Average download speeds on a 512K connection

Old January 6th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Average download speeds on a 512K connection

Can people tell me what sort of transfer rate per second that they are
getting on a 512k connection i know about contention but im not sure
if mine is a fast as it should be just curious

The last couple of days mine has been around 30kb/s throughout
different times of the day and also the evening although now as im
typing this it seems to be around 49.2kb/s

I take it the transfer rate might also vary depending on where your
downloading the file from, is this correct?

Just another question supposing that someone had a connection of 512k
with no contention whatsoever what is the theoretical speed they could
download at per second, and how is this kb/s per second transfer rate
worked out according to your connection speed be it 512k 1meg etc..

Thanks in advance.

du.
Old January 6th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Can people tell me what sort of transfer rate per second that they are
getting on a 512k connection i know about contention but im not sure
if mine is a fast as it should be just curious

Up to 60k/sec

Old January 6th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Warner

Phil Thompson wrote:

The speedtester at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp is
a constant you can benchmark against. There's an ISP independant one
described at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

I like to use this:
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

and test on the 'very busy' LA linkLINE

I always get a faster result there than I do at www.adslguide.org.uk so
I feel better ;o)

Actually, the LA one is the only one that seems to agree with my desktop
monitor. I wonder if that means anything...

All the best,
Tom
--
My ol' grandaddy taught me to always;
post in plain text,
Old January 7th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:46:20 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband,
Phil Thompson wrote:

It gave me a crap answer as well, I could see the stalls in the

the UK ones I tried via the 'other' option and even ADSLguide.org
didn't manage to get the full speed of my (Tiscali-provided, and
Datastream) line but I used the Windows Task Manager to monitor
my network connection and it reached the expected 15% when I was
pulling an audio stream and three webcam streams (2 to fill the
1000 and 1 + audio to fill the 500). Peter M

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 7th 05, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Phil Thompson wrote:

It gave me a crap answer as well, I could see the stalls in the

the UK ones I tried via the 'other' option and even ADSLguide.org
didn't manage to get the full speed of my (Tiscali-provided, and
Datastream) line but I used the Windows Task Manager to monitor
my network connection and it reached the expected 15% when I was
pulling an audio stream and three webcam streams (2 to fill the
1000 and 1 + audio to fill the 500). Peter M

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org

I have a 512Kbs connection with plusnet but i do have to say that web
browsing is very fast and im pretty happy with the speeds i was just
concerned that i wasnt getting the download speeds that i should with
a 512 connection.

I did the bandwidth speed test on the plusnet site this morning and it
said that i could download at 60kb/s from their servers adlslguide
reported about 58kb/s my transfer rate seems to fluctuate quite a lot
normally slowing down to sometimes 17kb/s is this normal?

Has anyone got any sites that i could test downloading actual files
from, sites that are normally quite fast if there are any :-)