How to connect 56K modem to ADSL line ?

Old January 7th 05, 05:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.Robinson

Default How to connect 56K modem to ADSL line ?

I have a 56 K modem that I want to use as a backup if my ADSL service goes
down. The idea is that this would call a dialup number, either with my ADSL
ISP or maybe a different one. My question is: should I connect this modem
directly to the ADSL phone line or must it be connected through a filter
(like a telephone) ? I guess it should be connected through a filter but do
ADSL filters have a cut-off that is high enough to allow conventional analog
modem signals to pass back and forth without attenuating them too much ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Old January 7th 05, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert Kruiswijk

Throught the filter and in the telephone socket of the filter NOT as I once
did in the ADSL socket. Will still work btw but as very slow speeds.

Bert.
e.net...

Old January 7th 05, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

A.Robinson wrote:
My question is: should I connect this modem
directly to the ADSL phone line or must it be connected through a filter
(like a telephone) ? I guess it should be connected through a filter but do
ADSL filters have a cut-off that is high enough to allow conventional analog
modem signals to pass back and forth without attenuating them too much ?

Treat the modem as you would a phone and you will be fine. Use good
quality filters though.

Old January 7th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:07:20 -0000, "Bert Kruiswijk"
wrote:

Will still work btw but as very slow speeds.

mine works at 44k or more through phone port of a BT faceplate
splitter.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 7th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 5:13:36 +0000, A.Robinson
wrote:

Any advice would be appreciated

Treat it like a phone and connect to the filter as Hiram suggested.

If you use a USB modem you will not be able to use both at the same
time IIRC, as both use DUN and that will not allow you to have two
connections at once. I know you didn't ask this, but thought I'd put
'some icing on the cake'.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old January 7th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

If you use a USB modem you will not be able to use both at the same
time IIRC, as both use DUN and that will not allow you to have two
connections at once. I know you didn't ask this, but thought I'd put
'some icing on the cake'.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Hi Guy, you OK?

Granted not to the same COM port or USB device (obviously).
But you can certainly have more than one concurrent DUN connection.

VPN is often implemented using a second DUN connection.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 7th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:57:17 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

Hi Graham,

Hi Guy, you OK?

Not too bad. Been off work for a couple of days with a virus that is
doing the rounds.

Granted not to the same COM port or USB device (obviously).
But you can certainly have more than one concurrent DUN connection.

I recall that the only time I tried it, it failed. Alcatel frog on USB
port and modem on com 2. It was a while ago so I am probably mistaken

73s and Happy New Year.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old January 10th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Millington

wrote:

I have a 56 K modem that I want to use as a backup if my ADSL service goes
down. The idea is that this would call a dialup number, either with my ADSL

It won't help if some idiot doing roadworks cuts a main BT cable
leaving you (and most of your street) without any telephone service at
all for 3 days - as has just happened to me (BT originally
estimated 5 days for fixing it, but managed to do it in only 3...)

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
begin OE is broken read MS knowledgebase Q265230