ADSL Wireless router - recommendations please

Old January 2nd 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

Default ADSL Wireless router - recommendations please

Greetings all....and happy new year!

I need to connect 3 PC's using an ADSL Wireless router.
All 3, and the router, will be fairly close together (upstairs bedrooms)
but I may need a laptop later which will sometimes be used in the garden
(roughly 20-30 meters).

I have a copy of Windows XPpro...but prefer to use Win98SE and Mandrake
Linux, so ideally the router should be recognised by both (or not too
difficult to configure). All this for about £50 - £150.
Am I asking too much? :-)

Please, could you advise me?
Which would you recommend?

Many thanks...
chipshop
Old January 2nd 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

chipshop wrote:
Greetings all....and happy new year!

I need to connect 3 PC's using an ADSL Wireless router.
All 3, and the router, will be fairly close together (upstairs
bedrooms) but I may need a laptop later which will sometimes be used
in the garden (roughly 20-30 meters).

I have a copy of Windows XPpro...but prefer to use Win98SE and
Mandrake Linux, so ideally the router should be recognised by both
(or not too difficult to configure). All this for about £50 - £150.
Am I asking too much? :-)

Please, could you advise me?
Which would you recommend?

Many thanks...
chipshop

What ever OS you're using won't make any difference to the router (as long
as the OS can network) but it may/will have an effect on the Wifi cards you
are using.....

Most routers are as good as each other (sub £100) but remember if you want
to run P2P they will all give you problems, either rebooting or locking up.

Old January 3rd 05, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 3 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, Flying Rat wrote:

The netgear DG834 routers are apparently just as good.
You can't go wrong with D-Link or Netgear.

panto crowd Oh yes you can.... /panto crowd

Well, I've no experience of D-Link wireless but there are various not-
so-posiive comments about Netlink which might make one think twice - I
suppose it depends on what one is likely to be using the hardware for!!

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 3rd 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Most routers are as good as each other (sub £100) but remember if you want
to run P2P they will all give you problems, either rebooting or locking up.

Unless you go to 'office class' one like Draytek Vigor2600G, it's ~£152, has
USB printer port and all the features you may ever need,
and won't give you any trouble.
You should also consider the 2600VG, which has two VoIP phone sockets...
Regards,
Martin

Old January 3rd 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Flying Rat wrote:
In article ,
[email protected]& says...
chipshop wrote:
[...]

never had a p2p problem with my D-Link.

Well all I can say is that mine suffers from the same lockup/slow down as
some of the other makes.....

Mind you I haven't tried it since If reduced max connections to 50 so maybe
it may work better..

Which P2P apps are you using, if you don't mind me asking??

Old January 3rd 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Flying Rat wrote:
In article ,
[email protected]& says...
Well all I can say is that mine suffers from the same lockup/slow
down as some of the other makes.....

Mind you I haven't tried it since If reduced max connections to 50
so maybe it may work better..

Which P2P apps are you using, if you don't mind me asking??

Torrentstorm, and it doesn't barf at all. Having max connections 50
is always a bad idea. I can fire up Limewire and WinMX as well.

How have you got your routing tables set up? I did mine port by port
as single rules for each port, so 6881 forwards to 6881, 6882 to 6882
etc...

I've just put the machine concerned into the DMZ, so it effectively bypasses
the firewall, so I haven't routed the ports. Been running Emule plus, with
great success except for the lockup/reboot problems, didn't get along with
Limewire but I haven't tried WinMX, suppose I'll have to give it a go.

The way I'm getting around it is by using an electronic timeswitch & turning
it off for 60 seconds, every 24 hours, in order to clear the buffers.
Crude but it works & 60 seconds isn't long enough for me to lose the
connection to the server, well normally anyway

never had to reset the router except when it choked on saving to non-
volatile memory on one occasion. Have you updated the firmware
recently?

FR

Old January 3rd 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Nigel M wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, chipshop wrote:

Which would you recommend?

Wasn't the 3COM 3CRWE754G72-A the dog's unmentionables at one time. I
don't have BB yet, but I'm more than happy with my 3COM gear.

Same as I was with Netgear before I got ADSL but we won't go there now, tech
support non existent etc.

At least 3Com are up front about problems caused by P2P programs

Old January 4th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

chipshop wrote:

Greetings all....and happy new year!

I need to connect 3 PC's using an ADSL Wireless router.

SNIP
Which would you recommend?

Funnily enough, I am also looking at purchasing an ADSL wireless router;
from the reports on ADSLguide and other places like eBuyer feedback, of
the 'consumer' level products it would seem that the Linksys WAG54G
should be top of the list - it's about 70 pounds from ebuyer.

The Netgear 834g looks really nice, and I have always been happy with
Netgear stuff; however, some people have reported issues with the
firmware causing stability issues.

We've had issues with the long term reliability of D-Link wireless
products so I personally wouldn't recommend them, though you should be
okay for the first year.
Old January 4th 05, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"chipshop" wrote in message

I have a copy of Windows XPpro...but prefer to use Win98SE and
Mandrake Linux, so ideally the router should be recognised by both
(or not too difficult to configure). All this for about £50 - £150.
Am I asking too much? :-)

Any wireless modem/router should be fine.

Which would you recommend?

I would go for the Belikin 7630 - if for nothing else.. its one of the
cheapest and comes with a lifetime warranty. I have had one for almost a
year and its been fine.

I also have a Netgear DG834G which I am testing but have only had that for a
week and woudn't feel comfortable recommending it yest - unless you feel
like you are going to have a pressing need for ADSL2/2+ in the future
(unlikely unless your exchange has been LLU'ed)

Regards
Sunil