tx and rx.....

Old January 2nd 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default tx and rx.....

I've got 1Mb with PlusNet (the ISP isn't important as I noticed this problem
with Freeserve).......

I use certain programs that consume alot of the upstream (such as ftp
programs to transfer data to my web space)....

When this happens I cannot download anything. The download ability is as if
I have a 28K modem or something.....

Is this usual and why does the downstream go if you use all of the 256K
upstream?

Old January 2nd 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I've got 1Mb with PlusNet (the ISP isn't important as I noticed this problem
with Freeserve).......

I use certain programs that consume alot of the upstream (such as ftp
programs to transfer data to my web space)....

When this happens I cannot download anything. The download ability is as if
I have a 28K modem or something.....

Is this usual and why does the downstream go if you use all of the 256K
upstream?

Yes it's usual. What happens is you are uploading a whole load of stuff,
and you a trying to download a whole bunch of stuff but the
acknowledgement packets that answer your download packets can't be sent
becuase your uploading a whole bunch of stuff.

You must have some free 'upload' bandwidth in order to download properly.
Old January 2nd 05, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

I use certain programs that consume alot of the upstream (such as ftp
programs to transfer data to my web space)....

When this happens I cannot download anything. The download ability is as
if I have a 28K modem or something.....

Is this usual and why does the downstream go if you use all of the 256K
upstream?

You might want to look into QoS (Quality of Service), this can be used to
ensure that Acknowledgment packets (If you are downloading the other end
sends a large packet of data to you, then you send a small one back [ACK]
saying thanks, got that one send the next) have a higher priority than the
rest of the stuff you are uploading.
Windows XP has some QoS stuff built in and some routers may also have it.

Old January 2nd 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

"Spacen Jasset" wrote in message
Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I've got 1Mb with PlusNet (the ISP isn't important as I noticed this
problem with Freeserve).......

I use certain programs that consume alot of the upstream (such as ftp
programs to transfer data to my web space)....

When this happens I cannot download anything. The download ability is as
if I have a 28K modem or something.....

Is this usual and why does the downstream go if you use all of the 256K
upstream?

Yes it's usual. What happens is you are uploading a whole load of stuff,
and you a trying to download a whole bunch of stuff but the
acknowledgement packets that answer your download packets can't be sent
becuase your uploading a whole bunch of stuff.

You must have some free 'upload' bandwidth in order to download properly.

I use a program called Netlimiter to limit the upload of specific programs.

This allows me to leave 10% of my upload bandwidth free. This makes a big
difference to my download speed and allows it to run at near to max.

Do a Google search for Netlimiter.

Regards

Old January 2nd 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

phantom wrote:

You might want to look into QoS (Quality of Service)

Yes, QoS is the best option if it is available to you, though throttling
your upload to 9X% percent of your available bandwidth (e.g using
netlimiter as suggested) should allow the acknowledgements through and
maintain a good download rate ...
Old January 2nd 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
phantom wrote:

You might want to look into QoS (Quality of Service)

Yes, QoS is the best option if it is available to you, though throttling
your upload to 9X% percent of your available bandwidth (e.g using
netlimiter as suggested) should allow the acknowledgements through and
maintain a good download rate ...

Cheers, I'll look into those suggestions!