Is firewall software still needed?

Old January 9th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

Default Is firewall software still needed?

Hi, I have a router with an "inbuilt" firewall, does this mean I still need
say Norton Firewall installed or can I take it off as it seems to be hogging
CPU power and slowing the pc down.

Thanks

Pete

Old January 9th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mutley" wrote:

Hi, I have a router with an "inbuilt" firewall, does this mean I still need
say Norton Firewall installed or can I take it off as it seems to be hogging
CPU power and slowing the pc down.

Best to have a firewall per PC. If Norton is slowing it down, *switch* to
a different one! Kerio.com has one, and there are others, for free (there
are older firewalls around, at http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/
from Kerio and Tiny Software. The router firewall may not stop outgoing
traffic, which is why one per PC is better than none. Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 9th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Peter M" wrote in message
On 9 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mutley" wrote:

Hi, I have a router with an "inbuilt" firewall, does this mean I still

need
say Norton Firewall installed or can I take it off as it seems to be

hogging
CPU power and slowing the pc down.

Best to have a firewall per PC. If Norton is slowing it down, *switch* to
a different one! Kerio.com has one, and there are others, for free (there
are older firewalls around, at http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/
from Kerio and Tiny Software. The router firewall may not stop outgoing
traffic, which is why one per PC is better than none. Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org

Will the Windows one be ok?

Old January 9th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mutley wrote:

Will the Windows one be ok?

The only Windows one that's anywhere near ok is the one included in XP SP2.
Even then, many people say that you'd be better off with something like
ZoneAlarm. [The free version of this is ok].

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old January 9th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mutley" wrote:

Will the Windows one be ok?

If you mean Windows XP SP2, I don't know, as I've not touched it yet.
The Kerio site has their latest, which will be a full version for 30 days
(includes a pop-up blocker) but if you decide not to purchase, falls back
to basic firewall after that, though only going on what contacts have let
me know, since I've been using the older free ones from Kerio and Tiny on
the PCs I have here. Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 9th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Peter M" wrote in message
On 9 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mutley" wrote:

Will the Windows one be ok?

If you mean Windows XP SP2, I don't know, as I've not touched it yet.
The Kerio site has their latest, which will be a full version for 30 days
(includes a pop-up blocker) but if you decide not to purchase, falls back
to basic firewall after that, though only going on what contacts have let
me know, since I've been using the older free ones from Kerio and Tiny on
the PCs I have here. Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org

How about Mcafee Firewall 6.0? my dads just got a new pc, but he doesn't use
the internet so it's mine if I want it.

I don't know how good mcafee is

Thanks

Old January 9th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:09:20 -0000, ["Mutley"
] said :-

"Peter M" wrote in message
.. .
On 9 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mutley" wrote:

Hi, I have a router with an "inbuilt" firewall, does this mean I still

need
say Norton Firewall installed or can I take it off as it seems to be

hogging
CPU power and slowing the pc down.

Best to have a firewall per PC. If Norton is slowing it down, *switch* to
a different one! Kerio.com has one, and there are others, for free (there
are older firewalls around, at http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/
from Kerio and Tiny Software. The router firewall may not stop outgoing
traffic, which is why one per PC is better than none. Peter M.

Will the Windows one be ok?

The windows XP SP2 does not do outgoing.

Use free versions of Kerio, Sygate or ZA
Old January 9th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Will the Windows one be ok?

Would you really trust MS with anything involving security ?

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old January 9th 05, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:39:18 +0000, Spin Dryer
wrote:

The windows XP SP2 does not do outgoing.

It will, however, warn if something tries to act as a server. I find
it adequate.

Oliver.
Old January 9th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , says...
Will the Windows one be ok?

No, its inbound only so if any malware on your PC is trying to phone
home, you won't know and it won't be blocked.

--
Conor

-- George Patton