Data passing between cable modem & PC when PC is off

Old January 5th 05, 12:42 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband
Hyphen

Default Data passing between cable modem & PC when PC is off

Zarbol Tsar wrote:
I connect to the Net using NTL and I have got an Ambit cable modem.

Some of the green LEDs flicker on the cable modem even when my PC is
turned off. I need to actually unplug the PC from the mains to make
the LEDs stop flickering.

What data is passing between my cable modem and my PC when the PC is
powered down but not unplugged?

Some network cards stay connected even after the computer is turned off
(well, it's not actually 'off' - it's in standby but modern machines
tend to supply power to some devices in this mode) in order to listen to
Wake On LAN signals, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it at all - the CM passes on all data it receives
to whatever it's connected to by default, so all the downloading it's
doing (mostly port scans, ARP requests, that kind of thing) is basically
ending up in a big bit bucket. As long as there's no uploading going on
then everything's normal and fine and there's no need to worry. :-)

If you really are worried, just unplug the Ethernet (or USB) cable, the
PC or even the CM. That'll shut the thing up... ;-)

HTH,

--
Hyphen
http://www.khyle.org.uk
Old January 6th 05, 12:10 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cox

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:07:17 GMT, Zarbol Tsar wrote:

What is the purpose of having the network card feature (on my mobo in
fact) enabled even though the PC is powered down?

Seems as if someone designed this to be possible but what reason
would they have to want this?

Wake on LAN?

--
Ian Cox
Sutton-in-Ashfield
Old January 6th 05, 12:36 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

What is the purpose of having the network card feature (on my mobo in
fact) enabled even though the PC is powered down?

There`s a feature called "wake on LAN", which is where a PC can be
powered up remotely by sending a "magic packet"

Old January 6th 05, 05:09 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Colin Wilson wrote:
What is the purpose of having the network card feature (on my mobo in
fact) enabled even though the PC is powered down?

There`s a feature called "wake on LAN", which is where a PC can be
powered up remotely by sending a "magic packet"

I'll give you that but the USB on one of my machines does exactly the same
(it supplies power) & surely there can't be a wake on USB function, or can
there......

Old January 6th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 6 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, "kraftee" wrote:

I'll give you that but the USB on one of my machines does exactly the same (it
supplies power) & surely there can't be a wake on USB function, or can there...

means you can still charge your mobile phone, or if you have one of those
small LED 'lamps' you get a reminder there is power on in the box... PGM.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org