Belkin ADSL Wireless Router and Wanadoo Service

Old January 1st 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Johnson

Default Belkin ADSL Wireless Router and Wanadoo Service

Hi,

I have just spent several hours trying to get the Belkin F5D7630U Wireless
router to work with the Wanadoo Service, but it won't connect to the ADSL
(all the parameters checked out). The ADSL LED was on alright.

This post:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...44f832360b259&
seekm=2bg8t01htekhr1m5ttvq7tn9d516tgqduu%404ax.com #link5

Suggests that the Belkin kit is not so good if you are too far from the
exchange.

Anyone any other suggestions to get this to work, or is it best to send it
back and swap for Dlink or something else?

Any advice etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Old January 1st 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Andrew Johnson wrote:

Hi,

I have just spent several hours trying to get the Belkin F5D7630U
Wireless router to work with the Wanadoo Service, but it won't
connect to the ADSL (all the parameters checked out). The ADSL LED
was on alright.

This post:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...44f832360b259&
seekm=2bg8t01htekhr1m5ttvq7tn9d516tgqduu%404ax.com #link5

Suggests that the Belkin kit is not so good if you are too far from
the exchange.

Anyone any other suggestions to get this to work, or is it best to
send it back and swap for Dlink or something else?

Any advice etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

How many lights does it have, and which ones are on? Many routers have at
least 2 ADSL status lights - the first of which comes on when it synchs with
the line, and the second when it has successfully logged on to your internet
account.

If the line quality is not good enough, it won't synch. If this is the case,
make sure that you've got filters on all analog phone equipment connected to
the line. If in doubt, try connecting it directly to the *internal* socket
in the master socket with the faceplate removed.

If it synchs but doesn't log on to your account, you have a problem with the
config parameters. Re-check the exact format of account name required, and
the case of the password. Assuming you can talk to the router from your
browser, are there any error messages?

If it synchs *and* logs on - but still doesn't "work" - you probably have a
problem with the wireless setup. Can you connect a computer using a *wired*
connection? Does that work?

Have you ever successfully connected over this line using a different modem?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 1st 05, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andrew Johnson" wrote in
message
I have just spent several hours trying to get the Belkin F5D7630U
Wireless router to work with the Wanadoo Service, but it won't
connect to the ADSL (all the parameters checked out). The ADSL LED
was on alright.

There are 4 lights on the left of the Belkin 7630:

Power
ADSL SYN
ADSL DATA
WLAN

Which of these is green ?

If the ADSL SYN light is solid green - it means the modem has sync'ed with
the ADSL line/exchange and that your problem is with something else (your
username/password or something else - your network/settings?)

For instance:
- Are you able to login to the router - its default address is
http://192.168.2.1/ ?
- if so, have you set the VCI and VPI settings to 0 and 38 ?

This post:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...44f832360b259&
seekm=2bg8t01htekhr1m5ttvq7tn9d516tgqduu%404ax.com #link5

Suggests that the Belkin kit is not so good if you are too far from
the exchange.

I woudn't go with just one persons experience to rule out a modem/router.. I
have been using one for months without a problem - though I am currently
testing a DG834G.

Regards
Sunil

Old January 1st 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:33:19 GMT, "Andrew Johnson"
wrote:

I have just spent several hours trying to get the Belkin F5D7630U Wireless
router to work with the Wanadoo Service, but it won't connect to the ADSL
(all the parameters checked out). The ADSL LED was on alright.

This post:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...44f832360b259&
seekm=2bg8t01htekhr1m5ttvq7tn9d516tgqduu%404ax.co m#link5

Suggests that the Belkin kit is not so good if you are too far from the
exchange.

I have a Belkin router and I am 8km from the exchange with a 65db
attenuation. It works fine.

But, I had a lot of problems initially. I disabled the WinXP SP2
firewall *and* my Macafee firewall but it still would not work.
Eventually I phone the Belkin help desk (in Bangalore!). They are
excellent. Their advice was to uninstall the Mcafee firewall. After
that all was well.

Phil
Old January 1st 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

wrote:

Hi,

I have just spent several hours trying to get the Belkin F5D7630U Wireless
router to work with the Wanadoo Service, but it won't connect to the ADSL
(all the parameters checked out). The ADSL LED was on alright.

Hi Andrew,

Can't speak of the Belkin unit but installed a little Edimax ADSL WiFi
router at my Sisters yesterday (that kept me busy over midnight g) .

All I did was added the full Wanadoo username (with FS on the end) and
password. Set the 0 and 38 thingies and away we went.

Well, it did after a factory reset ..( I had been exploring the
settings g) and all the time I was getting a solid ADSL led? It was
the system log that gave the best feedback and only when I saw the
authentication and network IP setup did I really get a full connection
...?

I do have *some* Belkin stuff but am not a fan .. the only reason I
would buy it (I've been given all the Belkin stuff I have) is for the
lifetime g/tee (I'm not saying it's bad, just that *I* don't like /
trust it).

All the best ..

T i m

with a P5D6001uk (pci 802.11b card) that's new and been in 3 PC's with
3 different WiFi routers and is 'weird' in all of them (signal going
up and down all the time) so is going back .. ;-(

Old January 1st 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Keates

news
wrote:

Hi,

I have just spent several hours trying to get the Belkin F5D7630U

Wireless
router to work with the Wanadoo Service, but it won't connect to the ADSL
(all the parameters checked out). The ADSL LED was on alright.

Hi Andrew,

Can't speak of the Belkin unit but installed a little Edimax ADSL WiFi
router at my Sisters yesterday (that kept me busy over midnight g) .

All I did was added the full Wanadoo username (with FS on the end) and
password. Set the 0 and 38 thingies and away we went.

Well, it did after a factory reset ..( I had been exploring the
settings g) and all the time I was getting a solid ADSL led? It was
the system log that gave the best feedback and only when I saw the
authentication and network IP setup did I really get a full connection
..?

I do have *some* Belkin stuff but am not a fan .. the only reason I
would buy it (I've been given all the Belkin stuff I have) is for the
lifetime g/tee (I'm not saying it's bad, just that *I* don't like /
trust it).

All the best ..

T i m

with a P5D6001uk (pci 802.11b card) that's new and been in 3 PC's with
3 different WiFi routers and is 'weird' in all of them (signal going
up and down all the time) so is going back .. ;-(

I am using that router with Wanadoo no problem let me know what lights are
on ???
Dave

Old January 1st 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Johnson

Thanks for all the responses everyone - really appreciate it.

There are 4 lights on the left of the Belkin 7630:

Power
ADSL SYN
ADSL DATA
WLAN

All were green except ADSL DATA. As I said, I checked all the other
parameters and tried restoring to default parameters and re-entering
everything. I copied all the other parameters - PPoA and VCI/VPI (0/38 - I
checked which way round they were) as specified on Wanadoo's own settings
page:

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/connec...esettings.htm?

If I am getting ADSL SYN on then, is it most likely a password/username
problem?

Any weird problem with dots or @ or something in the username?

Thanks - will re-check other replies

Andrew

Old January 1st 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Johnson

Thanks for reply:

How many lights does it have, and which ones are on? Many routers have at
least 2 ADSL status lights - the first of which comes on when it synchs

with
the line, and the second when it has successfully logged on to your

internet
account.

ADSL SYN - ON
ADSL DATA - OFF

If it synchs but doesn't log on to your account, you have a problem with
the
config parameters. Re-check the exact format of account name required, and
the case of the password. Assuming you can talk to the router from your
browser, are there any error messages?

No error messages as such - just shows "disconnected" when I try to connect
in the appropriate browser page.

If it synchs *and* logs on - but still doesn't "work" - you probably have

problem with the wireless setup. Can you connect a computer using a

*wired*
connection? Does that work?

Not got that far yet! But have more experience with the wireless side!

Have you ever successfully connected over this line using a different

modem?

Yes - the wanadoo speedtouch one works just fine

Old January 2nd 05, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, T i m wrote:

I do have *some* Belkin stuff but am not a fan .. the only reason I
would buy it (I've been given all the Belkin stuff I have) is for the
lifetime g/tee (I'm not saying it's bad, just that *I* don't like /
trust it).

'given' with strings attached (eg for testing) or surplus to someone's
needs if they have made changes to something else ? If ever it would
just be left gathering dust, let me know what you have and what it's
worth to you for cash, please :-) (reply address should be OK) PGM

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 2nd 05, 03:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andrew Johnson" wrote in message
There are 4 lights on the left of the Belkin 7630:

Power
ADSL SYN
ADSL DATA
WLAN

All were green except ADSL DATA.

That means your modem/router has found the ADSL signal and synced with the
line.

ADSL Data not being green just means you are not downloading anything!

As I said, I checked all the other
parameters and tried restoring to default parameters and re-entering
everything. I copied all the other parameters - PPoA and VCI/VPI (0/38 - I
checked which way round they were) as specified on Wanadoo's own settings
page:

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/connec...esettings.htm?

If I am getting ADSL SYN on then, is it most likely a password/username
problem?

Its an issue with your settings somewhere - I wasn't using the Belkin with a
Freeserve line but all the settings will be the same bar your
username/password.

Any weird problem with dots or @ or something in the username?

There should be no problems with a username in the form
[email protected] which is what it seems like you have to use from
the above url and your username/password would be identical to what you use
with your your USB modem.

Are you trying to connect wireless or via ethernet? - Ethernet is probably
easier to troubleshoot.

However, as you can obviously access the router's config pages.. have you:

- set idle time to 0
- enabled "dial on demand"
- pressed the "connect" tab under "Home"

Also, what if anything does the log say?

Regards
Sunil