Suggestions on replacing current ISP

Old January 11th 05, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pedge

Default Suggestions on replacing current ISP

I'm thinking of changing my existing 512Kb Pipex connection and upgrade to
1Mb. Even though i've been with Pipex for 2.5 years and never experienced
any problems i'm looking at migrating too as Pipex's 1Mb option is slightly
over my budget of £30. If my exchange was enabled by Bulldog then I would
certainly consider that option but unfortunately it's not.

I use my current connection for downloading, VPN and hosting my site so an
uncapped package is best.

I would like advice from users out there on ISPs as to whether they offer
the same as Pipex such as allowing VPN connections, do not port block and
where the service is good. The two that i'm currently looking at is PlusNet
and Wanadoo with their unlimited 1Mb packages as they currently are rating
quite highly on AdslGuide's monthly speed tests.

I also understand that if I were to migrate then I would have to go on the
same broadband speed and then regrade to the higher speed.

Please let me know your experiences with the above and the best possible
options.

Thanks

Pedge
Old January 11th 05, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 11 Jan 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, Pedge wrote:

I use my current connection for downloading, VPN and hosting my site so an
uncapped package is best.

I would like advice from users out there on ISPs as to whether they offer
the same as Pipex such as allowing VPN connections, do not port block and
where the service is good. The two that i'm currently looking at is PlusNet
and Wanadoo with their unlimited 1Mb packages as they currently are rating
quite highly on AdslGuide's monthly speed tests.

Plus.Net has a fixed IP which may make life easier, but they may also have
a restriction if you are using the connection for a business (where their
more costly business account would be needed - it's why I have always had
a second account, and use my Plus.Net 500 kbps connection for mostly radio
streaming and sometimes the odd mail message or download... the audio is
usually running so I know my Plus.Net connection is up even if I'm not the
heaviest of users ~16 GB last month). I'd hesitate about hosting anything
from an ADSL connection as hosting is quite cheap these days - can host a
number of 500 MB web sites for 9 quid a month, where they're dedicated to
hosting, and with higher burst speed than a humble ADSL link can do!!

You can see some people are commenting on the news service but from the
look of it you could stick with NIN and just see a slightly cheaper bill
than on Pipex each month. There's a free migration policy document at
http://www.plus.net/guarantee/ if you did decide it wasn't for you,
so you could go back to Pipex or switch to Wanadoo if you felt any
concerns about the service from Plus.Net after using them at 500 (and
before upgrading to 1000). Good luck with the ISP you choose. Peter.

--
PlusNet http://tinyurl.com/3zgqv - I recommend them and save some cash.
Old January 11th 05, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Pedge wrote:
[...]

I'm in the same position having been with Pipex for the same time and am
disappointed that they are no longer competetive and have no wish to
keep me. I'm not worried about VPN or hosting atm. I'd rather host on a
dedicated hoster for the pennies it costs nowdays.

I was looking at ADSL4Less who do 1/2Mb uncapped for £14.99 plus a one
off £14.99 migration fee (I only really need 1/2Mb), or now the new
Tiscali 1Mb 2Gb capped with additional Gbs for £1.50 - but I need to
ascertain my usage first.

I'm sure both schemes will be more cost effective than Pipex now.
Old January 11th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

"johnydeath" wrote in message
Pedge wrote:
[...]

Second all the comments. I'm migrating aswell to plusnet. Come on Pipex, you
seem to be losing all your one mb customers! But I don't want to migrate
then Pipex drop there prices to sub £30. Knowing my luck it will probably
happen.

Is it likely they'll drop the charges when the BT 2mb trial is over?

Dan

Old January 11th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Sarah Vallin wrote:
madasafish are offering 2 months free for migrating customers

but they are more expensive than Pipex!!

http://www.madasafish.com/services/broadband/

obviously to pay Harry Enfields wages

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12...fish_einstein/
Old January 11th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Pedge wrote:
[...]

Itís alright moaning on a news group, but has any one tried telling
Pipex this?

Although I will admit that they probably know there more expensive and
therefore not so competitive. They did how ever reduce the cost of the
1Mb capped option, and also increased the cap. Donít know if that is a
sign from Pipex that they donít want to do uncapped???

As for the 2 Mb connections my guess is that they will put this up after
the trial period. If I remember right thatís what they did with the 1Mb
connections.

I have email Pipex in mid December 2004 asking them about their pricing
policy, but as yet have had no reply.

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with . moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna