Belkin F5D7630-4A ADSL Modem with Wireless Router - problems

Old January 4th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
David Wright

Default Belkin F5D7630-4A ADSL Modem with Wireless Router - problems

Hello,

I have successfully set my Belkin F5D7630-4A up to connect to the Internet
(I am using it now!), completely wirelessly using the Belkin F5D6050 802.11b
USB Wireless Adaptor.

The problem I have is, whilst it all works fine using the default settings
and the unencrypted default SSID of belkin54g, as soon as I change the
security mode to 64-bit WEP and set the key, I can still apparently locate
and connect to the wireless network but once I have entered the key and
waited Windows (XP Home) eventually tells me "Limited or no connectivity"
and I cannot surf - not even to reach the devices configuration page via
http://192.168.2.1.

Something to do with "not being assigned an IP address"?

As I said, all works fine straight from the box - but as soon as I change
something it all goes pear shaped, and I'm back to hard-reseting it and
trying again.

BTW, If I manually set the PC to use 192.168.2.2 (the one it normally
assigns itself) it connects fine without the messages above, but I still
cannot browse the net or reach the config.

Any ideas?

Ta!
David.

Old January 5th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Not Me

David Wright wrote:
Hello,

I have successfully set my Belkin F5D7630-4A up to connect to the Internet
(I am using it now!), completely wirelessly using the Belkin F5D6050 802.11b
USB Wireless Adaptor.

No help I'm afraid, but I could never figure out how to get the wep
encryption working, so just coped with hiding the SSID and using the MAC
filtering security... fortunately I can now use WPA, which is a doddle!

Also you can reflash the box with SMC firmware, which adds lots more
features, and you never know, it might fix the problem you're having??

HTH,
Chris
Old January 6th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Treefrog

"David Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Are you also setting the correct WEP key on the windows xp machine? The
problem you describe sounds like you haven't set the key on the client
machines.

Also, another tip, forgot about 64bit, use 128 and change the ssid to
something other than belkin54g, which let's potential attackers know that
it's a belkin. I like to use "stop_wardriving".