Hotspot-in-a-box

Old January 10th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

Default Hotspot-in-a-box

Hello all,

I'm on the brink of investing in the Netgear hotspot offering version to
sign up with The Cloud as a hotspot location using Metronet 512K ADSL at
20:1 contention.

As I read it I'll need a separate modem between my Neatgear router and the
ADSL access point.

Are there good/bad things I should be aware of? Anyone got a recommendation?

TIA Jeff

Old January 11th 05, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:40:50 +0000 (UTC), "Jeff Mowatt"
wrote:

I'm on the brink of investing in the Netgear hotspot offering version to
sign up with The Cloud as a hotspot location using Metronet 512K ADSL at
20:1 contention.

do Metronet's terms and conditions allow for operating a Hotspot ie
reselling / sharing their service ?

As I read it I'll need a separate modem between my Neatgear router and the
ADSL access point.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wifi_hotspot.php claims the box has
"everything you need" however the spec sheet says "Cable, DSL,
satellite or wireless broadband modem and Internet service" is a
System Requirement so you need an ADSL modem/router with an ethernet
socket.

TBH you should ask Netgear for a suggested configuration, as pure
ethernet ADSL modems are rare in the UK (three models ?) and
configuration can be an issue - does the Netgear box need the public
IP address for example ?

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 11th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wifi_hotspot.php claims the box has
"everything you need" however the spec sheet says "Cable, DSL,
satellite or wireless broadband modem and Internet service" is a
System Requirement so you need an ADSL modem/router with an ethernet
socket.

TBH you should ask Netgear for a suggested configuration, as pure
ethernet ADSL modems are rare in the UK (three models ?) and
configuration can be an issue - does the Netgear box need the public
IP address for example ?

Phil

Phil, Thanks. Yes, I should have asked them. I made a decision last night
anyway and ordered the ADSL2 from Linksys. The only other ethernet modem I
could find was Dlink.

Jeff

Old January 11th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

wrote:

Are there good/bad things I should be aware of?

You should probably look at the Terms & Conditions you signed up to
with Metronet - specifically :

4 Sub-Lease/Re-Selling Restrictions
The Customer agrees not to re-assign, re-sell, sub-lease or transfer
their account in any way, shape or form. Contravention shall lead to
immediate termination of the Service to the Customer.

That probably falls under the category of "bad things"

--
John Naismith

Aha, that's not so good. Better cancel that order ;-(

Old January 11th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

Well OK, I decided to write for clarification since their income will
increase in proportion to usage.

Old January 12th 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

Thanks John, though I wish you'd have said that first ;-(

In fact I referred to Metronet service in dialogue with The Cloud and they
said there wasn't a problem so I guess they don't know either!

It might be interesting to find out what BT thinks as they can't refuse
service to Metronet or block them from reselling yet Metronet can apparently
block BT from buying some of the bandwidth back via Openzone. Hmmm.

Jeff

Old January 12th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Mowatt

I've just got a reply from my enquiry and it's positive. Will post in a new
thread for general interest sake.

Jeff

Old January 17th 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:31:51 +0000 (UTC), "Jeff Mowatt"
wrote:

Well OK, I decided to write for clarification since their income will
increase in proportion to usage.

only up to the charging ceiling.

Phil
--
Splenda - the only sweetener made from chlorine :-)
Old January 17th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 17 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

Well OK, I decided to write for clarification since their income will
increase in proportion to usage.

only up to the charging ceiling.

and on a 1000 kbps (residential service at least) account, that is low.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old January 17th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:12:39 +0000 (UTC), in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Jeff Mowatt" wrote:

"John Naismith" wrote in message

4 Sub-Lease/Re-Selling Restrictions
The Customer agrees not to re-assign, re-sell, sub-lease or transfer
their account in any way, shape or form. Contravention shall lead to
immediate termination of the Service to the Customer.

That probably falls under the category of "bad things"

Aha, that's not so good. Better cancel that order ;-(

You could do worse than check with Ray Bellis of Community Internet
who was hoping to share a link using wireless... see the old item:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/08/19/uk_gov_rules_stall_rural/

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org