A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and someVPN queries



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 4th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and someVPN queries

a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange
server adds the user as the prefix. ie webservice is domain.co.uk,
exchange dials in to webservice, collects all and then
internally forwards them on to ,
etc. He does get shedloads of spam mail.

This seems a little cumbersome and not cost effective so I am trying to
investigate and recommend a cheaper, less maintainance solution.

If he upgrades to adsl and bins his Highway Robbery (thanks for all the
tips in that thread currently running) and the webhoster service
provides 10x pop3 mail addresses, am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.

I would appreciate comments, advice and if it can be done - pros and
cons. Would it be better to leave the exchange server on a
non-waranteed old pc running NT4 because it works? (at the moment!)

She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either
remotely connect to his PC to use a particular application, or to the
company fileserver. I am guessing that providing the new adsl
modem/router has VPN passthrough and the fileserver is running XPpro (XP
Pro is running on home PC) then this would be possible.

I do have some good info from Google, but you guys are just too geeky to
overlook )

Thanks for all help.
  #2  
Old January 4th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:35 +0000, johnydeath
wrote:

am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.


look hard at the pop3 account details. Some offer
setups where there is only one password, you can individually download
emails to one addressee but there isn't security between addresses. If
you need 10 completely separate email boxes with their own passwords
make sure that's what is offerred.

An ISP offerring spam filtering sounds appropriate, perhaps virus
filtering too.


She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either


gender ambiguity ? :-)

Hardware gets in the way of VPNs far more than ISPs.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
  #3  
Old January 4th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh andsome VPN queries

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:35 +0000, johnydeath
wrote:


am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.



look hard at the pop3 account details. Some offer
setups where there is only one password, you can individually download
emails to one addressee but there isn't security between addresses. If
you need 10 completely separate email boxes with their own passwords
make sure that's what is offerred.

An ISP offerring spam filtering sounds appropriate, perhaps virus
filtering too.


ok good point re security, I'll have to confirm that. Anti spam & AV
without question, also looking to install Norton on all workstations.


She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either



gender ambiguity ? :-)



well, you know, after the witching hour......


Hardware gets in the way of VPNs far more than ISPs.

Phil


Cheers Phil. much appreciated.
  #4  
Old January 4th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 329
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:35 +0000, johnydeath wrote:

a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange
server adds the user as the prefix. ie webservice is domain.co.uk,
exchange dials in to webservice, collects all and then
internally forwards them on to ,
etc. He does get shedloads of spam mail.

This seems a little cumbersome and not cost effective so I am trying to
investigate and recommend a cheaper, less maintainance solution.

If he upgrades to adsl and bins his Highway Robbery (thanks for all the
tips in that thread currently running) and the webhoster service
provides 10x pop3 mail addresses, am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.

I would appreciate comments, advice and if it can be done - pros and
cons. Would it be better to leave the exchange server on a
non-waranteed old pc running NT4 because it works? (at the moment!)

She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either
remotely connect to his PC to use a particular application, or to the
company fileserver. I am guessing that providing the new adsl
modem/router has VPN passthrough and the fileserver is running XPpro (XP
Pro is running on home PC) then this would be possible.

I do have some good info from Google, but you guys are just too geeky to
overlook )

Thanks for all help.


My solution for you for what it is worth. It is what I do for the company that has six employees.

1) Get ADSL with a fixed IP [I use Nildram but it is your call - Avoid BT and AOL in this exercise]

2) Get the Advanced Hosting Pack from Compila
http://web.compila.com/personal_page...d_features.htm and configure to use the Domain
name that you have already. Or get organized with a new domain name.

3) In the hosting control panel switch on Spam Assassin and also filter all mail that SpamAssasin
has been marked as spam to be discarded. Set all unrouted mail to fail.

4) Create all the POP3 accounts to your hearts desires.

5) Use a Draytek unit as setting up VPN is particularly easy with that product

6) Decide if you want addition functionality by having pcAnywhere.

7) Set up the email accounts on each client machine, whether they be in the office or at home.
Remember to set the email client to leave a copy of the message on the server if you want to read
your emails at home and at work.

8) The hosting package comes with Web Mail so you can read your emails from any PC connected to the
Internet.

9) I would suggest that you use Xp Pro SP2, fully patched, and that you have AV software on every
machine.

Simple, cheap and it all works with very little maintenance on the part of the person looking after
the facility. The downside is that making backups of your email, which maybe vital for you, could
be a bit problematic.

David Bradley




  #5  
Old January 4th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh andsome VPN queries

David Bradley wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:35 +0000, johnydeath wrote:


a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange
server adds the user as the prefix. ie webservice is domain.co.uk,
exchange dials in to webservice, collects all and then
internally forwards them on to ,
etc. He does get shedloads of spam mail.

This seems a little cumbersome and not cost effective so I am trying to
investigate and recommend a cheaper, less maintainance solution.

If he upgrades to adsl and bins his Highway Robbery (thanks for all the
tips in that thread currently running) and the webhoster service
provides 10x pop3 mail addresses, am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.

I would appreciate comments, advice and if it can be done - pros and
cons. Would it be better to leave the exchange server on a
non-waranteed old pc running NT4 because it works? (at the moment!)

She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either
remotely connect to his PC to use a particular application, or to the
company fileserver. I am guessing that providing the new adsl
modem/router has VPN passthrough and the fileserver is running XPpro (XP
Pro is running on home PC) then this would be possible.

I do have some good info from Google, but you guys are just too geeky to
overlook )

Thanks for all help.



My solution for you for what it is worth. It is what I do for the company that has six employees.

1) Get ADSL with a fixed IP [I use Nildram but it is your call - Avoid BT and AOL in this exercise]

2) Get the Advanced Hosting Pack from Compila
http://web.compila.com/personal_page...d_features.htm and configure to use the Domain
name that you have already. Or get organized with a new domain name.

3) In the hosting control panel switch on Spam Assassin and also filter all mail that SpamAssasin
has been marked as spam to be discarded. Set all unrouted mail to fail.

4) Create all the POP3 accounts to your hearts desires.

5) Use a Draytek unit as setting up VPN is particularly easy with that product

6) Decide if you want addition functionality by having pcAnywhere.

7) Set up the email accounts on each client machine, whether they be in the office or at home.
Remember to set the email client to leave a copy of the message on the server if you want to read
your emails at home and at work.

8) The hosting package comes with Web Mail so you can read your emails from any PC connected to the
Internet.

9) I would suggest that you use Xp Pro SP2, fully patched, and that you have AV software on every
machine.

Simple, cheap and it all works with very little maintenance on the part of the person looking after
the facility. The downside is that making backups of your email, which maybe vital for you, could
be a bit problematic.

David Bradley


Thanks David,

they are with Claranet at present for webhosting - however no reason not
to change for a better product.

I have heard Draytek are particularly good with VPN

Will also put some anti-spyware product on also.

Do you know if the pop accounts are individually passworded or do they
all use the same as the host login?

I wonder if I can put the mail folders on the local server rather than
the local machine and point to them in the user's personal data area?
that way it will be backed up every day.

Rgds
  #6  
Old January 4th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 329
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:56:47 +0000, johnydeath wrote:

David Bradley wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:35 +0000, johnydeath wrote:


a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange
server adds the user as the prefix. ie webservice is domain.co.uk,
exchange dials in to webservice, collects all and then
internally forwards them on to ,
etc. He does get shedloads of spam mail.

This seems a little cumbersome and not cost effective so I am trying to
investigate and recommend a cheaper, less maintainance solution.

If he upgrades to adsl and bins his Highway Robbery (thanks for all the
tips in that thread currently running) and the webhoster service
provides 10x pop3 mail addresses, am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.

I would appreciate comments, advice and if it can be done - pros and
cons. Would it be better to leave the exchange server on a
non-waranteed old pc running NT4 because it works? (at the moment!)

She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either
remotely connect to his PC to use a particular application, or to the
company fileserver. I am guessing that providing the new adsl
modem/router has VPN passthrough and the fileserver is running XPpro (XP
Pro is running on home PC) then this would be possible.

I do have some good info from Google, but you guys are just too geeky to
overlook )

Thanks for all help.



My solution for you for what it is worth. It is what I do for the company that has six employees.

1) Get ADSL with a fixed IP [I use Nildram but it is your call - Avoid BT and AOL in this exercise]

2) Get the Advanced Hosting Pack from Compila
http://web.compila.com/personal_page...d_features.htm and configure to use the Domain
name that you have already. Or get organized with a new domain name.

3) In the hosting control panel switch on Spam Assassin and also filter all mail that SpamAssasin
has been marked as spam to be discarded. Set all unrouted mail to fail.

4) Create all the POP3 accounts to your hearts desires.

5) Use a Draytek unit as setting up VPN is particularly easy with that product

6) Decide if you want addition functionality by having pcAnywhere.

7) Set up the email accounts on each client machine, whether they be in the office or at home.
Remember to set the email client to leave a copy of the message on the server if you want to read
your emails at home and at work.

8) The hosting package comes with Web Mail so you can read your emails from any PC connected to the
Internet.

9) I would suggest that you use Xp Pro SP2, fully patched, and that you have AV software on every
machine.

Simple, cheap and it all works with very little maintenance on the part of the person looking after
the facility. The downside is that making backups of your email, which maybe vital for you, could
be a bit problematic.

David Bradley


Thanks David,

they are with Claranet at present for webhosting - however no reason not
to change for a better product.


Could be that Claranet is also feature rich with features, if so it is all a question of value for
money.

I have heard Draytek are particularly good with VPN


A dim whit like me is able to do some amazing things so it can't be all that bad.

Will also put some anti-spyware product on also.

Do you know if the pop accounts are individually passworded or do they
all use the same as the host login?


Individually password protected with a different login for each user.

I wonder if I can put the mail folders on the local server rather than
the local machine and point to them in the user's personal data area?
that way it will be backed up every day.


I never comment upon anything which I have not done myself, so I can't help you here.

Rgds


David Bradley

  #7  
Old January 4th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 161
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:35 +0000, johnydeath
wrote:

a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange
server adds the user as the prefix. ie webservice is domain.co.uk,
exchange dials in to webservice, collects all and then
internally forwards them on to ,
etc. He does get shedloads of spam mail.


By default Exchange can't actually do this out of the box. There is a
package called the POP3 connector for SBS server, not sure when it
first was included though.

This seems a little cumbersome and not cost effective so I am trying to
investigate and recommend a cheaper, less maintainance solution.


Yes, but later on you mention about talking to the company file server
remotely via VPN, be careful that by stripping out parts you don't
loose features which they use for years. One significant one would be
Exchange shared calendars.

If he upgrades to adsl and bins his Highway Robbery (thanks for all the
tips in that thread currently running) and the webhoster service
provides 10x pop3 mail addresses, am I correct in saying that he can
then bin his exchange server and set up his 10x pop3 accounts as
etc etc. Ok there will be no redundancy for email
accounts but that is not a problem - it is a very small close office.


Be sure you have a web control panel and multiple passwords for the
accounts - i.e, not just one master password. Again beware of
stripping off features which they have been using for a number of
years.

I would appreciate comments, advice and if it can be done - pros and
cons. Would it be better to leave the exchange server on a
non-waranteed old pc running NT4 because it works? (at the moment!)


I take it its Exchange 5.5 then? Do you know if its Small Business
server (I think it may have been called Small Business Back Office
Server then)? This is basically a package of applications put
together to give the user a "single box does everything" experience.
If the Exchange server is causing issues, then you need to look at:

- Company requirements now and in the future
- What they have already
- Budgets
- Where they want to go
- Problems with the current system.

The SBS box also acted as the primary domain controler, if you take
this out and clients are using this it could cause a lot of work.

She is also looking for a homeworking solution whereby he can either
remotely connect to his PC to use a particular application, or to the
company fileserver. I am guessing that providing the new adsl
modem/router has VPN passthrough and the fileserver is running XPpro (XP
Pro is running on home PC) then this would be possible.


You need something a bit more substancial on the server side than just
an XP pro to XP pro connection. The latest SBS can do VPN and also
supports connecting to PCs to view the desktop/interact with
applications etc.

There are also other solutions, depending on how much you want to
spend. Quite a lot of these run in Linux boxes with easy to configure
front ends for low maintanance use - products such as:

NetPilot
http://www.netpilot.com
Net-Inter-Net http://www.kyzo.com
SME Server http://www.contribs.org (free, but takes a bit of work
getting it going).

I don't have experience with all these products, but have them in a
list for times like these. Some of them may even run on your old NT
machine!

The other advantage of these boxes is that they also contain
antispam/virus software for only a little extra cost (the NIN
especially), whereas on a new SBS box you need to purchase Windows
server versions, which are expensive.

I am not advocating any solution, just bare in mind the above.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Hodgson in Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
  #8  
Old January 4th 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,720
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:56:47 +0000, johnydeath
wrote:

I wonder if I can put the mail folders on the local server rather than
the local machine and point to them in the user's personal data area?
that way it will be backed up every day.


that's email client specific. You can do it with Pegasus Mail for
example, where the users email folders live in a single directory
that you can put where you want at the time of setting up.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
  #9  
Old January 5th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

johnydeath wrote:

a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange
server adds the user as the prefix. ie webservice is domain.co.uk,
exchange dials in to webservice, collects all and then
internally forwards them on to ,
etc. He does get shedloads of spam mail.


having a mail server on site is a good idea - that way users can send each
other emails (with large attachments) and it is all handled internally.

so the email for the domain is routed to the office and the mail server
distributes it to the clients. the mail server will also send out email
destined for external addresses.

however exchange server is not a good idea - it comes with security issues.

i have recently set up a server using debian/linux and postfix for the email
server and this seems to be working well.

HTH,

kev bailey
  #10  
Old January 5th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default change of ISDN to ADSL & exchange email address setup - oh and some VPN queries

On 05 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, kevin bailey wrote:

johnydeath wrote:

a little (lot of) advice please

My friend has an office with 10 pcs. Currently they are connected to
the internet via a switch and an isdn modem. There is a server which
runs exchange for the emails to be internally distributed from an
externally hosted website.

I am guessing that the exchange server is used purely because the the
domain name is being taken from the webservice and then the exchange

....

having a mail server on site is a good idea - that way users can send each
other emails (with large attachments) and it is all handled internally.


Agreed, and there are "off the shelf" products available, so they could
use an existing server/moderate spec PC, and run mail from Kerio.com or
use MDaemon, which can be bought at modest cost as a commercial solution
for their mail. A firm I support had been using Demon via ISDN for its
mail until their MS Exchange server had a major HD problem (it was about
6 years old, and I had suggested a replacement to get them off v5.5 with
its security issues). The death of the HD (well, they spend a couple of
thousand getting their several years-worth of e-mail off it!) was enough
to spur them into trying out both MDaemon and Kerio. MDaemon offers them
anti-virus protection (updated several times a day) and, as Kev pointed
out, a server on site is a good idea for local traffic / attachments.

As a result of the death of the MS Exchange server, the firm switched to
ADSL for its mail as well as browing (and now has one ADSL from Eclipse,
and one from Plus.Net, in case of problems at one of them). Their mail
server offers staff access via POP, IMAP, and web browser (MDaemon has
its own web mail facility with a few different 'skins') and they just
scrapped the ISDN and Demon account once the MDaemon s/w was paid for
back in 2003. They shift a few GB of mail a week (consultancy firm,
exchanging documents with clients and other consultancy firms when a
joint project is in progress) but they also wanted some off-site mail
backup and I helped them with that, too. Peter Morgan.

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
email address David Bradley uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 September 27th 04 09:46 PM
Queries with using ADSL David G uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 September 19th 04 08:31 PM
can't get ADSL as over 3mile from exchange BUT is isdn BT HOME HIGHWAY a worth while option if I can get it Ronald Jones uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 August 4th 04 12:52 PM
isdn v adsl - reach from exchange banzai uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 May 15th 04 12:45 AM
Time to fix my email address - Help please Joe Cocker uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 18 April 13th 04 12:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.