thought...

Just wait there'll be some one along in a minute saying that they's is the
best thing since Hovis..... ;-)