Netgear dg834 suddenly stopped working!

Old January 11th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sarah

Default Netgear dg834 suddenly stopped working!

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. I have a netgear dg834
and it has been working fine for months, I have not made any changes
to my phoneline or connection with my isp. I have no problem making a
connection when i use a cable modem. However when I go back and plug
in the router, (with built in modem) I cannot connect. When I check
the status of the router on it's configuration page i see that it
permenantly has a status of connecting. The router is not beeing
assigned an IP address from my ISP. Any ideas or suggestions much
appreciated.

Sarah
Old January 11th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Sarah wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. I have a netgear dg834
and it has been working fine for months, I have not made any changes
to my phoneline or connection with my isp. I have no problem making a
connection when i use a cable modem. However when I go back and plug
in the router, (with built in modem) I cannot connect. When I check
the status of the router on it's configuration page i see that it
permenantly has a status of connecting. The router is not beeing
assigned an IP address from my ISP. Any ideas or suggestions much
appreciated.

Sarah

You could always try power cycling the unit & if that doesn't work a
complete reset to factiry defaults (small nole in back of unit)...

Other than that you have chacked your cabling haven't you....

Old January 11th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message
Sarah wrote:

assigned an IP address from my ISP. Any ideas or suggestions much
appreciated.

I had this problem and the modem side was doing nothing at all. I tried the
factory reset on the back of the router and this still didn't work.

I rang Netgear support who talked me through an extended factory reset which
involved multiple pushes of the reset button and power cycling.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact sequence.

Give the support line a call on 0870-112-1206 and they can talk you through
it.

Reagrds

Old January 11th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Something wrong with your statements?

Cable modem and an ADSL router is never going to work.

Cable is not ADSL.

om...

Old January 12th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I guess that post didn't work quite right :$
Yeah i got myself mixed up reading too many solutions to problems, it's
not a cable modem, it's the modem provided by my isp for the adsl line.

As for the other suggestions, I've tried power cycling (in fact in the
past i've had to do this regularly!) I've tried reseting the factory
settings - though the problem hasn't occurred from a change in setting
so that didn't work either.

I've tried the router at the main socket, I've tried the router with
different cables, and micro-filters.

I borrowed my brother's router and it get's a connection (it's the same
model with wireless capabilities)
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

Sarah

Old January 13th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Has your model got the latest firmware?

If it has, I think what I would do is uninstall everything related to the
router, reboot and reiinstall drivers.

Have you tried the router on your friends computer?

If it fails that maybe it is broken.

oups.com...

Old January 16th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

In message , Sarah
writes
I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. I have a netgear dg834
and it has been working fine for months, I have not made any changes
to my phoneline or connection with my isp. I have no problem making a
connection when i use a cable modem. However when I go back and plug
in the router, (with built in modem) I cannot connect. When I check
the status of the router on it's configuration page i see that it
permenantly has a status of connecting. The router is not beeing
assigned an IP address from my ISP. Any ideas or suggestions much
appreciated.

Can't help, but have a very similar problem. Owned a DG834G for almost
exactly a year. Very unreliable for the first few months, then they
released firmware V1.05.00, after which it was fine. Yesterday the
wireless links failed to work when I switched on; tested it with two
different laptops, no signal (and the led on the front is on steadily,
not blinking). I've tried power cycling, rebooting, reloading the
firmware, disabling and re-enabling the wireless options, all to no
avail. Then yesterday evening it started working again, suddenly. Now
today the wireless links are dead again. Nothing has changed - it's
just suddenly got unreliable.

I've emailed Netgear support line to ask for help, but of course have
had no reply at all.

--
Clive Page
Old January 17th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 16/01/2005 Clive Page wrote:

[snipped]

Can't help, but have a very similar problem. Owned a DG834G for
almost exactly a year. Very unreliable for the first few months,
then they released firmware V1.05.00, after which it was fine.
Yesterday the wireless links failed to work when I switched on;
tested it with two different laptops, no signal (and the led on the
front is on steadily, not blinking). I've tried power cycling,
rebooting, reloading the firmware, disabling and re-enabling the
wireless options, all to no avail. Then yesterday evening it started
working again, suddenly. Now today the wireless links are dead
again. Nothing has changed - it's just suddenly got unreliable.

I've emailed Netgear support line to ask for help, but of course have
had no reply at all.

I wonder if you're getting interference on the channel you are using?

Perhaps somebody nearby has just bought some kit that uses the same
range (e.g. another wireless router, DECT 'phone?).

I have similar problems with a Linksys WAG54G (on XP), it runs fine
then just stops. I spend half an hour fiddling and it starts again.

I have switched channels which sometimes helps. We could probably do
with some input from radio amateurs who can advise on propagation.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2
Old January 17th 05, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Jeff Gaines wrote:
[...]

If you were getting interferrence from other wifi products you may see them
if you do a search/scan from the computer you are wirelessly connecting to..

Having said the I have got a wireless connection to 2 pieces of kit, a
wireless/radio keyboard & mouse, a DECT phone system in my house (not to
mention the GSM link & mobile phone calls being used)& next door (literally
the other side of a wall) have set up a wireless link & also have a DECT
phone system & I have very few problems with my wifi link whilst net doors
problems are all caused by the number of thick walls between the 2 links
causing a low signal but it still works (even better now they've gone out &
bought a remote ariel for the card).....

So the radio spectrum is a little bit congested in my immediate area (I can
even pick up the local college's SSID beacons when that is turned on) but
I've never had any problems other than those caused by fat fingers (setting
up on the incorrect channel, putting the incorrect key in etc).

It is most probably a hardware issue but trying to get any support/proving
it.......well best of luck, not unless you live somewhere near Nottingham as
I do know of someone who has a surplus of wifi routers.......