Requirements for 2mbit?

Old January 9th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Default Requirements for 2mbit?

Hi,

What are the technical requirements for 2mbit? I currently have 1mbit
and would like to upgrade. Here's my router's measurements:

Down Up
SNR Margin (dB): 15.0 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 47.0 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.0 16.9
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2240 1008
Rate (Kbps) 1152 288
K 37 10
R 0 0
S 1 1
D 1 1

Thanks,
Mark.
Old January 9th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The BT limit is 43dB attenuation.

Peter Crosland

Old January 9th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Peter Crosland wrote:
The BT limit is 43dB attenuation.

Thanks, just missed it then. Do you think they will increase this value
in future?
Old January 9th 05, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
Mark Allison wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:
The BT limit is 43dB attenuation.

Thanks, just missed it then. Do you think they will increase this value
in future?

I may have misunderstood, but I'm sure I heard that having ADSL adds
about 6dB to the figure that your line would have without ADSL, so you
may be alright - if I heard and understood correctly.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net

Old January 9th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

They might do. Have you tried the line checker on the BT site to see what
they rate the line at?

Peter Crosland

Old January 9th 05, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ego

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2240 1008

yeah,you can get 2Mbps line.According to
your router results your line is limited to 2Mbps physically.

Old January 9th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

"Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2240 1008"

tells you you're on the limit. www.bt.com/broadband number checker
tells you if its going to be easy to get 2M or a struggle. If you
desire reliability I would stay at 1M unless you can improve the SNR
Margin to 18-20 (by same techniques as used by people struggling to
make it work at all)

Phil

Old January 10th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

PhilT wrote:
"Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2240 1008"

tells you you're on the limit. www.bt.com/broadband number checker
tells you if its going to be easy to get 2M or a struggle. If you
desire reliability I would stay at 1M unless you can improve the SNR
Margin to 18-20 (by same techniques as used by people struggling to
make it work at all)

Here's what the broadband checker says:

----
For Telephone Number mynumber on Exchange WILSTEAD

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have
an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps
download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service
may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the
broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to
confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to
purchase.

Thank you for your interest.
----
Old January 11th 05, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an
ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download
speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may
require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband
service.

In that case the chances of getting 2MB are very low indeed!