Asus Router/Logitech camera bargain

Old January 5th 05, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Asus Router/Logitech camera bargain

After some advice on this NG I took the plunge and ordered an Asus WL-500g
from Tekheads. Imagine my delight when it turned up today complete with a
Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 in the box as well. Asus have some sort of
promotion running and the box has an orange sticker. Grab one while you can
since it is effectively saves you nearly 60. Usual disclaimers. Puzzling
the supplier did not have this offer flagged.

--
Peter Crosland

Old January 5th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

What modem do you have?

Old January 6th 05, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Built in to 500g.

--
Peter Crosland

Old January 6th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

My WL-500g does not have one either, hence the question. Errrr, Peter,
what modem will you buy when you discover the WL-500g does not include
a modem?

I use a DLINK DSL-300T. By default the router and the modem both have
the IP address 192.168.1.1. Change the router to 192.168.0.1. My
desktop PC's are set to have static IPs of 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.
The DHCP server in the router is set to start handing out addresses
from 192.168.0.6 onwards. I do this because I use port forwarding.

Nigel M, what modem do you have (let's give him choice) :-) Oh,
another one Nigel, have you installed the new firmware released just
before Christmas? It says they have reduced the transmitter power for
some reason. I wonder how much of an effect it has on the range?

Old January 6th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

My WL-500g does not have one either, hence the question. Errrr, Peter,
what modem will you buy when you discover the WL-500g does not include
a modem?

That is what had been puzzling me! I had not actually unpacked it and looked
at the install. No problem since I already have a Draytek 2600.

Old January 6th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

Default Asus Router/Logitech camera bargain 500g

Yes, press and hold to start using the new firmware you just installed.

Old January 6th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

No problem then. Getting the webcam as part of the deal was a good
deal. I have 2 of the Logitech 4000's - excellent webcam but have not
used it in the WL-500g.

Old January 6th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

No problem then. Getting the webcam as part of the deal was a good
deal. I have 2 of the Logitech 4000's - excellent webcam but have not
used it in the WL-500g.

A clear case of me not having RTFM! I had simply taken the advice on this NG
about the choice of the 500g. Now my problem that I have no idea of how to
set the Draytek up so that it I can see the 500g. I suspect the problem is
that it is so flexible that it has become incomprehensible to someone like
myself who has no real understanding of how to alter the TCP/IP settings. I
have never had to use subnet masks. Any chance of some help please?

Old January 6th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

I will help if I can. The modem i use is a straight thru modem and as
such is very easy to set up.

To use the 2 together you will need to disable NAT on the Draytek. The
manual says that "usually you will use the router as a NAT enabled
router". To me this implies that it CAN be set as a non-NAT enable
router.

You will use the Draytek to log on to the ISP then use the WL-500g for
NAT and wireless LAN.

Old January 6th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

To use the 2 together you will need to disable NAT on the Draytek. The
manual says that "usually you will use the router as a NAT enabled
router". To me this implies that it CAN be set as a non-NAT enable
router.

You will use the Draytek to log on to the ISP then use the WL-500g for
NAT and wireless LAN.

Thanks for that. I will have another look.