Upgrade from BT HomeHighway to Broadband...?

Old January 3rd 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Default Upgrade from BT HomeHighway to Broadband...?

Hi All
I've been using BT Home Hiway for several years, and enjoying the
benefits of two phone lines / 56k connect etc. with Freeserve Anytime.

I originally bought HH when I was running a small business from home
- and having the two 'virtual' phone lines was an advantage.

However - it's not cheap (typically 105 - 120 per quarter) - plus the
15 or so per month for Freeserve.

So ..... wondering about Broadband.....

I run several PCs on the small network - so I'd need some kind of a
router/hub - and I realise that I'll lose the second phone number
(which is currently used as a recorded information service for the
Church that I'm involved with)...

So - the questions....

1) Am I right in my maths - that going broadband will cost me a little
extra on the Freeserve / Wanadoo front (17.99 per month) - but will
save me considerably on the BT charges (105 down to 35 or so per
quarter). Don't think I'm going to need more than 2 gig per month...

2) As to the Church information service - I was considering running an
PC-based answering machine on the one voice line available - or even
an ordinary answering machine with a recorded announcement, where
listening to the recording can be overridden by pressing * on the
handset (my new answering machine does this!)

3) Presumably the 'free' adsl box supplied will be a USB connection -
I ask because I have a perfectly serviceable 4-port router which could
talk to an adsl box with an net port...... or would it be simpler to
buy a 4-port adsl router......

Any thoughts or comments gratefully appreciated - would have asked in
one of the Wanadoouk groups but my news service doesn't carry them
yet.

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK

Old January 4th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:53:31 -0000, "mark eldon"
wrote:

HH will charge a 50 conversion charge if your BB provider is not BT

Hi Mark

Will they - the ratbags !
I think it'll still be worth doing - by my rough calculations I'll be
saving about 250 per year......

Thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Old January 4th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:07:02 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

1) Am I right in my maths - that going broadband will cost me a little
extra on the Freeserve / Wanadoo front (17.99 per month) - but will
save me considerably on the BT charges (105 down to 35 or so per
quarter). Don't think I'm going to need more than 2 gig per month...

Highway line rental is 26/month, analogue 10.50 per month. Saving
15.50 per month easily pays for extra ISP charges.

2) As to the Church information service - I was considering running an
PC-based answering machine on the one voice line available - or even
an ordinary answering machine with a recorded announcement, where
listening to the recording can be overridden by pressing * on the
handset (my new answering machine does this!)

Callsign gives two numbers on one line and "distinctive ring" to
allow you or certain devices (including "Twintalk") to differentiate
calls by number called. You may even manage to keep your two analogue
numbers you have now.

3) Presumably the 'free' adsl box supplied will be a USB connection -
I ask because I have a perfectly serviceable 4-port router which could
talk to an adsl box with an net port...... or would it be simpler to
buy a 4-port adsl router......

you can get a 1 port ethernet modem/router and feed your existing kit,
I did that with a Zoom X3. The freebies are generally USB, though BT
Broadband may be doing one or two port modem/routers on some services.
Or get a four port adsl modem/router and do it all in one. Make sure
it has a G.dmt ADSL modem in it and isn't a "broadband router" for
cable.

The downgrade charge from Highway is 50, BT's own ISPs absorb it.
There is a thing called a "managed conversion" where the BT Engineer
that converts the line also validates that ADSL is working, if not he
puts Highway back and there is no charge. I don't think Freeserve do
those though.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old January 4th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 03/01/2005 Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Hi All
I've been using BT Home Hiway for several years, and enjoying the
benefits of two phone lines / 56k connect etc. with Freeserve Anytime.

That's not 'Home Hiway' that's Highway Robbery, you should be getting
64K on an ISDN dial up :-)

[snipped]

So - the questions....

1) Am I right in my maths - that going broadband will cost me a little
extra on the Freeserve / Wanadoo front (17.99 per month) - but will
save me considerably on the BT charges (105 down to 35 or so per
quarter). Don't think I'm going to need more than 2 gig per month...

I'm switching from BT Midband in a couple of weeks and I agree with
your maths, I'll get a nasty shock if I'm wrong.

I was thinking of Option 1 for 'phone calls which is about 10-12 per
month.

You will need a 'managed install' which will cost you 50 one off fee
to remove the ISDN kit.

2) As to the Church information service - I was considering running an
PC-based answering machine on the one voice line available - or even
an ordinary answering machine with a recorded announcement, where
listening to the recording can be overridden by pressing * on the
handset (my new answering machine does this!)

You can run any phone on the phone/extension socket, you'll need a
micro
filter for each one.

3) Presumably the 'free' adsl box supplied will be a USB connection -
I ask because I have a perfectly serviceable 4-port router which could
talk to an adsl box with an net port...... or would it be simpler to
buy a 4-port adsl router......

I think some ISP's may give you an option. USB works but is limiting. I
have gone for the Linksys WAG54G which I got in a bundle with a USB
wireless connector that I can use on my Laptop or a second PC. The
internal routing and WAP work but haven't been able to test the BB
modem yet of course.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
Old January 4th 05, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 4 Jan 2005 10:42:54 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

You will need a 'managed install' which will cost you 50 one off fee
to remove the ISDN kit.

a "managed conversion" includes reverting to ISDN if ADSL doesn't
work. That's not the same as the 50 inc VAT "downgrade ISDN to PSTN"
fee which is required (unless absorbed by a BT or other ISP).

Not all ISPs do managed conversions, so its worth making the
distinction.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 4th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Phil Thompson wrote:

a "managed conversion" includes reverting to ISDN if ADSL doesn't
work. That's not the same as the 50 inc VAT "downgrade ISDN to PSTN"
fee which is required (unless absorbed by a BT or other ISP).

Oh yes it is! For single fee of 50 you get the line downgraded from ISDN to
PSTN *and* enabled for ADSL. If the line fails the ADSL test, ISDN is
re-instated, and you're not charged anything.

Not all ISPs do managed conversions, so its worth making the
distinction.

Agreed. If you order the ISDN to PSTN downgrade directly from BT rather than
via an ADSL ISP you *will* have to pay your 50 even of the line
subsequently fails the ADSL test *and* you'll then have to pay (75?) to
have ISDN re-installed. Not a very good deal - but perhaps a bit less risky
now that we have 'extended reach'.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 4th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 04/01/2005 Tiscali Tim wrote:

Phil Thompson wrote:

a "managed conversion" includes reverting to ISDN if ADSL doesn't
work. That's not the same as the 50 inc VAT "downgrade ISDN to
PSTN" fee which is required (unless absorbed by a BT or other ISP).

Oh yes it is! For single fee of 50 you get the line downgraded from
ISDN to PSTN and enabled for ADSL. If the line fails the ADSL test,
ISDN is re-instated, and you're not charged anything.

I've been waiting over three years for BB to come to the village.

Now It'll be sleepless nights until I know that the line has passed the
ADSL test..........

Old January 4th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

HI Phil

wrote:

1) Am I right in my maths - that going broadband will cost me a little
extra on the Freeserve / Wanadoo front (17.99 per month) - but will
save me considerably on the BT charges (105 down to 35 or so per
quarter). Don't think I'm going to need more than 2 gig per month...

Highway line rental is 26/month, analogue 10.50 per month. Saving
15.50 per month easily pays for extra ISP charges.

Thanks for the confirmation g - always reassuring....!

2) As to the Church information service - I was considering running an
PC-based answering machine on the one voice line available - or even
an ordinary answering machine with a recorded announcement, where
listening to the recording can be overridden by pressing * on the
handset (my new answering machine does this!)

Callsign gives two numbers on one line and "distinctive ring" to
allow you or certain devices (including "Twintalk") to differentiate
calls by number called. You may even manage to keep your two analogue
numbers you have now.

Hmm - never heard of 'Callsign' = is that a BT thing ?

3) Presumably the 'free' adsl box supplied will be a USB connection -
I ask because I have a perfectly serviceable 4-port router which could
talk to an adsl box with an net port...... or would it be simpler to
buy a 4-port adsl router......

you can get a 1 port ethernet modem/router and feed your existing kit,
I did that with a Zoom X3. The freebies are generally USB, though BT
Broadband may be doing one or two port modem/routers on some services.
Or get a four port adsl modem/router and do it all in one. Make sure
it has a G.dmt ADSL modem in it and isn't a "broadband router" for
cable.

I was hoping to find a 'drop-in' 4-port broadband router for the sale
of a simpler install. I can put the existing 4-port Prestige ISDN
router up on Ebay (where it came from last year !).

The downgrade charge from Highway is 50, BT's own ISPs absorb it.
There is a thing called a "managed conversion" where the BT Engineer
that converts the line also validates that ADSL is working, if not he
puts Highway back and there is no charge. I don't think Freeserve do
those though.

No - I spent a hour on the phone this morning between BT and Wannadoo
- both 'sides' claimed that it was up to the other one to manage the
HH / PSTN / ADSL transition. I've got to ring Wannadoo back after 5
this evening to find out what they've discovered. I can't be the only
person in the UK trying to do this, surely ..?

Thanks for your comments
Adrian
Old January 4th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Jeff

wrote:

On 03/01/2005 Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Hi All
I've been using BT Home Hiway for several years, and enjoying the
benefits of two phone lines / 56k connect etc. with Freeserve Anytime.

That's not 'Home Hiway' that's Highway Robbery, you should be getting
64K on an ISDN dial up :-)

You're right, of course !

[snipped]

So - the questions....

1) Am I right in my maths - that going broadband will cost me a little
extra on the Freeserve / Wanadoo front (17.99 per month) - but will
save me considerably on the BT charges (105 down to 35 or so per
quarter). Don't think I'm going to need more than 2 gig per month...

I'm switching from BT Midband in a couple of weeks and I agree with
your maths, I'll get a nasty shock if I'm wrong.

Let's hope that neither of us get a shock !

I was thinking of Option 1 for 'phone calls which is about 10-12 per
month.

You will need a 'managed install' which will cost you 50 one off fee
to remove the ISDN kit.

Yes - must cost them all of ten minutes each end of the line !
At the moment I'm stuck between Wannadoo & BT - Wannadoo originally
said that they couldn't even consider supplying me with ADSL until the
phone line had reverted back to PSTN - while BT said it was up to
Wannadoo to manage the whole thing from their end..... took an hour on
the phone to get this far !

2) As to the Church information service - I was considering running an
PC-based answering machine on the one voice line available - or even
an ordinary answering machine with a recorded announcement, where
listening to the recording can be overridden by pressing * on the
handset (my new answering machine does this!)

You can run any phone on the phone/extension socket, you'll need a
micro
filter for each one.

Fine - I'll work on that basis then...

3) Presumably the 'free' adsl box supplied will be a USB connection -
I ask because I have a perfectly serviceable 4-port router which could
talk to an adsl box with an net port...... or would it be simpler to
buy a 4-port adsl router......

I think some ISP's may give you an option. USB works but is limiting. I
have gone for the Linksys WAG54G which I got in a bundle with a USB
wireless connector that I can use on my Laptop or a second PC. The
internal routing and WAP work but haven't been able to test the BB
modem yet of course.

Don't really need to go wireless - all the cables are there for an
RJ45-based network - so a simple 'drop-in' 4-port ADSL router would do
very nicely...... Ebay perhaps ?

Thanks for your comments
Adrian