ISPs which 'throttle' rather than charge extra...

Old January 10th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Default ISPs which 'throttle' rather than charge extra...

Just curious to know if any ISPs will throttle back a 500 kbps service to
give browsing and so on at lower speed, rather than charge a fee per GB
for additional traffic ? I know plenty of people would say "go for the
unlimited option" but in the situation I'm thinking of, the extra cost
is something to be avoided even if there was to be a cut-off of service.

(Perhaps sometime in the future ADSLguide will have info about 'capped'
services, though I know it would be a major effort to redesign with the
complex options available right now!) Peter Morgan.
Old January 11th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:45:58 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

Just curious to know if any ISPs will throttle back a 500 kbps service to
give browsing and so on at lower speed, rather than charge a fee per GB
for additional traffic ? I know plenty of people would say "go for the
unlimited option" but in the situation I'm thinking of, the extra cost
is something to be avoided even if there was to be a cut-off of service.

I believe that is what BTYahoo intend doing when they actually
implement their cap.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.

Old January 11th 05, 03:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , us-
says...
Just curious to know if any ISPs will throttle back a 500 kbps service to
give browsing and so on at lower speed, rather than charge a fee per GB
for additional traffic ? I know plenty of people would say "go for the
unlimited option" but in the situation I'm thinking of, the extra cost
is something to be avoided even if there was to be a cut-off of service.

Eclipse do something like that with Home Broadband, if you set a zero
budget level then they throttle it after 1GB

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?...residentialfaq

except their service would give you speeds of up to 2Mbps if available.
Discussion at ADSLGuide came up wih a respomnse from eclipse that the
throttling would be down to something around dialup speed until the next
month starts.

FR