Newbie: alternatives to BT

Old January 5th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bruce phipps

Default Newbie: alternatives to BT

Broadband newbie looking to buy my first broadband package...

I have a BT telephone line and a IBM Thinkpad 600X laptop.

Currently I am looking at BT Broadband 512k/15 GB per month -- 25 per
month.

Modem supplied and signing-up and connection should be no hassle as
far as I can tell. But the price seems expensive.
Any cheaper packages out there?
How much do b/band modems cost?

Thanks
Bruce
Old January 5th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"bruce phipps" wrote in message
om...
Broadband newbie looking to buy my first broadband package...

I have a BT telephone line and a IBM Thinkpad 600X laptop.

Currently I am looking at BT Broadband 512k/15 GB per month -- 25 per
month.

Modem supplied and signing-up and connection should be no hassle as
far as I can tell. But the price seems expensive.
Any cheaper packages out there?
How much do b/band modems cost?

Thanks
Bruce

Check on http://www.adslguide.org.uk You can compare the features/costs of
different providers.

Old January 5th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Have a look at adslguide web site.

Regards [email protected]

Old January 5th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Currently I am looking at BT Broadband 512k/15 GB per month -- 25 per
month.
Modem supplied and signing-up and connection should be no hassle as
far as I can tell. But the price seems expensive.

Depending on the type of modem bundled with a package, some laptops may
have problems providing sufficient power to the USB port for them to
work. This is anecdotal, not first hand knowledge :-}

Any cheaper packages out there?

Amongst others, i`m on the 23.44 package with Pipex, 512k, no limits, no
restrictions. Very happy with the service at this price personally.

How much do b/band modems cost?

About 19+VAT at ebuyer for a wired adsl modem/router, but as you`re on a
laptop, you might want to look for a wifi connection to save dangling
wires...

Old January 6th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I'm thinking about a Wanadoo 1MB connection.

A BT search on my phone number indicates that I can get 512k and *may*
get 1 MB.

Whats the best procedure? Get BT to do all the work assessing my line,
then jump ship to Wanadoo?

Bruce

Old January 6th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

A couple of dumb newbie questions:

* As I understand it, when I get BB installed my internet use will be
covered by the monthly BB charge. But I will still have to pay BT
quarterly line rental + phone call costs. Am I right?

* Does a home user/surfer typically need a 1 meg connection?
Downloading video files or software downloads would be easier with 1
meg ...

Bruce

Old January 6th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I know home users with higher than 1000 kbps, it boils down to what

you
plan to do. One home user I know has a 1000 kbps link with a monthly

quota of 1 GB because it is cheap and offers high speed when either
one of them is online. Look at the price of 1000 kbps from MetroNet
and you will see that starts well under the 20 quid mark (but it is a
Pay as you Use service - even so, represents great value if you spend

bit of the year away as you only pay ~28 quid in the busiest months).

Thanks.
PlusNet seems to have a good reputation in this NG and seemed to be a
good price until I saw the "activation charge" of up to 70.

What gives? BT do not charge connection fee for entry-level home-use BB
products as far as I can tell.

Bruce