Virgin ADSL settings

Old January 8th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

Default Virgin ADSL settings

Been having problems with my router dropping the ADSL connection
(requiring restarting the unit to get it up again) so posted a query
on the dlink website. They suggested the problem is with my isp
settings:

"Seems like the setup for the DSL-G604T are incorrect. My suggestion
is to first call your internet service provider for all the proper
information for setup especially the usename and password. The name
can be anything you like. Select the type of connection that you use
from (PPPoE, PPPoA, Static, DHCP, Bridge, CLIP). As most ISPs in the
UK are currently using PPPoA this document will concentrate on PPPoA
configuration. Untick the NAT and FIREWALL checkboxes PPP Settings.
Set encapsulation to VC Enter your Username and Password You do not
need to change the Keep Alive and MAX Fail values from the default.
You will need to change the MRU/MTU value depending on what the ISP
can support. Most ISPs can support up to 1500 bytes. If you are
having problems after connection i.e slow web browsing, check with the
ISP what the MTU value should be. Select the set route option PVC
settings VPI 0 VCI 38 Click on apply."

I've done all of the above (changed MTU to 1430 from 1400) *EXCEPT*
disabling the firewall and NAT. I'm of the view that disabling the
firewall isn't the best idea.... Any suggestions/advice?

TIA
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Please reply to the group
Old January 8th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:47:51 +0000, Cheeky wrote:

Been having problems with my router dropping the ADSL connection
(requiring restarting the unit to get it up again)

is that a loss of synch / los of signal, or some other type of error ?

Does it tell you stats like the noise margin or SNR margin and
attenuation.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 8th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:48:02 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:47:51 +0000, Cheeky wrote:

Been having problems with my router dropping the ADSL connection
(requiring restarting the unit to get it up again)

is that a loss of synch / los of signal, or some other type of error ?

Does it tell you stats like the noise margin or SNR margin and
attenuation.

Phil

The only way I can describe it is that the connection is still there
(according to the router) but you cannot connect to external sites or
servers, ping tests will also fail. Restarting the AP resolves the
problem instantly

I couldn't find the stats you were looking for. Is there a standalone
programme I could use to check this.

FWIW I'm in an urban area within a mile of the exchange.
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Old January 8th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:30:51 +0000, Cheeky wrote:

I couldn't find the stats you were looking for. Is there a standalone
programme I could use to check this.

it might have a commnad line interface you can Telnet into, but by the
time you researched that you would have found it elsewhere.

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...ts.asp?TID=896 implies its
readily available from a DSL status page. May also be a useful forum
to scout around.

Can you ping or surf by IP address rather than URL,
http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...?TID=1669&PN=1
suggests their is a known DNS issue

FWIW I'm in an urban area within a mile of the exchange.

so loss of synch due to interference should not be an issue.

There isn't a timeout setting in the router is there, also sometimes
these things are fixed by software upgrades - is yours the latest ?

Did you set your computers MTU to 1430 so they match that of the
router ?

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 9th 05, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Cheeky wrote:
[...]

Not by any chance running P2P as your symptons match what mine was doing on
a regular basis, very regular basis. I appear to have resolved it by
upgrading the firmware to one which has been released on the Australian
website but no where else for some reason.

There was a thread a couple of days ago, on this group, about the update, so
you could try looking back for it...

Old January 9th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:10:54 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:30:51 +0000, Cheeky wrote:

I couldn't find the stats you were looking for. Is there a standalone
programme I could use to check this.

it might have a commnad line interface you can Telnet into, but by the
time you researched that you would have found it elsewhere.

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...ts.asp?TID=896 implies its
readily available from a DSL status page. May also be a useful forum
to scout around.

D'oh! I was staring it in the face. Thanks for the forum link as well.
Here we go:

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
US Margin 31
DS Margin 31
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 20
US Line Attenuation 22
Path Mode Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Can you ping or surf by IP address rather than URL,
http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...?TID=1669&PN=1
suggests their is a known DNS issue

If I log into the router and run a ping test it can only perform it
using IP addresses and not URLs. I haven't tried surfing by IP but
will try it next time.

FWIW I'm in an urban area within a mile of the exchange.

so loss of synch due to interference should not be an issue.

There isn't a timeout setting in the router is there, also sometimes
these things are fixed by software upgrades - is yours the latest ?

Am following up Kraftee's suggestion about the latest firmware on the
Australian site.

Did you set your computers MTU to 1430 so they match that of the
router ?

Phil

I have now done so!
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Old January 9th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:38:04 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Not by any chance running P2P as your symptons match what mine was doing on
a regular basis, very regular basis. I appear to have resolved it by
upgrading the firmware to one which has been released on the Australian
website but no where else for some reason.

There was a thread a couple of days ago, on this group, about the update, so
you could try looking back for it...

I occasionally use P2P but don't have it running all the time as I'm
on a capped account

Incidentally, I noticed in the release notes that the upgrade "removes
mac address filtering". That's currently how I restrict access to my
network. What is the "access list" that replaces it?

TIA
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Old March 7th 07, 12:20 AM
JesusJones's Avatar
JesusJones JesusJones is offline
Junior Member

I too have a slow connection from an urban B&B with Virgin ADSL, through a Linksys WAG354G modem router though. I've upgraded the firmware from 1.01.03 to 1.01.09 but with little improvement. I should be getting more than 16kBps down! The down/up rates below just look wrong too - Is there someone in the know out there who can tell me what I need to say to Virgin to get this fixed?

Many thanks,

AB.

DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 160 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 12 db
Upstream Margin: 16 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 38
Upstream Line Attenuation: 24
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
QoS: UBR
PCR Rate: 0
SCR Rate: 0
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Enable: Yes
PVC Status: Applied
Old March 7th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"JesusJones" wrote in message

DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 160 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 12 db
Upstream Margin: 16 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 38
Upstream Line Attenuation: 24
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

With line figures like that I would expect more down .

Does it always sync to that speed if you power cycle the router?

How does the line get to you.. overhead?

Old March 12th 07, 10:47 PM
JesusJones's Avatar
JesusJones JesusJones is offline
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
With line figures like that I would expect more down .

Does it always sync to that speed if you power cycle the router?

How does the line get to you.. overhead?
Hi Dennis, many thanks for your quick response. I've checked and the line comes from underground. Whether it THEN goes overhead I don't know, but we are several miles from the town or an exchange.

I do have a new status page from the modem though, with the numbers more like I expected (see below). The download speed is still the same 16kBps from several sites though (nvidia, microsoft). I'd appreciate any ideas! ;-)

DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 544 Kbps