WAG54G / WUSB54 encryption query?

Old January 9th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

Default WAG54G / WUSB54 encryption query?

I have a WAG54G gateway and a WUSB54 adapter.

I have configure to use WPA Pre-Shared Key and all is working well
except.....

When I look at the status / wireless page, the entry Encryption is indicated
as "disabled".

Linksys support (that I have no confidence in as a result of answers to
other basic questions) tells me that I need to upgrade my firmware and it
looks as if I have a hardware problem. They state that it is unlikely that
encryption is working.

Surely, as I cannot connect from my adapter unless I submit the correct WPA
information, encryption must be working?

I am loath to upgrade my firmware as everything else I need to use appears
to be working fine and I have read many reports of people upgrading and as a
result introduced serious problems. I am on my second kit as the first
adapter would not work at all i.e. not recognised by my OS.

Has anyone experienced the 'encryption' symptom I am getting and how did you
get round it?

Old January 9th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

HAVE YOU TRIED wep INSTEAD. Set up on router and on laptop. I have this
router and a standard lapto wifi card.

Set up on router, will give you 4 sets of numbers; pick one and select
on router and laptop

Old January 9th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Gel wrote:
HAVE YOU TRIED wep INSTEAD. Set up on router and on laptop. I have this
router and a standard lapto wifi card.

Set up on router, will give you 4 sets of numbers; pick one and select

WEP is significantly less secure than WPA.
As in, can be cracked by anyone who cares to.
Old January 9th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Gel wrote:
HAVE YOU TRIED wep INSTEAD. Set up on router and on laptop. I have this
router and a standard lapto wifi card.

Set up on router, will give you 4 sets of numbers; pick one and select

WEP is significantly less secure than WPA.
As in, can be cracked by anyone who cares to.

If I change back to WEP 64 or 128, the Encryption status is okay i.e.
correctly reported. Upon changing back to WPA, the status reverts to
"disabled".

Maybe this is simply what it does when in WPA mode but Linksys think it is
an issue. Pity Live Support cannot pass the information to their
developers.

Like you say, WEP is less secure so I will stay with WPA and assume that it
is working - it must (?) be as both units have to be configured the same.

It would be useful if someone else with a WAG54G could confirm that they get
the same or if they get different and what firmware is running - I have
1.01.6 on the unit and showing wireless firmware version 1.0.4.3 on the
wireless status page.

Old January 18th 05, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Kelly

Gel wrote:
[...]

been a long time, but I do not get that problem on my, I finally
couple days ago got it working. But I am not using linksy filmware I
am using a 3-rd part one. (I thought had to increase the power of the
router wireless output. But turn out I needed to turn on the wireless
on the laptop. have a check on http://www.linksysinfo.org/
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Old February 5th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

I have this Linksys router but generic pcmia card, and its s/ware shows
encryption as ENABLED : I'm using WPA