Slow upstream?

Old January 9th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt Clemson

Default Slow upstream?

I seem to be getting very poor upload rates lately; I'm on 512/256, but
while I get a quite respectable 40-odd KB/sec down, I'm barely scraping
5KB/sec upwards - if that - a good quarter of what I should be expecting.

I don't think there's any 'rogue software' playing up - I'm pretty much
clear of ad/spyware, and I've not had any signs of viruses since I got
this machine. The connection seems to be consistently poor no matter
which computers are networked to the router (A DLink DSL-604+), so I
doubt it's a computer-side issue.

One thing that's a bit of a worry is that, every so often, I get huge
numbers of line errors reported in the router stats; usually about 7 HEC
ones, about 50 CRC ones and 65535 (Presumably hitting the limit there)
of FEC ones. However, they don't go up consistently - if I reset the
count, they stay at sensible numbers for several hours, while if I redo
the speed test, I still get slow results - there's no errors for that
specific test, at least.

This isn't a major problem *quite* yet, but with World of Warcraft on
the way soon, I want to be prepared to handle the demands that'll make
on the connection :-)

-Matt
Old January 9th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt Clemson

Matt Clemson wrote:
I seem to be getting very poor upload rates lately; I'm on 512/256, but
while I get a quite respectable 40-odd KB/sec down, I'm barely scraping
5KB/sec upwards - if that - a good quarter of what I should be expecting.

Add in a "From Wanadoo" there; oops. Actually, it's a Freeserve package,
since I applied back then and never changed to a Wanadoo package when
they buyout happened...

-Matt
Old January 9th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

It may be rate adapting on the upstream, down to as little as 64
kbits/s - this would show up on the modem/router link speed as less
than 288 kbps upstream sync speed.

Review your filtering and try with nowt else plugged in, also try the
test socket at the back of the BT master socket if you have the
detachable lower half version.

Phil

Old January 10th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Matt Clemson wrote:

[...]

What test? If it's adslguide then this has been seen before, the reality
being that upload is really OK. Try uploading to webspace/sending big
attachment etc.

Andy.

Old January 10th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt Clemson

Andy Furniss wrote:

What test? If it's adslguide then this has been seen before, the reality
being that upload is really OK. Try uploading to webspace/sending big
attachment etc.

It happened to be ADSLGuide, but it wasn't just that; I'd had pretty
poor results from several places, including an upload to webspace, so I
don't think it was *just* down to ADSLGuide being weird.

-Matt
Old January 12th 05, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Matt Clemson wrote:

Andy Furniss wrote:

What test? If it's adslguide then this has been seen before, the reality
being that upload is really OK. Try uploading to webspace/sending big
attachment etc.

It happened to be ADSLGuide, but it wasn't just that; I'd had pretty
poor results from several places, including an upload to webspace, so I
don't think it was *just* down to ADSLGuide being weird.

That's a shame - I suppose it could be packet loss caused by the errors
then.

I don't get stats for upstream from my modem, I assume it's the same for
you.

If you want to get an idea of how much loss you get have a look at tcp
segments retransmitted while uploading with netstat -s in a console/dos
window/command prompt - whatever windows calls them.

If your game uses udp things may not be too bad as tcp uses dropped packets
as a signal to back off.

Andy.