Buying a Laptop, (notebook) for a potential University student.

Old January 6th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Buying a Laptop, (notebook) for a potential University student.

I am currently considering the purchase of a Laptop for my Daughter's
Twenty First birthday and am suffering many hints from her that I must
not choose it for her but that she must have a say in it. While I have a
certain amount of sympathy for that viewpoint, as I am the person
forking out the money I consider it reasonable that I should have some
sort of say in the matter.
I have spent many hours "doing my homework" taking into account her
vague description of her requirements but am as wise now as when I
started out to look. I seem to understand from her remarks that she
needs graphics ability and plenty of RAM. Although I am a Computer
"nerd" and fairly well informed about IT, it is only in relation to
Desktops, not Laptops. I would want her to have the latest Wi-Fi
capabilities but not to have to pay "over the top" for it. It will be
linked, (when at home), to my ADSL 2M system and I am really unaware how
that will affect me when she is using her Laptop on the same ISP. Can
anyone spare a little time to advise which make and model represents the
best "bang for the buck" and also if I should go the "Dell or Gateway"
route rather than the high street retailer.
I have about three days left to "gen-up" on my inadequate knowledge of
Laptops and what is important, do please someone help!!
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 6th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Middleton

Hi Derrick, I just bought my nephew a laptop for xmas - going to Manchester
Uni. he needed something he could use as a multi device (as most students
do) DVD Player/HiFi/CD/Gaming - good download abilities (Large HD) for MP3 +
plus desktop capabilities - good battery life and wireless (Centrino Chip) +
reasonably rugged - I think the best value is a Toshiba Satellite M30-107
P-M 745 (which is what I got him) - I have used Toshibas for years and
never - I mean NEVER had any downtime - and I travel the world with them. As
far as your 2Mbps ADSL connection is concerned - as long as you install a
good Wifi DSL router/modem then you will not notice any real difference - My
household connects 1 hardwired PC - 2 wireless Laptops plus a wireless
PocketPC at the same time - My wife also uses 1 of the laptops to VPN into
her Dallas, USA HQ at the same time and everything works just great. Hope
this helps as you didn't give any idea of the depth of your pocket.

Bill Middleton

Old January 6th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

I would want her to have the latest Wi-Fi capabilities but not to have
to pay "over the top" for it.

and her needs are what, exactly ? While she might not have expressed her
wishes too well, and while you are the one forking out, has she any that
give a clue as to why she likes them, compared with your study of the
market ? For all we know, she might be doing some arts/printing/graphics
course and want an iMac while you know a lot more about what she has said
in her hints towards a particular model...

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 6th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Perhaps if you choose the laptop that you think is suitable and give her a
chance to pay the difference in price between that one and the one she wants
you will have a fair compromise.

Old January 7th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Lewis

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:10:50 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

I am currently considering the purchase of a Laptop for my Daughter's
Twenty First birthday and am suffering many hints from her that I must
not choose it for her but that she must have a say in it. While I have a
certain amount of sympathy for that viewpoint, as I am the person
forking out the money I consider it reasonable that I should have some
sort of say in the matter.

I recall in my younger days that someone took it upon themselves to
buy me my first decent camera.

As good as it was it wasn't the camera I wanted but it was too good to
ditch so I felt lumbered with it for about 5yrs before I bought my
own.

Would it really be any the less a present if you bought it together?

--
TonyL
Old January 7th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Just give her and her mother the money.

If they wan't to know anything, they'll ask you.

Old January 7th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Reg Edwards
writes
Just give her and her mother the money.

If they wan't to know anything, they'll ask you.

Probably the best and safest advice so far, but my pride won't let me
;-))
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 7th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dummy Newgroup name

Comes before a fall...
8-s

Mark