2 aerials better than 1 on wireless routers?

Old January 6th 05, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Default 2 aerials better than 1 on wireless routers?

Curious as to whether wireless routers with 2 antennae are
more effective than those with 1, like my Linksys??

Old January 6th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Gel wrote:

Curious as to whether wireless routers with 2 antennae are
more effective than those with 1, like my Linksys??

Allegedly so - but I've only ever had one with 2 antennae (3Com) - so I've
nothing to compare it with.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 6th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

Yes with one antenna you can get a dark spot move two inches and its ok
thats what the two are used for.

Free Fax2Email http://www.islandhost.net/ngns/ngn_index.php

I refuse ID Cards http://www.irefuse.org

Old January 6th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Gel wrote:

Curious as to whether wireless routers with 2 antennae are
more effective than those with 1

The wierd and wonderful way that 2.4GHz signals propagate around things
like walls, girders, people and furniture means that even a small
difference in position can make a big difference in signal strength
between two devices.

The idea of multiple aerials is not to provide "twice the power", but to
provide "diversity", so that the wireless device can measure the
relative signal strength of each aerial when communicating to each other
device and then use the best one, a few inches can make the difference,
and save you having to shuffle your laptop around to get a good signal.
Old January 6th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

DH wrote:
Yes with one antenna you can get a dark spot move two inches and its
ok thats what the two are used for.

Well my D-link (with the new AU firmware which is apparently working ok)
give an increase of nearly 100% (from a 25% signal to a 50% signal) to a
fixed piece of kit compared to my 3com...

Think you'll find that's very much a horses for courses, twin are supposed
to be better but it may not be so for everyone....

Old January 8th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

In message .com, Gel
writes
Curious as to whether wireless routers with 2 antennae are
more effective than those with 1, like my Linksys??

Diversity means that there will be 2 independent receivers as well as
two antennas.
Stage michrophones use the same system to overcome dead spots.

--
dd
Old January 8th 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Thanks 4 that.