Wireless router and sombody else connected???

Old January 3rd 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeteIvy

Default Wireless router and sombody else connected???

Hi guys

Well I've ventured into the wireless game (belkin wireless router) and all
has been well for the past few weeks. But today, it seems that somebody else
is connected to my wireless router. Is this possible. I've got a 1mb line
and can only get anywhere between 250 and 500 on a speed test. just
disconnected everything and all four lights on the router were solid! has
somebody connected to it? If so is there anything I can do to prevent this
happening?

TIA

Pete

Old January 3rd 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

PeteIvy wrote:
Hi guys

Well I've ventured into the wireless game (belkin wireless router)
and all has been well for the past few weeks. But today, it seems
that somebody else is connected to my wireless router. Is this
possible. I've got a 1mb line and can only get anywhere between 250
and 500 on a speed test. just disconnected everything and all four
lights on the router were solid! has somebody connected to it? If so
is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

TIA

Pete

Firstly you can check thru your router diagnostics to see who's connected..

Secondly if you are using the wifi then set up some type of security on the
link, either a shared WEP key or WPA (I've forgotten which is available with
that kit).

Old January 3rd 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

PeteIvy wrote:

Hi guys

Well I've ventured into the wireless game (belkin wireless router)
and all has been well for the past few weeks. But today, it seems
that somebody else is connected to my wireless router. Is this
possible. I've got a 1mb line and can only get anywhere between 250
and 500 on a speed test. just disconnected everything and all four
lights on the router were solid! has somebody connected to it? If so
is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

TIA

Pete

There are various reasons why your connection make appear to have slowed
down - including the possibility that someone is sharing your bandwidth.

What security measures are you taking to prevent anyone from hacking into
your wireless network?

What level of encyption (if any!) are you using?
Have you changed the SSID name to something other than the default, and
turned off SSID broadcasting?
Have you implemented MAC address filtering so that only specified computers
can connect?

If none of this means anything to you, you'd better take a crash course in
wireless network security - and disable your wireless network until you've
done so!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 3rd 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

PeteIvy brought next idea :
Hi guys

Well I've ventured into the wireless game (belkin wireless router) and all
has been well for the past few weeks. But today, it seems that somebody else
is connected to my wireless router. Is this possible. I've got a 1mb line and
can only get anywhere between 250 and 500 on a speed test. just disconnected
everything and all four lights on the router were solid! has somebody
connected to it? If so is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

I would have thought the lights would flash if data was being moved via
the wireless link?

Somewhere in your Belkin menu system will be a method for setting up
MAC addresses and to enable MAC checking, before allowing a connection.
On each network card you will find a series of unique numbers called
the MAC address. Type these into your router, then ONLY those cards
which have a matching MAC in the list will be allowed to connect. You
are best doing this via a wired connection, just in case you get it
wrong. Its not fool proof, as it is still possible for someone to spoof
the MAC address if they are sufficiently determined. Something else you
could do is turn off the SSID. The SSID 'advertises' your access point.

For an even more secure WiFi network, you can set up encrypted access
on both the access point and the card end of the link.

To see if there is anyone using WiFi within range, try Network
Stumbler. It works with Belkin WiFi cards.

If you think someone is using your access point, an easy way to check
is to watch the amount of data totting up on the access points
diagnostic page. A small regular small amount of of data is normal, but
large amounts if you are not using it someone else must be.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old January 3rd 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeteIvy

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
[...]

Cheers guys. All sorted now. The neighbour has gone wireless as well and
came round asking if we had it as he was connected via somebody!!! Am now
off to read up on wireless networks etc.
Thanks again

Pete

Old January 3rd 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

kraftee wrote:
PeteIvy wrote:

Hi guys

Well I've ventured into the wireless game (belkin wireless router)
and all has been well for the past few weeks. But today, it seems
that somebody else is connected to my wireless router. Is this
possible. I've got a 1mb line and can only get anywhere between 250
and 500 on a speed test. just disconnected everything and all four
lights on the router were solid! has somebody connected to it? If so
is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

TIA

Pete

Firstly you can check thru your router diagnostics to see who's connected..

Secondly if you are using the wifi then set up some type of security on the
link, either a shared WEP key or WPA (I've forgotten which is available with
that kit).

download and install Ethereal on your wireless computer and use it to
monitor traffic. It will tell you which wireless diveices it is talking
to and whet they are doing - if you monitor for a while I'm sure you
will see some logins & passwords, perhaps for emails. When/if you find
their address send them an email for a monthly bill for internet access
- oooooo I can see hours of fun for you )
Old January 3rd 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

PeteIvy wrote:

[...]

ahh bugger, replied b4 I read this.

ok cancel your broadband and use his 'freeband' instead!
Old January 4th 05, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

johnydeath wrote:

download and install Ethereal on your wireless computer and use it to
monitor traffic.

Would need WinPcap too

It will tell you which wireless diveices it is talking
to and whet they are doing

Not necessarily, some wifi cards don't support promiscuous/monitor mode
so can only see traffic to/from themselves and broadcasts.