backhaul - (what's in a name?)

Old January 9th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default backhaul - (what's in a name?)

The term 'backhaul' is widely used in this group and sites like
adslguide to refer to the link (usually an optical fibre one) from an
exchange to the core network. But Wikipedia only gives the use of the
term in the context of TV programming content. Moreover, I was a little
surprised to find that the adsl engineer enabling the local exchange
also appeared NOT to know the term.

Does the term have a reliable pedigree please (if so what/where)?
In the mean time, in the best wikipedia.org tradition, I've added a
rider at the start of the main 'backhaul' article...

Bob
--
robert w hall
Old January 9th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

define:backhaul in google gets some useful leads.

Phil

Old January 9th 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 Jan 2005 in uk.telecom.broadband, "PhilT" wrote:

define:backhaul in google gets some useful leads.

handy. Thanks. One that seems closest was

Network connections from a remote site, such as a mobile Base Station, to
a point of concentration such as an MSC or a BSC.
www.btinternet.com/~jidlaw/pages/glossary.html

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 9th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article .com,
PhilT writes
define:backhaul in google gets some useful leads.

Phil

yes but I can't (and haven't in the past) find anything which aspires to
be a primary reference (eg from a Telco) - what's yer offering Phil?
--
robert w hall