0.0db SNR

Old January 9th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ste Kearney

Default 0.0db SNR

WTF!

Just reconnected the ADSL to the highly dodgy internal extentions for
convenience and checked the SNR. Dropped from 24db to 0db!

Yet ADSL is still working fine. It's 1mb with 51db Attenuation.

adsl status

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (annex A) ----------------------------
Running Mode : T1.413 State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 1152000 bps US Actual Rate : 288000 bps
DS maximum Rate : 1824000 bps US maximum Rate : 832000 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
NE Current Attenuation : 52.0 dB Cur SNR Margin : 0.0 dB
DS actual PSDM(C) : 00000007 US actual PSDM(R) : 00001be5
ADSL Firmware Version : 41e2be2c
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 31.5 dB Far SNR Margin : 21.0 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : 00000000 CO ITU Version[1] : 00000000
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : Unknown
INTL, DSTREAM bytes/depth= 1, symbols/codewords = 0, latency= 0*0.25ms.
, USTREAM bytes/depth= 1, symbols/codewords = 0, latency= 0*0.25ms.
CODE, DSTREAM fast parity bytes= 0, fast codeword= 37.
DSTREAM intl parity bytes= 0, intl codeword= 0.
CODE, USTREAM fast parity bytes= 0, fast codeword= 10.
USTREAM intl parity bytes= 0, intl codeword= 0.
Setting
FDQ : Enable, TCM : Enable, EC : Disable, Framing Mode : 3.
Running
FDQ : In Use, TCM : In Use, EC : Off.
DS : Framing Mode 3, US : Framing Mode 3.
ADI ADSL Firmware Version: 41e2be2c

How can it work?

Ste

--
Take out no before @ and spam after

Old January 9th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Ste Kearney wrote:
WTF!

Just reconnected the ADSL to the highly dodgy internal extentions for
convenience and checked the SNR. Dropped from 24db to 0db!

Yet ADSL is still working fine. It's 1mb with 51db Attenuation.

snip
How can it work?

It's not 0db SNR, it's 0db SNR margin - or in other words on the ragged
edge.
Old January 9th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Ian Stirling wrote:
Ste Kearney wrote:
WTF!

Just reconnected the ADSL to the highly dodgy internal extentions for
convenience and checked the SNR. Dropped from 24db to 0db!

Yet ADSL is still working fine. It's 1mb with 51db Attenuation.
snip How can it work?

It's not 0db SNR, it's 0db SNR margin - or in other words on the
ragged edge.

We wait with bated breath for the 'why is my ADSL service dropping out of
service' postings

Old January 10th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ste Kearney

On 2005-01-09 20:21:50 +0000, "kraftee" [email protected]& die.com said:

Ian Stirling wrote:
Ste Kearney wrote:
WTF!

Just reconnected the ADSL to the highly dodgy internal extentions for
convenience and checked the SNR. Dropped from 24db to 0db!

Yet ADSL is still working fine. It's 1mb with 51db Attenuation.
snip How can it work?

It's not 0db SNR, it's 0db SNR margin - or in other words on the
ragged edge.

We wait with bated breath for the 'why is my ADSL service dropping out
of service' postings

Well it's only temporarily lashed up this way till i fix my internal
extention wiring. Normally 24db with all that unplugged at an
inconveniently positioned master socket. On edge of wireless range u
see!

But it's still going strong with no dropouts. 3.5db at this point!

Ste

--
Take out no before @ and spam after

Old January 13th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message 2005011023404727544%[email protected], Ste Kearney
writes
Well it's only temporarily lashed up this way till i fix my internal
extention wiring.

Sorry but the pedant has to come out every now and then and this one is
beginning to get on my tits - it's extenSion!!!!!!!!!!
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"