Wanadoo and Linux Compatibility

Old January 6th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iceman/Alpha Male

Default Wanadoo and Linux Compatibility

I'm interested in ordering the Wanadoo broadband package but my PC is a
dual-boot one.
It runs both Windows ME and Mandrake Linux 10.1.
I have no doubt the free modem that Wanadoo provide will work under Windows
but I'd be interested to know if it is compatible with Mandrake Linux 10.1.
According to Wanadoo technical support the free modem they provide is a
Thomson Speed Touch 330.

If your PC runs Mandrake 10.1 and you are using Broadband with a SpeedTouch
330 USB modem please reply.
Cheers
Mike

Old January 6th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Iceman/Alpha Male wrote:
I'm interested in ordering the Wanadoo broadband package but my PC is
a dual-boot one.
It runs both Windows ME and Mandrake Linux 10.1.
I have no doubt the free modem that Wanadoo provide will work under
Windows but I'd be interested to know if it is compatible with
Mandrake Linux 10.1. According to Wanadoo technical support the free
modem they provide is a Thomson Speed Touch 330.

If your PC runs Mandrake 10.1 and you are using Broadband with a
SpeedTouch 330 USB modem please reply.
Cheers
Mike

Do yourself a favour & don't use the Thompson, get yourself a router. They
are reasonably cheap & as long as you've got the networking protocols on
both your OS's & a Network card onboard your machine you will have very
littls to worry about.

The reason I'm saying don't use a Thompson is that there has been spate of
dead ones over the last few months & there doesn't appear to be any common
factors other than they just stop working....

Old January 7th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Tindale

kraftee wrote:

Iceman/Alpha Male wrote:

If your PC runs Mandrake 10.1 and you are using Broadband with a
SpeedTouch 330 USB modem please reply.
Cheers
Mike

Do yourself a favour & don't use the Thompson, get yourself a router.

http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/in.../index.en.html (might be
included in Mandrake by now - it's been years since I used Mandrake, or a
Speedtouch - I'm on Gentoo with a D-Link 604+ now).

but, yes, get an adsl modem/router - far less hassle in the long run.

--
Ian Tindale