Switching to Wanadoo Braodband

Old January 5th 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grey

Default Switching to Wanadoo Braodband

I'm on the point of changing from BT dialup to broadband and was trying to
decide best package. I am looking at Wanadoo's 1M/2GB 17.99 package and
have a few questions.
Can I still access my old BT email address?
What is Wanadoo's level of service?
Newsgroup access?
Is this going to mess up my phone in any way?
Any other problems?

Thanks for help,

Graham

Old January 5th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
in2minds

What is Wanadoo's level of service?

FMLE, neighbour has been fighting with them for 6 weeks because his line
keeps dropping
they've been telling him (at least once a week) BT had been informed and
would be testing the line
When he phoned Wanadoo yesterday they told him this was the first time
they'd been informed of a problem... he's been calling them regularly
for the past 6 weeks yet there's no log of his calls
anyway BT engineer finally came out today and said BT were only informed
of a problem yesterday... I don't know if it was fixed yet

Any other problems?

they're French ? (c;

LJ

Old January 5th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Grey wrote:

Can I still access my old BT email address?

Only if you keep paying for it too!

Is this going to mess up my phone in any way?

Make sure you get sufficient microfilters of reasonable quality.
Old January 5th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

in2minds wrote:

they're French ? (c;

I'd be more worried that they *were* freeserve ...
Old January 5th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Wynes

"Grey" wrote in message
I'm on the point of changing from BT dialup to broadband and was trying to
decide best package. I am looking at Wanadoo's 1M/2GB 17.99 package and
have a few questions.
Can I still access my old BT email address?
What is Wanadoo's level of service?
Newsgroup access?
Is this going to mess up my phone in any way?
Any other problems?

Thanks for help,

Graham

Been with Wanadoo/Freeserve on dial up since 1999 and have always been
satisfied.

Ordered broadband 17.99 package 28/12/04
Modem (Broadband in a box) arrived 30/12/04
Service live 10am 1/1/05
Called to cancel dialup - no problem. Dial-up off 3/1/04 as agreed with
Wanadoo
Newsgroups fine (as you can see)
If you surf forums there are unhappy people, but those of us who are happy
rarely say so!
Broadband service excellent (so far) ;-)

Old January 5th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, Andy Burns wrote:

I'd be more worried that they *were* freeserve ...

I used the Freeserve ADSL service for almost 2 years with few problems.

There was one period (when they were changing their users off particular
pipes) when there were some slowdowns, but overall theirs was a good, if
slightly pricey, service (I was on their wires only trial from before the
BT national launch in April 2002, so had a USB modem initially, and paid
about 100 for that and ADSL setup, but the monthly fee was 29.99 for some
time, then was dropped to 19.99 (a mistake, rather than as 27.99 it should
have been) and went up again when the eventually found out in the summer
of 2003.

I went to Plus.Net which at the time had a worse news service, but has
greatly improved in the past X months. "Extras" on Plus.Net are quite
a lot better with a free 0870 fax to e-mail number, and webspace etc.

Speed and reliable connections are similar on the two services but
information about service is much more forthcoming on Plus.Net and the
customer support is fairly friendly (though I've not had to use either
support team for technical problems, except for getting the ADSL ceased
by Freeserve, which took about 3 months!). Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 5th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter M wrote:

I used the Freeserve ADSL service for almost 2 years with few problems.

I don't like being forced to use anyone else's web proxy or mail server

information about service is much more forthcoming on Plus.Net

That was a major reason for me choosing plusnet
Old January 5th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grey

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Grey wrote:

Can I still access my old BT email address?

Only if you keep paying for it too!

I only asked because I used to belong to Virgin and although I closed down
the account some years ago, my Email address is still valid.

Graham

Old January 5th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Grey wrote:

I used to belong to Virgin and although I closed down
the account some years ago, my Email address is still valid.

Shhhh ;-)
Old January 5th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Grey wrote:

Can I still access my old BT email address?

Only if you keep paying for it too!

Probably wrong!
When you cancel your dialup account most ISP`s will convert you to pay as
you go, just use your existing dial up modem to access the BT account once
every couple of months to keep the account active.