Broadband with Virgin.net advice

Old January 9th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kath

Default Broadband with Virgin.net advice

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with Virgin.Net broadband.
Next week Broadband is available in my area and so far I have found
Virgin.net to have the best offer on.

17.99 3gig download limit. and 10x

Does anyone know whether they are a good service to go with or can anyone
tell me of anything better that will only cost me 17.99 as I can't really
afford anything more expensive than that. I also liked the idea that Virgin
don't put you on a contract though if it was it wouldn't bother me too much.

would be very grateful for some advice!

Thanks

Kath

Old January 9th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Griffin

My uncle is using virgin net without any problems at all, but a mate at work
has had to resort to cancelling his credit card to cancel the service, I
think it's probably like anything really, You get a few bad ones and a few
good ones.
But on the whole my uncle thinks it's great.

Old January 9th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

I've been using virgin for over a year now, and apart from some service
problems in Dec 2003, it has ben flawless. Some users report that the
support phone line is not great, however the one time I have used it, they
were very helpful.

HTH

Old January 9th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:06:16 GMT, "Piers James"
-nospam wrote:

I've been using virgin for over a year now, and apart from some service
problems in Dec 2003, it has ben flawless. Some users report that the
support phone line is not great, however the one time I have used it, they
were very helpful.

HTH

I've been on the 17.99 service since October and it's been fine - no
problems to date. Everything was done when it was supposed to be -
they did take the full 10 (working) days to activate the account,
though.... That's what they said, though (7-10 days) so I'm not
complaining!

The one time I contacted the support line they were very helpful
especially considering I was not using the speedtouch modem they sell.

ADSLGuide has had them as second only to Nildram in terms of speed of
late.
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Please reply to the group
Old January 9th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

Kath wrote:

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with Virgin.Net broadband.
Next week Broadband is available in my area and so far I have found
Virgin.net to have the best offer on.

17.99 3gig download limit. and 10x

Does anyone know whether they are a good service to go with or can anyone
tell me of anything better that will only cost me 17.99 as I can't really
afford anything more expensive than that. I also liked the idea that Virgin
don't put you on a contract though if it was it wouldn't bother me too much.

would be very grateful for some advice!

It's not a bad price, as long as you're awa

virgin.net is owned by NTL
support calls are premium rate

A friend of mine was with virgin.net and moved over to Nildram because
at the time the service was dreadful. In the end it turned out to be a
BT problem but the virgin.net support was quite hopeless. This was
nearly a year ago and I think the service has improved since.

I personally would pay two pounds extra and go for the basic unlimited
Demon package, but if 18 pounds is all you want to pay...

Old January 9th 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Wanadoo/Freeserve is the same price with 1M speed rather than 512k, and
free modem but 12 month min contract.

Phil

Old January 10th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zardoz

I've just started with Virgin - technical support very good, about 10
days to connect me (over Christmas so no idea how many working days)
and I get 600kbps connection compared to my old Tiscali account @ 500
ish. Too early to say whether this translates into a better real
service.

My only gripe was the mail service (see my previous thread) which is
prone to filling up with junk even before I had told anyone my
address. Perhaps this is just par for the course though.