Vigor Router

Old January 3rd 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

Default Vigor Router

Hi, My D-Link 604+ has just decided to start dropping connections like billy
o, its been doing it for months now, but has just started getting worse.

Anyway, time for a new wireless router, I've been told that vigor are the
best to go for, and have very stable connections and up time, not to mention
all the settings you can have.

Does anyone know which model I should be looking at as I've just noticed
that their range is vast.

Thanks

Pete

Old January 3rd 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

"Mutley" wrote in message
Hi, My D-Link 604+ has just decided to start dropping connections like
billy
o, its been doing it for months now, but has just started getting worse.

Anyway, time for a new wireless router, I've been told that vigor are the
best to go for, and have very stable connections and up time, not to
mention
all the settings you can have.

Does anyone know which model I should be looking at as I've just noticed
that their range is vast.

2600 model, personally I would go with the one with voip as well.

At the moment I just have a basic 2600, non wireless or voip unfortunatly,
but its very very good.

Sam

Thanks

Pete

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.
Opinions are those of the sender only, you must not forward, copy, or quote
this email without permission.

Old January 4th 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Albrow SJ" wrote in message

"Mutley" wrote in message
Hi, My D-Link 604+ has just decided to start dropping connections like
billy
o, its been doing it for months now, but has just started getting worse.

Anyway, time for a new wireless router, I've been told that vigor are

the
best to go for, and have very stable connections and up time, not to
mention
all the settings you can have.

Does anyone know which model I should be looking at as I've just noticed
that their range is vast.

2600 model, personally I would go with the one with voip as well.

At the moment I just have a basic 2600, non wireless or voip unfortunatly,
but its very very good.

Sam

Hi Sam

Thanks for the reply, not sure I would really use VOIP, is it a useful thing
to have?
Thanks

Pete

Old January 4th 05, 02:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Pete:
not sure I would really use VOIP, is it a useful thing to have?

Well, yes. You can make free calls to (almost) anybody anywhere in the world
who has VoIP.
If you find access to VoIP anywhere in the world, you can call home free.
Depending on provider you can also make cheap or even free calls to normal
landlines anywhere.
You can also obtain free landline US number so yanks can call you cheap or
even free.
You can have FREE UK geographical number for other people to call you,
so you have effectively another phone line with NO rental.
Check out sipgate.co.uk.
One thing though, it uses up fair bit of bandwidth.

The main advantage of the VoIP ports on the router is that the phone works
regardless whether your computer is on,
and you can plug in any normal analogue phone.
The alternative is either an VoIP adapter or VoIP phone (plugs into a normal
router) but either costs ~£70.

The Draytek 2600VG costs ~£182, ~£30 more then the non VoIP wifi 2600G.
BTW there are also cordless / mobile like WIFI phones that work directly
from wifi signal at home or anywhere (airports, stations etc.),
but at present they are very expensive ~£170+.
Regards,
Martin

Old January 4th 05, 03:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Martin²" wrote in message
Pete:
[...]

ok cheers Martin, I've found a few sites selling them, you know the cheapest
ones?

Thanks

Pete

Old January 4th 05, 03:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Martin²" wrote in message

The alternative is either an VoIP adapter or VoIP phone (plugs into a
normal router) but either costs ~£70.

Its worth saying that the "big brand" VoIP operators such as BT Broadband
Voice or Vonage (when it launches in the UK later this month) supply VoIP
adapters etc free of charge with their service.

Regards
Sunil

Old January 4th 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

usually with a 12 month contract. BT stung me on this.

For getting cheap Draytek routers, try www.zionmedia.co.uk

If interested email me, i get 10% regular customer discoumt, that i might be
able get for you.

Old January 4th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 4 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

Its worth saying that the "big brand" VoIP operators such as BT Broadband
Voice or Vonage (when it launches in the UK later this month) supply VoIP
adapters etc free of charge with their service.

I noticed at http://sipphone.com/legal/ that they decided on a lawsuit
against Vonage in the USA on the grounds of restricted use. I guess even
when "number porting" to such services is possible, I'd still be unable to
move my Call Sign numbers away from BT (rats!). Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 4th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Kirkland

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 23:23:46 -0000, Mutley wrote:

Hi, My D-Link 604+ has just decided to start dropping connections like billy
o, its been doing it for months now, but has just started getting worse.

Anyway, time for a new wireless router, I've been told that vigor are the
best to go for, and have very stable connections and up time, not to mention
all the settings you can have.

Does anyone know which model I should be looking at as I've just noticed
that their range is vast.

Thanks

Pete

Any Vigor, from the 2600 series, at least, IMHO, is a fine piece of kit.

However, you might wish to consider using a seperate WAP, with a
non-wireless Vigor, not becasue there's anything wrong with the wireless
Vigors, but it strikes me that wireless specs seem to change quite a lot,
and I suspect that replacing the WAP part of your network will be cheaper
than having to buy a new router every time. The ADSL side of things seems
to be quite stable, so will require fewer changes to keep up with the
Jones'

Just my 0.02GBP.

--
John Kirkland
Old January 4th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:04:15 +0000, John Kirkland
wrote:

[...]

Another advantage of using a separate WAP is that the most convenient
position to locate the router might not also be the best position for
a WAP in the building. You might want to put the router near to the
computer or the ADSL socket, but you might get better coverage with
the WAP in another more centrally located room in the house.

Chris