Error 680 ??

Old January 5th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Default Error 680 ??

Hello

I need some help.

I have been using Pipex's dsl (half meg) for over a year now without any
problems.

However in the past few weeks my line keeps dropping giving the error :

"The modem cannot detect the dial tone" Error 680.

and then when attempting to log back in it gives me the same error....

It tries to login a few attempts and after trying a couple of times, it gets
me back in. I can then be logged in for awhile without any problems...can
be for a few hours or even the whole day at most or just 20 or so mins at
least, and I am thrown out again.

I have surfed the net to get some info on this problem .... i did the
following after reading the notes on the net

1. changed my filter
2. checked by extension
3. i even phoned 150 whereby BT checked the line, and there was nothing
wrong the line according to them.

Can someone shed any light as to what may be wrong ? and why this is
happening

thanks in advance.

Old January 5th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Wynes

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Longshot - loose cable/connection at the modem/router

Old January 5th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Error 680 means no dial tone. As you can obviously connect some times, I
think I might suspect either the BT line, or a faulty modem

HTH

Old January 5th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Kimball K Kinnison wrote:

Error 680 means no dial tone. As you can obviously connect some times, I
think I might suspect either the BT line, or a faulty modem

Given that an ADSL modem doesn't need dial tone as it doesn't actually
dial, it's just a meaningless windows error messaged, hi-jacked to have
a different meaning in this case, you can't really take it mean anything
more than "can't connect", but you knew that anyway :-(

check pc-modem usb connection,

power of/on modem (if separately powered)

reboot pc

try plugging adsl modem directly into master socket with no phones (no
splitter needed in this case, but won't do harm either)

unload/reload windows driver for modem