Slightly OT : Natinal Lottery online

Old January 1st 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default Slightly OT : Natinal Lottery online

What a bloody joke.

Every time I go to buy a ticket online on a Saturday evening (not often as I
normally go to my local Tesco, but they are closed today) it takes forever!

I logged into their secure area at 19:12, and just managed to purchase 3
lucky dips a smidge before 19:30.

18 minutes to buy 3 tickets online! Not that I am a slow surfer, it just
takes AGES to load!!!!

I have NDO 1MB ADSL, so it can't be that.

Just a little rant, that's all.

Simon

PS: HNY!

Old January 1st 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Leuty

In article ,
"Simon Ough" wrote:

What a bloody joke.

Every time I go to buy a ticket online on a Saturday evening (not often as I
normally go to my local Tesco, but they are closed today) it takes forever!

I logged into their secure area at 19:12, and just managed to purchase 3
lucky dips a smidge before 19:30.

18 minutes to buy 3 tickets online! Not that I am a slow surfer, it just
takes AGES to load!!!!

I have NDO 1MB ADSL, so it can't be that.

Considering the time that you are doing it, maybe more than a few other
people are using the website too?
Old January 2nd 05, 02:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

15/02/2004 (Published in Computing mag.)

I knew Saturday was double ROLL OVER.
I knew there would be too many late online punters.
I knew their website will FALL OVER.
I knew I should put in my numbers early.
I knew it was too late when I finally got to it at 5 p.m. Saturday.
I knew not to get excited when it let me add fiver to my Lotto account.
I knew it would happen, it ground to a halt when I tried to put in the
numbers.
I knew it was futile to persist.
I knew I should have got up and walk to the newsagent.
I knew I would keep trying for next two and half hours.
I knew when I finally managed to submit my numbers that the confirmation
page would fail.
I knew my computer program would come up the right six numbers.
I know the National Lottery robbed me of £5,704,115.33
I know I have no proof.
I know they SHOULD have a log of my completed but unconfirmed ticket.
I know even if they did and admitted it, they would still reject my claim.
I know you don't believe me, but it could have happened...
I know I should be happy I saved few pounds.
I know the odds are very high.
I know its futile.
I know I should never play again.
I know I probably will, AT a NEWSAGENT !

Regards,
Martin

Old January 2nd 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Martin²" wrote in message

I know I probably will, AT a NEWSAGENT !

Bit difficult when the newsagent is closed on New Years Day!

Old January 2nd 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message ,
Martin² writes
[...]

Subscription is the way ahead. So far it's more than paid for itself.
They keep emailing me to tell me I've won again. Just never the biggie
but one day soon............
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 2nd 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Simon Ough
writes
"Martin²" wrote in message

I know I probably will, AT a NEWSAGENT !

Bit difficult when the newsagent is closed on New Years Day!

They did it the night before!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 2nd 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'pete devlin' wrote:

I know I probably will, AT a NEWSAGENT !

Subscription is the way ahead. So far it's more than paid for itself.
They keep emailing me to tell me I've won again. Just never the biggie
but one day soon............

Are you really a legitimate target for the idiot tax?

I've thought a few things of you, but never that you were quite stupid
enough to pay that..

--
Dave Johnson -
Old January 2nd 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Dave J
writes
Are you really a legitimate target for the idiot tax?

I've thought a few things of you, but never that you were quite stupid
enough to pay that..

Sorry? I think I pay £4 a week. Maybe when my family and I are destitute
I might notice such a trivial amount going out but that's not going to
be anytime soon. You've got to be in it to win it. As you have also
seemed to ignore, it has more than paid for itself so far. YMMV.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 2nd 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'pete devlin' wrote:

In message , Dave J
writes
Are you really a legitimate target for the idiot tax?

I've thought a few things of you, but never that you were quite stupid
enough to pay that..

Sorry? I think I pay £4 a week. Maybe when my family and I are destitute
I might notice such a trivial amount going out but that's not going to
be anytime soon. You've got to be in it to win it.

Yeah, but based on the odds alone you'd get a better return (apparently, I
haven't done the sums) putting the money on a three horse accumulator at
the bookies. The idiot tax is merely a convienient way to raise money from
those too stupid (or desperate) to realise this.

As you have also
seemed to ignore, it has more than paid for itself so far. YMMV.

That counts as definite good luck, fair enough. I imagine if I was daft
enough to have a flutter in that direction then I too would probably keep
it up for as long as such luck held.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old January 2nd 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Dave J
writes
Yeah, but based on the odds alone you'd get a better return
(apparently, I haven't done the sums) putting the money on a three
horse accumulator at the bookies. The idiot tax is merely a convienient
way to raise money from those too stupid (or desperate) to realise this.

The pay out of a 3 horse accumulator isn't worth the hassle of doing the
research. I am not really a betting man but do have the occasional
flutter on my own sport of rugby. I do well at that. As I said, I think
I can afford £2 twice a week, that I don't have to do any work, queuing
or anything else for. If it comes up, brill, if it doesn't I don't miss
it. If that makes me an idiot in the Dave J pigeon hole system then fair
dos, I can live with that.

As you have also
seemed to ignore, it has more than paid for itself so far. YMMV.

That counts as definite good luck, fair enough. I imagine if I was daft
enough to have a flutter in that direction then I too would probably
keep it up for as long as such luck held.

I've had a bit of a run in the Christmas raffles too. Got more jam than
Robertson's at the mo!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"