Cable ADSL + Wireless?

Old January 11th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

Default Cable ADSL + Wireless?

I have just gone wireless........

A colleague with cable adsl came and said she wanted to go wireless and
asked "what do I need?".

I haven't a clue!

Are the requirements / connections the same? She's with Telewest, if that
helps. Are the connections the same i.e. buy an ADSL Gateway, modem
etcetera and plug in the same way as I do with my BT connection?

Sorry I am so vague but I don't know what Telewest / Cable companies
install.

Old January 11th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote in
message ...
I have just gone wireless........

A colleague with cable adsl came and said she wanted to go wireless and
asked "what do I need?".

I haven't a clue!

Are the requirements / connections the same? She's with Telewest, if that
helps. Are the connections the same i.e. buy an ADSL Gateway, modem
etcetera and plug in the same way as I do with my BT connection?

Sorry I am so vague but I don't know what Telewest / Cable companies
install.

I don't *know* for Telewest, but if it's anything like NTL's cable broadband
it needs to be a cable router, as opposed to an ADSL router...

---

Old January 11th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote in
:

Are the connections the same i.e. buy an ADSL Gateway, modem
etcetera and plug in the same way as I do with my BT connection?

Do not waste any money on an ADSL gateway - ADSL and cable are two
completely separate architectures.

The Cable modem will be terminated in a standard ethernet port. It passes
the IP on to a registered machine.

Your simplest bet is to by a wireless access point with a standard ethernet
port. You then give Telewest the MAC address of that port and connect it up
to the cable modem. As long as you're AP does NAT routing and is set to get
its LAN IP from DHCP it should work.

--
Colin
Old January 12th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:05:26 -0000, "NewsGroupQuestion"
wrote:

I have just gone wireless........

A colleague with cable adsl

Cable's not DSL. More info at http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/hfc . I
think it's much better, but then I would say that :-)

came and said she wanted to go wireless and
asked "what do I need?".

We offer our own wireless product, so this might be the best solution
as it includes support etc if needed:

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/wireless

Other than that there's a whole bunch of (unsupported) solutions that
shouldl work - suggest having a read up on the BY users site
(http://www.by-users.co.uk).

Good luck

Alex

--

Alex Brown
blueyonder Product Manager
Old January 12th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On 11 Jan 2005 23:54:18 GMT, cw wrote:

The Cable modem will be terminated in a standard ethernet port.

Or USB, depending on how the machine is set up.

Your simplest bet is to by a wireless access point with a standard ethernet
port. You then give Telewest the MAC address of that port and connect it up
to the cable modem.

You no longer need to register MAC addresses of your own devices with
us, we just authenticate against the MAC address of the Cable Modem
within our internal systems which is tied to the customers' account.

HTH

Alex

Old January 12th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

I think it's much better, but then I would say that :-)

I would probably agree but we cant get cable here even though I am 4 miles
from castleford (which has it) and about 7 miles form Leeds (which mostly
has it).

Its a shame about the promises or covering the uk with it that most
companies claimed at the begining!

Not all bad though, we do have 1meg adsl !

Simon.

Old January 12th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroupQuestion

We offer our own wireless product, so this might be the best solution
as it includes support etc if needed:

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/wireless

Other than that there's a whole bunch of (unsupported) solutions that
shouldl work - suggest having a read up on the BY users site
(http://www.by-users.co.uk).

Good luck

Alex
Alex Brown
blueyonder Product Manager
Consumer Service Excellence, Telewest Broadband

Thanks Alex, your input is appreciated - I will direct my colleague to your
solution as I agree totally with your comments about support etcetera.

Old January 12th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:36:46 -0000, "NewsGroupQuestion"
wrote:

Thanks Alex, your input is appreciated - I will direct my colleague to your
solution as I agree totally with your comments about support etcetera.

No problems - good luck!

Alex