Plusnet usage figures

Old January 1st 05, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Plusnet usage figures

Are the plusnet usage figures accurate. I have been using plusnet adsl
for nearly three weeks now and have used a total of 600mb although it
doesnt seem like i have transferred that much amount of data. is this
considered a lot? roughly what sort of data are other plusnet 512k or
any connection speed users using per day just out of interest.

Thanks

du.
Old January 1st 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

wrote in message ...
Are the plusnet usage figures accurate. I have been using plusnet adsl
for nearly three weeks now and have used a total of 600mb although it
doesnt seem like i have transferred that much amount of data. is this
considered a lot? roughly what sort of data are other plusnet 512k or
any connection speed users using per day just out of interest.

Usage will vairy widely, from the folks who use less than 1Gb a month to
those who use several Gb a day.

600mb in 3 weeks is pretty light usage.

Jc.

Old January 1st 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

And you'll notice after a Windows Update, which don't always show size
of file if set to automatic, that the updates are huge!

Old January 1st 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Josey" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
... a total of 600mb ... is this considered a lot?

600 millibits? Next to nothing!

Old January 1st 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 01 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, wrote:

roughly what sort of data are other plusnet 512k or any connection
speed users using per day just out of interest.

Depends on the day, and what one views/downloads/does, of course.

If you are on a capped account then you would probably not want to
(a) listen to streaming audio from, say,
www.wnua.com or
(b) download/stream films from www.cinemanow.com or
(c) view webcams from around the world

4 days 50 MB 4 days 250 MB 8 days 500 MB
4 days 750 MB 2 days 1500 MB 3 days 3000 MB

That is my usage reported by Plus.Net on a 500 k connection (I have a
second connection for business use which may get heavier usage but no
need to measure traffic, and don't bother trying :-) Peter Morgan.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 1st 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Interesting! I have an outstanding ticket with PLusnet regarding my usage.
Generally it is around 80-100mb per day so I went for the 3GB cap. This
usage has been fairly static over the last ten months. then on one day it
jumped to 600MB without any apparent reason and then dropped back to my
normal level. I run hardware and software firewall (Draytek 26700 and
ZoneAlarm) and regularly run AdAware and Spybot. Neither have reported any
nasties. My pattern of usage has not altered nor have I done any downloads.
Plusnet are quite adamant that it is nothing to worry about. Now I don't
mind going over my cap if I use the extra but it does seem odd. Are the
Plusnet figures reliable of could there be some kind of intermittent
problem. Unexplained mysteries like this make me doubt the validity.
Constructive comments welcome.

Peter Crosland

Old January 2nd 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Peter Crosland:
Interesting! I have an outstanding ticket with PLusnet regarding my usage.
Generally it is around 80-100mb per day so I went for the 3GB cap. This
usage has been fairly static over the last ten months. then on one day it

..jumped to 600MB without any apparent reason and then dropped back to my
normal level. I run hardware and software firewall (Draytek 26700 and
ZoneAlarm) and regularly run AdAware and Spybot. Neither have reported any
nasties. My pattern of usage has not altered nor have I done any downloads.

Same experience here ! Before switching to 1Mb/s with 1Gb included, I
monitored our usage for 4 months
and concluded that at ~30Mb p/day we would be fine, and it was, until
beginning of December.
I have several days where PlusNet now shows 60, 70 and 100Mb, which I can't
explain.
I also note that the usage display lags quite significantly, often next day
shows much higher figure then seen when switching off.
(I also use Draytek 2600, firewalls,Ad Aware and Spybot.)
The Draytek have ability to monitor the traffic, just need to find the
software.

Can you please report any further PlusNet response.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 2nd 05, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Martin² wrote:

I have several days where PlusNet now shows 60, 70 and 100Mb, which I can't
explain.

I suppose someone could be having a determined probe/attack against your
IP address ... does your router report usage from it's LAN side or WAN side?