Using a Router and a separate line in for ADSL, at same time. Is it possible?

Old January 7th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

Default Using a Router and a separate line in for ADSL, at same time. Is it possible?

My knowledge of this subject is very basic. Hopefully I can receive
guidance from someone regarding the following:

A local Community Building is due to have Broadband installed. I
assume that a router will be employed for the connection.

On an occasional basis it is proposed to use the same Broadband
service in a remote part of the building. I doubt whether the
Committee will want to use wireless nor will there be an agreement to
cables running from the router to the distant position of the
additional computer.

There is a telephone line adjacent to the remote PC and I wonder
whether it would be a workable solution to install either another
router or just an ADSL modem in the PC and connect to a filtered
telephone point.

In other words can an ADSL line be accessed by both arrangements at
the same time.

KM

Old January 7th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:59:18 +0000, km wrote:

In other words can an ADSL line be accessed by both arrangements at
the same time.

no. Can't be present on the line at the same time either. Use wireless
and don't tell them.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 7th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

km wrote:

[...]

Well, you've had 3 unequivocal NO's - and my anwser is a qualified 'no' with
a number of caveats.

Everything depends on this additional phone "line" in the remote location.
Is it a totally separate line with a different number from the other one, or
is it just an extension socket belonging to the same line?

If the former, you've had it - unless you pay to have *both* lines enabled
for ADSL, plus a monthly ISP fee for both.

If the latter, you could plug your ADSL modem and PC into *either* socket -
using micro-filters - and so you could use a computer in the remote
location. HOWEVER, you mustn't have more than one modem plugged in at the
same time, because *neither* will then work - so the people in the main
building would have to unplug whenever those in the remote bit needed to
connect.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 7th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:59:18 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband,
km wrote:

On an occasional basis it is proposed to use the same Broadband
service in a remote part of the building. I doubt whether the
Committee will want to use wireless nor will there be agreement ...

In other words can an ADSL line be accessed by both arrangements at
the same time.

No, not both connecting to the same service, but assuming it is the
same phone number on the line at the remote part of the building,
you could take the router from room A to room B. Either the
committee will have to consider other options or you won't be able
to get access in room B. Remember to use a filter on the socket in
room B and (depending on how much use it will get) using an 0845 or
other service (there's one which charges a tenner for up to 2000 min
of connect time, spread over up to 90 days at myinternetpass.com or
http://www.mipcards.com/) Not high speed, but may work! Peter

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 7th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter M wrote:

In other words can an ADSL line be accessed by both arrangements at
the same time.

No, not both connecting to the same service, but assuming it is the
same phone number on the line at the remote part of the building,
you could take the router from room A to room B. Either the
committee will have to consider other options or you won't be able
to get access in room B. Remember to use a filter on the socket in
room B and (depending on how much use it will get) using an 0845 or
other service (there's one which charges a tenner for up to 2000 min
of connect time, spread over up to 90 days at myinternetpass.com or
http://www.mipcards.com/) Not high speed, but may work! Peter

I don't know whether the OP is confused by this, but I am!

He wants to access the *broadband* connection from the remote location. As
you say, provided the phone line is the same number as the main one, he
could simply transfer the router temporarily from one phone socket to the
other (using filters if there's any analog equipment also plugged in). So
far, so good!

But what's the bit about 0845 services? Are you suggesting a low-speed
dial-up connection in the remote location as an *alternative* to accessing
BB from there? If so, it's not at all clear!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 7th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:38:15 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"

km wrote:

[...]

As far as I know the phone connection in the remote location is an
extension.

I suspect that the router will be left connected in the main office so
the option to simply plug in either a router or ADSL modem at the
remote point will not be available.

The remote PC will probably be used 4 times per month (2 in the
evening and 2 in the afternoon) so the dependance upon daytime office
workers to disconnect for those 2 nights would lead to problems ie
forgetting to disconnect. The 2 daytimes would be out as the router
would be in use at the main office point.

There is already pay-as-you-go access to the internet at the remote PC
but the question was posed to try and take advantage of the move
towards Broadband by the office.

Thanks for all the advice.

KM
Old January 7th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

km wrote:

[...]

Going against the flow & muddying the waters, there is some kit, which BT
Yahoo supply which allows you to remotely connect to the router via the
telephone line & so enjoy your broadband experience from an extension, via
the extesion wiring into the router....

Don't ask me any more details as I only remember it because I fubared one
end users by fitting a SSFP. Apparently it will work with plug in filters
but not a faceplate filter. Maybe a visit to BT Yahoo & a browse thru what
kit they supply may be in order.

Old January 7th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:25:12 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Going against the flow & muddying the waters, there is some kit, which BT
Yahoo supply which allows you to remotely connect to the router via the
telephone line & so enjoy your broadband experience from an extension, via
the extesion wiring into the router....

good point

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware.../q4/bt1250.asp

it has "Home PNA" networking over the (unfiltered) phone extension
wiring. Might be some HomePlug adaptors to carry it over the mains
too.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)